Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #1

Black water tank

I need input from my r v partners, my friend that I camp with had a problem with his black water tank leaking on his new 5th wheel. The trailer is under warranty and when he took it to the dealer he was told that over filling the tank could cause a pipe to break. I need to know if anyone knows if this is true, or if this is fiction. I have had several campers , and know a lot of you have a lot more road time than I do. I have never heard of this and was not aware if this can happen. I would welcome any information on this subject.Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
What does "over filling" mean? How is an owner supposed to figure out when is too full? The only way is when stuff doesn't go down when you flush! That's absolute garbage and an attempt to avoid warranty work.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
That sounds like a cop out trying to blame the owner. We have completely filled the gray tank (several times on two coaches) and the only thing that happened was water backed up in the shower. Even overfilled a freshwater tank and the only thing that happened was water came out the breather vent
Old 02-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #4

Total BS from the dealer. I do not know what is wrong with RV dealers these days and never wanting to stand behind the coaches they sell and always pointing a finger at someone else. I have less and less faith in any dealer and it keeps going downhill daily.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #5

It is not a pressure system so their is no way overfilling could cause a pipe, or seal to break. As previously posted the water will only back up to the point you have to drain the tank to be able to use it without it coming out up the toilet or vent pipe. Most likely he has a cracked tank/pipe that once it gets full leaks due to the pressure of the weight, and spreads the crack a little, whether it's at the pipe/tank connection or somewhere else on the tank. He needs to make the dealer fix it under warranty.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #6

If you over-fill a black tank you will have one heck of a mess on your floors. The dealer is total BS. Most likely trying to avoid any warranty work.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #7

I'll make it unanimous, Whoever told your friend that is lying. It is impossible to overfill a non-pressurized, vented tank. Anything more than full is a mess on the floor.
Even with the toilet valve closed and running the tank flusher from city water, when the tank gets full it will come out the top of the vent pipe. Er, speaking from experience_.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm with these fellows.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, total BS. Either the dealer is trying to dodge doing the work under warranty or has marginal competency in RV systems.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #10

Another to agree,, the dealer is trying to avoid fixing an obvious problem !!!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

Something smells with the Dealer's response. The only way that could possibly happen is if the weight of the tank was supported only by the pipe from the toilet (with nothing under the tank at all to support it). It is amazing what some Dealer's come up with to avoid honoring Manufacturer's warranty or their own shoddy work.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdel41 View Post
I need input from my r v partners, my friend that I camp with had a problem with his black water tank leaking on his new 5th wheel. The trailer is under warranty and when he took it to the dealer he was told that over filling the tank could cause a pipe to break. I need to know if anyone knows if this is true, or if this is fiction. I have had several campers , and know a lot of you have a lot more road time than I do. I have never heard of this and was not aware if this can happen. I would welcome any information on this subject.Thanks in advance.

How is it possible to "overfill" the black tank? If it fills up, the rest is gonna go straight up and out of the toilet!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
How is it possible to "overfill" the black tank? If it fills up, the rest is gonna go straight up and out of the toilet!

It actually goes up through the roof black tank vent. Didn't you see the Robin Williams movie

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
It actually goes up through the roof black tank vent. Didn't you see the Robin Williams movie

Yeah, you're right! That was so funny!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water