Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #1

Black Water Holding Tank

I have a 2003 Monaco that the black holding tank is in need of some serious cleaning do to my neglect. The spray cleaner was never used and now its plugged. It has set several times without emptying, I know I,m a bad boy but what is the fix? Chemicals/Replacement or what ever? Thanks Jim Senn Athol Idaho
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lots of water.

Fill, flush, repeat.

They do have hoses/wands to fill from above to assist.

I have heard people dumping ice in as well. Also water softener maybe, (Calgon). I have no experience with ice or Calgon, but it sure works according to those that have.

Best wishes!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Better way is 15 to 20 gallons of water 1 cup dishwasher powder, 20-30 lbs ice cubes, some water softener, drive down a twisty road for 100 miles or more until the ice cubes have all melted. This will take care of just about anything.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

Are you saying that your tank is plugged or is it your sprayer that is plugged?
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Buy a jar of the Happy Campers Extreme Tank Cleaner to clean up the black tank first.

To fix the Black Tank Flushing system you will need to remove the nozzle and drill out the holes to a larger size and then replace. Many people have had to do the same.

You may have to remove screws that hold straps which keeps the tank bay door closed to access the tanks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One method of cleaning the tanks is called the Geo Method (You can Goggle it). Basically you use a Heavy Duty degreasser (Dawn for example) and and Calgon Water softener powder. In your case I would recommend a couple of cupfuls of each then take a drive on down a winedy road, maybe throw some ice cubes in for good measure, if your buying bags of ice make sure its broken down to icecube'ish size pieces not chunks. Once you've done that let is sit for a while of be absorbed into the effluent, perhaps over night longer if you can. Flush and repeat. This would be a non chemical or at least a less chemical solution.
There are other treatments theres one that people in the form talk about but it's name escapes me right now, I'm sure someone will be along to give it.
OnEdit:Just read another post Happy Camper is the one I was trying to remember.

Hope this helped and goo luck (pun intended)
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Is the only problem that the flush nozzle is clogged? Leaving waste water in the tank should not be a issue - the stuff dissolves and stays dissolved as long as there is adequate water left (it will evaporate over enough years, though).

If you can get to the flusher nozzle, it should be removable for cleaning or replacement - the RV builder installed it with screws or glue/sealant.

Try adding any good quality septic cleaner enzyme, e.g. Roebic or RidEx, with full water and let it sit 3-4 days, then drain. Repeat a couple times if you can - the enzmes will literally eat all the goo. Might not even have to fix the nozzle,
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Buy a jar of the Happy Campers Extreme Tank Cleaner to clean up the black tank first.

To fix the Black Tank Flushing system you will need to remove the nozzle and drill out the holes to a larger size and then replace. Many people have had to do the same.

You may have to remove screws that hold straps which keeps the tank bay door closed to access the tanks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Totally agree! That's great stuff! Once you get it cleaned out just use the regular version of the Happy Campers treatment regularly and you won't ever have any problems. Be SURE to get the flusher operating and use it every time you empty the black tank. Along with that you will also need one of the 45-degree clear plastic adapters for the dump outlet so you can see when you have it clean!

I turn on the water to the flusher when I open the black dump valve and let it run while the tank is emptying. When it is empty I close the dump valve and let the flusher continue to run for about 60 seconds. Then I open the dump valve and let it empty again. I continue to do this until the water coming out is almost clear. Then I shut the dump valve and let the flusher continue for about 30 seconds before turning off the water. The last step is to go inside and pour one measuring cupful of the Happy Camper treatment into the toilet and flush it. The Happy Camper treatment only costs about 50 cents for each treatment if you buy it in the large container (130 oz.).

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2cddr7ppf9_b
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wish I had known about the ice and degreaser soap ideas back with the early RVing days with our first two units. Had a couple of pyramid problems. Haven't had a problem since I started following the basic advice given in the above posts. Old dogs do learn new tricks. Now, I dump the tanks as soon as I park for the night while every thing still stirred up from the drive. A couple of times a week, prior to departing the park, I'll add liquid dish or laundry detergent to both of the black tanks and occasionally to the grey tank as well.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The poop pyramid problem stems from having too little water in the black tank, as happens, for example, leaving the black drain open when using a sewer hook-up at the site. Keep an adequate amount of water in the tank and the stuff will dissolve on its own. The natural biologics in the waste should be sufficient for this, but you can always add an enzyme type waste dissolver if you feel it needs help.

Dumping frequently, as may happen with weekend campers, can lead to the too little water problem. If you know you are only going to have 1-2 days of use, add 3-5 gallons of water when you reach your site so the tank starts out with enough liquid to begin dissolving waste as soon as it goes into the tank. And if the tank isn't at least half full when ready to dump, add more water so that it gets good flow when you dump.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #11

Thank You for all the great Information Jim
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water