Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2005, 07:07 AM   #15

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick A:
Would the regular Blue deoderizer adversely affect the Rid-X? My understanding is it is just a deodorizer and does not contain any formaldahyde. Couldn't the Rid-X and a deoderizer be put in together? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you're probably right. If it's just a deoderizer, it probably would be fine to put in with the Rid-X. I never had much luck with deoderizers so I don't use them. The one or two times I had a smell, it was after being stored for a while and I hadn't used anything, (even Rid-X) in the tank. Now, I don't use anything at all. I just make sure I have a really clean tank (I use an in-tank sprayer) before storage. Go ahead and use the deoderizer if it is ONLY a deoderizer.

If you can get there after a dump, I would go and put in the Rid-X and fill at least half full with water and, if you want, deoderizer.

If it were me, my goal for the next few weeks would be to try and have the tank sitting for the maximum amount of time with fresh water and Rid-X.

This Rid-X approach is not going to help overnight, but, I would think that it will eventually eat through your problem. Make sure that you have Rid-X in the tank as much as possible. You might also want to ask at a septic service company if they can recommend a stronger, maybe faster acting product than Rid-X. Good luck.

camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2005, 08:08 AM   #16

I'm pretty new at this, but had a couple of thoughts...

My toilet has an overflow drain, the little hole below where the water squirts out in the side of the bowl... It apparenlty has a trap in it so there is supposed to be a water barrier preventing odors from getting inside.

I suspected air pressure differences while traveling were pushing the water out of mine, so as an experiment I stuffed a foam ear plug into the hole, and it helped.

If you are there only on weekends, I wonder if you could be loosing the water in the trap for the overflow drain?

One caution, though, if you plug the drain and were to have the fresh water valve start leaking while you weren't there....

For me, I shut off the fresh water when I'm gone, just as a precaution.

The other thing I was wondering about- Do you shut the bathroom fan off when you flush?

My fan seems to suck fumes up from the black tank if left on when the flush valve is open...

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #17

I only use the bathroom fan when we are taking showers. I wish it were as simple as that. I am guessing that there is just a bunch of gunk on the bottom of the tank. After it is dumped and I look in with a flashlight, I can't see a white tank, it looks dark, so therefore, I think there is just an abundance of this gunk sitting there. Any ideas on how much a new holding tank costs? If I can't solve this problem this year, I may opt to do that for next year.

Matthew
Ernhrts3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 AM   #18

Update on the odor. I went to the campground on Wednesday afternoon and put in about 1/2 cup of rid-x and 2 packets of deodorizer. I then addend 3 gallons of water to the tank. When using the bathroom I made sure to use extra water while flushing. Well, guess what? No odors! The only time that I had an odor was when I was holding the tank open (after about 5 minutes) to fill before leaving last night to fill the tank with fresh water before dumping. I am going to have the tank dumped every weekend instead of every other weekend. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it and I am sure that my neighbors do to!

Matthew
Ernhrts3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:41 AM   #19

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernhrts3n8:
Update on the odor. I went to the campground on Wednesday afternoon and put in about 1/2 cup of rid-x and 2 packets of deodorizer. I then addend 3 gallons of water to the tank. When using the bathroom I made sure to use extra water while flushing. Well, guess what? No odors! The only time that I had an odor was when I was holding the tank open (after about 5 minutes) to fill before leaving last night to fill the tank with fresh water before dumping. I am going to have the tank dumped every weekend instead of every other weekend. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it and I am sure that my neighbors do to! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! Glad to hear it. I know that can be really frustrating. Later.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:13 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear the odor problem is on the way to being solved. You can keep it gone by following camperb1's advice: use lots of water to flush and only dump when it is [nearly] full.

With a 40 gallon black tank and only weekend use by two people, you can probably go 3-4 weekends between dumps, even being generous with the water.

You won't see a "white tank" when it is empty; the tank quickly discolors and is likley the tank is made of black plastic anyway.

If you get odors when the flush valve is closed, the culprit is the overflow hole that Jeff metioned. Find the hole (under the rim on most Thetford models) and run some water into it to refill the trap in the overflow line. I had one once that the overflow tube had been improperly installed and there was no dip in the drain tube to form a trap - there was often a lingering smell until I rerouted the tube.

If you must use chemicals, I suggest an enzyme-type product. However, many fulltimers use none at all - a regularly used RV toilet won't stink. Often the chemicals actually prevent normal bacterial action that clenase the crud and will cause the smell rather than eliminating it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:18 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Just a note for those that will have to have someone come out and cleanout a tank that otherwise will not dump or the odors are too bad and can't see to correct. THere is a company that does have the camera and high power flush that we used in Az. They are a franchise so there are more of them out there. It is amazing how much of a recorded differance we saw on the video tape before and after this service was performed. We even used them once to recover a ring that was lost down into a gray tank. Had the ring out in lest than 15 minutes. We we planing to have to remove the tank to retrive the ring but I thought of this company and tried them first. Needless to say I had one happy camper when I gave them their ring back and a smaller bill than they were expecting.
A venturi is an effective negative pressure created when airflow passes around a port or tube. This creates a slight vaccum and can help in pulling gasses out of the tank. One brand is RV360. There are others; some rotate with wind direction some do not and only work when driving or when wind is right.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:31 PM   #22

Hi I might have missed something in these posts But I believe that you have a vent from your blackwater tank that is vented thru the roof and it could be that their is an obstruction in the pipe like a birds nest or something. That happened to us once. Good Luck
Old 08-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #23

try RV360. That is a venturi type system. Easy mount. We had odor problems and that helped cure it. That and a dose of chemical worked wonders
Old 08-29-2005, 08:12 AM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
If you have buildup then a way to get your tank clean initially use about 6 oz of Joy detergent, at least 6 bags of cubed ice and 10 gals of water and drive around for an hour making as many turns as you can. The ice will 'scrub' the inside of your tank. Flush completely with fresh water twice afterwards.

We use Xtreme Vent on our vent pipes (like RV360 but lower profile) and combination of Rid-X (slow acting) and Eco-Save (fast acting) bacterial/enzyme products. We use ample amounts of water (very key item). Usually our tank smells like clean dirt and two of us on a 54 gal tank can go at least a week before needing to dump.

When dumping I flush during the dump, close off, add 5 gals fresh water, dump again and add a couple of gals of water along with fresh doses of bacteria/enzymes as a base.

When going into storage I dump as described above, refill to capacity with fresh water and dump again. I then leave the tank dump valves open and put on a vented cap (CW, $5). Between the vented cap and the Xtreme Vent there is nearly constant air flowing through the tank which dries it out.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote