RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Black Tank....what happened?!!

I hooked up my sewers at my site and turned my water on. My main level bathroom has been used at my last sight, however it hadnít even read at the first level yet, so I didnít bother emptying it before I traveled to this site.

After a hour or so, my DW said to me that she was having trouble flushing the main floor bathroom, as the water would not go down. I checked the sensors and it showed that the tank was full.

I ran outside pulled the black tank valve and started emptying it and I noticed that water was pouring out from the underbelly of my unit.

I figure that somehow after I hooked up to water, something had to of been pressing against the toilet lever, because how else would water empty into the black tank?. I checked my black tank rinse hose and it was hooked up BUT turned off.

What damage have I done? Where was the water overflowing from, because I noticed my floors are not wet at all.

Any help would be appreciated

DJP6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #2

More than likely the underbelly was filled from the top of the tank. Many manufacturers don’t glue the pipes going into the black or gray systems. They just stub in a bit of pipe to the tank, so if you overfill the tank, it all goes into the belly. You’ll need to open it up and dry out the insulation at a minimum... depending on soil amounts, you might be replacing fiberglass batts around the tank. Your tank level indicator may be lying to you! Look at you tank capacity and maybe check to see if it will show a higher level with adding some fresh water.

Encmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You have a hazmat issue now if it is black water.....I would let professionals assist you in cleaning this mess up. If your undersides of the rig are soaked, so is the insulation.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #4

You sure you didn't hook up your city water to the black tank rinser? Overflows out the rooftop vent or malfunctioning AAV.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
You sure you didn't hook up your city water to the black tank rinser? Overflows out the rooftop vent or malfunctioning AAV.
My first thought.
Fritz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:16 PM   #6

tfryman

My wife did that exact thing two years ago. I did not catch it until it over flowed the black tank. In our 2012 Phaeton which has a bath and 1/2 it over flowed by coming thru the toilet that is directly over the black tank. Bit of a mess that my wife was happy to clean up. No solids just liquid stuff. She wanted to help set up the RV. I assigned her the job of hooking up the water thinking what could go wrong?
rgwarren718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #7

AAV would NOT be on black tank unless bathroom sink drain goes to black.
Then it would have overflowed into bathroom cabinet/inside RV

Waste tank sensors are notoriously LOUSY

You mentioned you have the black tank rinse hose hooked up but OFF
Probably wasleaking thru

Toilet......if water stays in bowl it didn't fill black tank

Black tank overfilling.....vent line & possibly toilet line may be installed into top of tank via a grommet which hold pipes OK but don't always seal when water pushes against them

Drop the underbelly.......
Pull the wet insulation out
Use fans to blow dry underside
Spray area down with bleach solution
Clean up, new insulation, underbelly back in place

AND do NOT hookup black tank flush hose unless you are going to use it.
Valve leaking thru (which probably got you) someone accidently turning it on/intentionally turn it on etc.
Leave it disconnected.....
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
AND do NOT hookup black tank flush hose unless you are going to use it.
Valve leaking thru (which probably got you) someone accidently turning it on/intentionally turn it on etc.
Leave it disconnected.....
I think that happened to me on my first outing in the new fiver a few weeks ago. Went to empty gray water... removed cap from gray water line and was met with gallons of kitchen sink water! Thought valve was bad. After second trip it never leaked, not a drop. Now I suspect someone opened and then closed the valve to be ďfunnyĒ.
Encmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
AAV would NOT be on black tank unless bathroom sink drain goes to black.
Then it would have overflowed into bathroom cabinet/inside RV
That's a pretty common scenario and why I mentioned it in my post.

tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank