RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #1

Black tank smell

On our latest trip with our Cougar Xlite travel trailer we had a black tank odor, but not in the bathroom. When I returned home, while emptying the tank, I put a tank sprayer wand down through the toilet and rinsed extensively. I still have the odor, but it is in the bathroom. The normal water rinse out connection to the trailer is plugged and will not allow water to pass. I have even tried compressed air to open that. The sensor still shows there may be something left in the tank, but when I look down through the stool, nothing shows. Is there something I can put in the tank that would dissolve waste, if there still is some? Any help is appreciated. I'm sure this type of problem has been covered extensively.

Hapecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Odor in the bathroom indicates a possible issue with the toilet bowl seal. Run some water into the bowl and let it sit. Does the odor dissipate? Does the water gradually leak down? If so, the bowl seal is the culprit.

steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

It could be caused by your roof vent being clogged, the bath window open, the bath fan running, the seal in your toilet not holding water.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #4

How long has the smell been there versus the rinser being plugged? Regardless, There is or should be a backflow preventer on the rinser plumbing to prevent stuff from flowing out the rinser input. Sometimes these fail and will allow odor from the black tank to enter the bathroom. Commonly the valve is located under the bathroom vanity, the cheap ones are a black plastic, small, square in shape. There are other types. This is different than an Air Admittance Valve which may be attached to the sink drain.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #5

".....we had a black tank odor, but not in the bathroom.
.........rinsed extensively. I still have the odor, but it is in the bathroom"

So .......WHERE are you noticing the odor?

Smells are not always black tank....can be grey tank or even batteries

Black Tank.
Toilet bowl holding water......NO. Clean/replace bowl seal
Toilet floor flange gasket.....might not allow wtaer to leak but can allow tank odors. Need to check hold down bolts (snug) and 'sniff' (have to ID source before you can fix issue)

Grey Tank
Air Admittance Valve ....on kitchen/bathroom sink drain lines after the 'P' trap. Doesn't close then grey tank odors come back into RV ....Grey STINKS. Rubber-band a plastic bag over them to see if odors go away. Hardware store have replacements

'P' Traps going/being sucked dry.

Waste tank vent lines obstructed

Batteries boiling off........overcharging/loss of water levels...can stink

SO.........
WHERE do you smell the 'odors'????

tank flush system
Under bathroom sink is the Anti-Siphon Vacuum Breaker

2 water lines....one to bottom is supply line/one out the side is going to nozzle in tank
Nozzle is just short piece with holes drilled in it to spray water out.
Holes get plugged from debris/minerals

Vacuum Breaker fail but usually leak water inside
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #6

For a chemical, Happy Camper Extreme.....Amazon
Old 08-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
".....we had a black tank odor, but not in the bathroom.
.........rinsed extensively. I still have the odor, but it is in the bathroom"

So .......WHERE are you noticing the odor?

Smells are not always black tank....can be grey tank or even batteries

Black Tank.
Toilet bowl holding water......NO. Clean/replace bowl seal
Toilet floor flange gasket.....might not allow wtaer to leak but can allow tank odors. Need to check hold down bolts (snug) and 'sniff' (have to ID source before you can fix issue)

Grey Tank
Air Admittance Valve ....on kitchen/bathroom sink drain lines after the 'P' trap. Doesn't close then grey tank odors come back into RV ....Grey STINKS. Rubber-band a plastic bag over them to see if odors go away. Hardware store have replacements

'P' Traps going/being sucked dry.

Waste tank vent lines obstructed

Batteries boiling off........overcharging/loss of water levels...can stink

SO.........
WHERE do you smell the 'odors'????

tank flush system
Under bathroom sink is the Anti-Siphon Vacuum Breaker

2 water lines....one to bottom is supply line/one out the side is going to nozzle in tank
Nozzle is just short piece with holes drilled in it to spray water out.
Holes get plugged from debris/minerals

Vacuum Breaker fail but usually leak water inside
This is well-worth repeating, so I did, on old-biscuit's behalf.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #8

One other thing that people never remember is that toilet has an overfill drain, that drain has a trap in it, if that trap has ran dry it will let sewer gas into the RV. Overfill the toilet or use the sprayer to get water into that hole, just make sure the overfill hole gets flooded.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraguy View Post
One other thing that people never remember is that toilet has an overfill drain, that drain has a trap in it, if that trap has ran dry it will let sewer gas into the RV. Overfill the toilet or use the sprayer to get water into that hole, just make sure the overfill hole gets flooded.

Maybe.....
Most RV gravity toilets do NOT have an 'overflow'
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #10

Look under your sink for the Air admittance valve. I bet its bad and you are getting gray tank smell in the bath room. Been there had that!
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraguy View Post
I agree. As we were driving on twisty roads and then got parked sometimes we'd have a smell. One flush to re-fill that trap and the smell was gone. It only happened on curvy roads.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Maybe.....
Most RV gravity toilets do NOT have an 'overflow'

I have not found that to be the case. Can you please share a model that does not have one? I have had a few RV's, both plastic toilets and china, even the plastic stool had one.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #13

Where would this overflow go to?

I went into the camper tonight and didnít notice the smell. The water seal seems fine. The smell was originally just outside the bathroom.
Hapecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapecamper View Post
Where would this overflow go to?

I went into the camper tonight and didnít notice the smell. The water seal seems fine. The smell was originally just outside the bathroom.
Years ago we owned a 1992 5er that had a commode with an overflow hole under the rim, it had a P-trap in it, overflow went into black tank. When we traveled rough roads that P-trap would lose the water, to refill the P-trap we merely filled the bowl up to the rim, which re-filled the P-trap.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, smell, tank