Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Do you have a "flusher" on your black tank where you connect a water hose and it sprays into the tank? If you don't have one, that would be a great mod to do!

My procedure is this:

1. Connect a water hose to the flusher inlet and turn it on

2. Open the black tank valve

3. When the tank is empty (I also have the clear elbow) I shut off the black tank valve and let the flusher run about two minutes.

4. I repeat step #3 until the water is fairly clear. This usually takes 3 to 4 dumps.

5. I close the black tank valve and let the flusher continue to run for about a minute to put water into the tank for travel.

6. Open the gray tank valve and let it empty while I go inside and put Happy Camper treatment in the black tank through the toilet.

7. Close the gray tank valve

8. Disconnect the flusher hose from the inlet and put a nozzle on the hose.

9. Put on disposable gloves, disconnect the sewer hose from the RV, and use the water hose with the nozzle to wash it out, with the other end still in the sewer pipe.

10. Remove the fitting with the clear elbow from the RV, put the cap on the sewer outlet, store everything, and we're through with that unpleasant job!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Calgon???? As in fabric softener? This is a new one to me. How much and when?
The Geo Method / Black and Gray Water Holding Tank Maintenance

I do this a couple of times a year. I try to get it done on the very last trip before winter storage, but don't stress out if I can't.

jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #17

Are you saying it takes 3 hours to drain the tank? If so, there is something drastically wrong. It should drain in 5-10 minutes.

You might try draining your tank and then bring in a hose and run a full force into the toilet to see if you can break up anything in there.

Also remember that before emptying that black tank it needs to be almost full to get a good pressure on the emptying. If you're RVing for only a weekend, it probably is not full when you empty it. Hold the pedal down to fill it until you can actually see the water in the tank starting to come up high to the toilet piping. Or keep filling buckets using your shower/tub and then dumping them into the toilet - a little faster.

If only weekending it and you have full hookups, use that flusher a lot when you flush so you fill that tank when you're ready to leave.

Also, it's o.k. to store your RV with some water in it. That will keep things from drying out in there and it might help to loosen things that have hardened in the past.

In 16 years of full-timing the only thing we used in the black tank was lots of water. No chemicals. Never any problems.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Are you saying it takes 3 hours to drain the tank? If so, there is something drastically wrong. It should drain in 5-10 minutes.
I think the OP meant it takes 3 hours of flushing to get the output to run clear.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #19

OP here. Yes the original dump is 5 to 10 minutes, but the refilling and dumping the next 5 times gets me close to 3 hours. We do put other stuff away while we the tank is filling but still can't really put hoses away until finished with black tank. It just seems to always spit out some TP even though water is clean. It's like I could stand there all day filling and draining. I am thinking I might have my standards too high. Though I still think the previous owners did not clean it as well and I think I need to use more water when I am flushing the commode.

We do basically the procedure from Happycampers, so that made me feel pretty good.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
All I do is pull the back tank first the start breaking camp let drain till empty , close the valve then open grey tank , when empty off I go.
For winter storage I'll flush the black tank but I don't get to excited about it.
gbstewart
gbstewart
Same here.

There is no way, (and no reason), to flush the black tank until what comes out is perfectly clean.
Filling and dumping the tank 4-5 times after the initial dump is not a sensible or useful flushing procedure.
I only flush/clean my blank tank once or twice a year and then only for 15-20 minutes...(I've found that more than that is a waste of time).

BTW, as you know, if you ever smell sewage inside your coach you are doing something wrong, (like running a fan or driving with a window open) ....or something in your drain system is not working properly, (like a toilet seal or an air admittance valve).

Mel
'96 Safari, 136k miles
Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by malsbeaver View Post
OP here. Yes the original dump is 5 to 10 minutes, but the refilling and dumping the next 5 times gets me close to 3 hours. We do put other stuff away while we the tank is filling but still can't really put hoses away until finished with black tank. It just seems to always spit out some TP even though water is clean. It's like I could stand there all day filling and draining. I am thinking I might have my standards too high. Though I still think the previous owners did not clean it as well and I think I need to use more water when I am flushing the commode.

We do basically the procedure from Happycampers, so that made me feel pretty good.

Thanks
If you don't have a tank flush kit installed I'd just pull the black and flush the toilet several times. It sounds like you are going alittle over board
Old 01-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #22

OP here again. After lots of research and you smart people helping me, I think I am going a little overboard.

However smell was brought up so thought I would pose this question. Our coach does NOT smell. I don't notice black tank smell at all, until we are close to about day 6 then when I flus the commode I notice a smell. At that point I would suspect tank is 50% full, and typically about day 8 we are packing up so we don't dump yet. Am I doing anything wrong since it smells about day 6 or is that just expected after days of it in holding? Again it is fine until end of trip.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #23

Chiming in here.

I do HVAC/R, as suggested by my handle. I used to do some plumbing. Here's my take, interspersed with what I do.

Once or twice a year, we'll stop a couple of hours from our destination and buy several bags of ice. I'll break it up as best I can outside the camper and put it in the black tank through the potty. The motion of the camper makes the ice move around and scrub the inside of the tank. If the CG doesn't have full hook ups, I'll drive around until I can pull into the dump station to empty the tank. I've seen some interesting things come out even with the technique that I already have.

What are my techniques? First off, we don't go for CG's that are full hook up. If we have them, good. If we don't, we take the rolling tank.

We hardly ever dump at the CG, since I set up a way to dump at the S&B. I use a Sewer Solution with 55' of extra 1" dedicated PVC pipe to get to the 4" clean out on my septic tank. Our Bounder came with a black tank flush and I use it to fill the tank after it's 'empty.' I still get brown balls and TP after a 3rd and 4th fill and flush at times.

When we do have full hook ups, I'll make sure the black valve is closed until it shows 3/4 full or better. Then, I'll close the gray valve until it's had a couple of loads of dishes and a shower or two. I'll open the black valve until it's finished then open the gray AND black at the same time to get some backwash into the black. I'll close the gray until the black is empty and maybe do it a couple more times.

I hardly ever use chemicals but I do make sure that as soon as we arrive somewhere, 2 to gallons of water is put in the black tank. This helps to prevent the dreaded Black Pyramid under the potty.

I never have problems with the black tank and never have smells. I also never wear gloves. I'm careful and make sure I wash my hands thoroughly (saying the ABC's twice) when I'm done.

Your mileage may vary.

Flame away!
HeatAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
its called the Geo method laundry soap & calgon look it up on google
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Kris - once the tank level hits the bottom of the vent pipe, it will start to smell. Time to dump.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Black Tank dumping question

malabeaver..... Don't get too anal about this. (sorry, couldn't resist) Keep it simple. You fill the tank, and you empty the tank. Fulltiming almost three years now. No chemicals, no specialty toilet paper. Just plenty of water. If that means we dump the tank one day sooner than someone else, so be it.

Starting out we used the Scott 1000 single ply paper. My admittedly unscientific observation is that if you use a single ply tissue or the special RV paper you'll simply wind up using twice as much paper. We quickly returned to the paper we had used in our S/B for years- Quilted Northern 2-ply. Have not had any problem.

Plenty of water with each use. Empty when nearly full. My 45 gallon black tank drains from full in about 30 - 40 seconds or so, even with the flush system running. I then close the dump valve and let my integral flush continue to run for 5 more min., putting 15-20 gallons into the black, which I then drain again. Close the valve and let the flush keep running for 2 min to put a starter base in the tank, and I'm done. Total time to drain and flush: about 10 min-- and 7 of that is just letting the flush run. Side note: DO NOT walk away from the water bay with your flush line running. You invite disaster.

Good Luck!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #27

I use one (1) cup of Calgon water softener dissolved in a gallon of water and one-half (1/2) of a small bottle of Dawn dish soap from the Dollar Tree store ($1 a bottle) in a gallon of water. Mix and pour into the toilet/down into the black water tank. Do this a few days before you head out on your next outing.
When you break camp to head home, do a dump and a regular flush. Repeat the Calgon/Dawn treatment before putting your coach away.

If you have room in the dump compartment add a third valve. Dump the black tank, close the third valve, open the gray water valve, let it level out into the black water tank. Close the gray valve, open the third valve. Repeat.

After only a couple times (depending on how bad the problem is) you will have a quick and easily clean flush.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #28

OMG!

Tags
tank