Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

Black tank flushing

Hi,

I have read many very useful tips on the many different techniques used to backflush.

My question is, if you are camping for a month or so at one location what would be the recommendation for how often to backflush the black tank?

Thanks
jimrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Depends.....

Depends how much you use it......My thought would be sooner rather than later. I know... this was a tremendous help, right?...
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every time that I dump, I do a back flush regardless of how long I am at the site.
That way I know it is clean as much as possible with black tank.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrf View Post
Hi,

I have read many very useful tips on the many different techniques used to backflush.

My question is, if you are camping for a month or so at one location what would be the recommendation for how often to backflush the black tank?

Thanks
We backflush our tank every time to keep it clean and remove as mush debris as you can. Also add about 2 cup of Calon dry powder softer to to 2 cups hot water dissolve and want to your black tank to clean it better..place in when tank is half full or with a 1/3 on and it help keep the stuff off the tank walls.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We backflush every other time we dump which is normally my every Sunday chore. It keeps it clean and have had no issues.
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I thoroughly flush the black tank every time I dump!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #7

At a minimum after the black tank is emptied we will dump at least 2-3 2 1/2 gallon buckets down the toilet to flush it and if no one is waiting behind us to dump we will increase that or hook a hose up to the black tank flush Inlet and let it run. But we always try to flush enough water through until it is running clear at the sewer hose.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Black tank flushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrf View Post
.............if you are camping for a month or so at one location..... how often to backflush the black tank?...... .....

The proper answer comes with understanding how to use a black tank. It is just a holding tank, and the thorough emptying depends on plenty of water in the daily use. With a full tank that is largely water, a good strong flow head develops when you open the valve, with the water rapidly carrying the paper and solids down the drain line with it. If you're too parsimonious with water use day to day there will be a large percentage of solids and paper in the tank, and the drain flow will be slower and less efficient, potentially leaving a lot behind.

So the purpose of the backflush is to pick up and wash out any leftovers in the tank, or paper remnants stuck to the sides. Thus, you should do a basic flush with each drain.

What I do is run the flush line as I'm draining. When the main drain is done I let it run another ten seconds or so 'til it's running pretty clear. I close the dump valve and let the flush run for about 5 minutes. This will rinse paper off the sides and put about 5 gal of water in.

I open the dump valve and let it drain again, then close the valve and let the flush run for another minute, then shut off the flush and disconnect it. This leaves the black tank empty and flushed with a gallon or so in the bottom to preclude anything drying out initially, and I've only used about 6-7 gallons of water. I've used this process for over five years without issue.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #9

Every time. As mentioned, I turn on the flush while dumping, shut the valve, let the flush fill the tank half full, dump again, close valve and leave the flush on while dumping the grey tank. I also flush the toilet 2-3 times for each "use". You can't introduce too much water into the black tank. I try to put in enough water so both tanks fill in the same time period.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #10

We stay where there is no dump. We have one of those little mercinator pumps. Once every 7 to 10 days I hook it up And pump out tank it is about 110ft. To a sewer line, we do this without any flush out of system for 3 mo ths every summer when we get to our next campsite with full hookups we thoraly flush. No problems in 4 years we have stayed here.
MikeMerru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, black tank