Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I know this can go under any of the smaller groups too, but I realy need a answer.

This is our second rig with a bathroom and we never had any trouble with the first one. You can smell our tank in the bathroom, we keep water in the toilet above the ring. My question is, is there a gasget of some type between the toilet and the floor that may be pinched or something or do I just tighten down the two bolts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I know this can go under any of the smaller groups too, but I realy need a answer.

This is our second rig with a bathroom and we never had any trouble with the first one. You can smell our tank in the bathroom, we keep water in the toilet above the ring. My question is, is there a gasget of some type between the toilet and the floor that may be pinched or something or do I just tighten down the two bolts?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Jim,

If tightening the two floor flange bolts doesn't help try a new floor flange seal. It could have been pinched when installed and now allowing odors to pass.

They look like this and only cost about $10:

Old 09-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

See if the toilet has an overflow drain, usually under the lip of the bowl. If so, and the P-trap on the drain line is dry, odors may be coming up there. Pour some water in the drain hole to fix. Sometimes the commode is not properly installed and the p-trap (often just a loop in th drain hose) is not there or not sufficient to hold water. In that case, a bit of caulk in the overflow hole fixes it until you can fix the trap.

It could be gray tank smell to, which sometimes comes up through a defective vacuum breaker (look under the sink) or via the shower drain if its p-trap does not hold water as it should.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, we leave to go home in the morning, so I will take a closer look when we get it home. Its such a long drive I hate to take it all the way back to the dealer.
Again thanks for the input.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #6
CD

Kablewizard
Don't overlook the vent pipe for the tank. We had a case of mud dobbers making a nest in ours. After replacing the toilet and several years I was enlightened here on this forum.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #7

Hi Jim! I'd like to add tow more things to the list of possibilities. The black tank vent pipe may not be sealed to the tank proper. This appears to be common regrettably. A worker cuts the hole in the black tank, sticks the vent pipe in, and "forgets" to seal around it.
If you notice the odor when flushing more, the vent pipe may have slipped down into the tank. The liquid level covers the pipe end blocking any venting. This means the only way for the displaced air to go is up the commode.
Good Luck brother.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:53 AM   #8

We just had the same problem with ours. I called the customer service people at Double Tree. they had me check under the cap of the vent pipe on the roof. Turns out we had to cut off about 1/4" from the pipe. It was touching the cap, not allowing the vent to work. Before cutting the pipe we left the cap up and flushed several times to make sure that was the problem.

2001 Volvo "Suite-T"
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #9

I chased odors for a month before finding the problem.The dealer changed the seal in my sealand toilet.It wasn't tightened enough and leaked under the cover and collected on top of the tank.The odor then came up thru small openings around the pipes .The toilet held water fine till someone sat .The pressure would cause the top section to shift and allow the liquid to leak out down the side under the cover.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:34 AM   #10
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Would one of these maybe help?
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=643
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #11

Had a similiar problem. Turned out that the tank had never been flushed properly and after multiple flushings and some heavy duty use of toilet chemicals the odor is gone. (Unless I leave the toilet valve open too long while the fantastic fan is going).

Now when I get home from a trip I flush it completely and then fill it completely, and add chemicals, and then leave it full until the next trip. This seems to prevent anything left in the tank from drying and sticking to the sides to create odor later.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed-Deb:
Now when I get home from a trip I flush it completely and then fill it completely, and add chemicals, and then leave it full until the next trip. This seems to prevent anything left in the tank from drying and sticking to the sides to create odor later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd never thought of doing that, but I'm thinking it's not a bad idea. A second advantage, I would think, would be that leaving the tank full between trips and adding chemicals would tend to clean those troublesome tank level sensors that never seem to read correctly - especially if you leave the clean full tank to slosh around while you drive to your first night's stop on the next trip.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
UGH...we are having that situation in our new coach. Something just ain't right. We don't have time or resources to figure it out right now....we may just have to stop by the factory on our way home next month. We already have something on the record...

I'll give DH these suggestions though -- in case he wants to pursue. Thanks for the ideas.

Rose
Old 09-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #14
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
well I started to check it out, I took the seat off and the gasket looked good , it didnt seem tight but I am not sure how tight it should be.
I didnt seem to find and kind of over flow hole so I dont think I have one. How do you know how far the air tube is in the tank? I will be getting on the roof tomarrow to check the cap.

Rose your sheltie looks like one of ours we have 3 one male and to females.