Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #1

Bleach in black tank

Thinking of putting bleach in tank to clean ect anyone done this I don't see anything it would hurt but thought I would ask you all what you think.

greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #2

Think of your black tank as a plastic item! I would recommend dish soap... At all times so it can slash around and do its job.....

Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I have used bleach in both black and grey tanks for several years. Every trip to the grocery store I buy a gallon and pour it into the tanks, haven't had any odor problems like I used to have using the "official" type stuff...
motorhomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Think of your black tank as a plastic item! I would recommend dish soap... At all times so it can slash around and do its job.....
I do the same, just make sure no forks etc are in the pan. I use Dove to do dishes and it helps.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Although I mainly use just dish washing liquid and lots of water... I do occasionally pour a cup or so of bleach into the black tank... along with lots of fresh water. I'm concerned about too high a concentration damaging the rubber seals.

Some say that using any bleach at all is a bad idea because it kills beneficial bacteria in the tank. I guess I'm one of those who think of it more as a holding tank than a septic tank... and therefore want to just keep it as clean as I can.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While many say they do it all the time, I would not want to even try it, in a black tank especially. A black tank will most likely contain some urine, and that urine contains ammonia. Ammonia and chlorine don't play well together. For a description of what happens see Mixing Bleach and Ammonia - Why You Shouldn't Mix Bleach and Ammonia
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Not to redirect this post, but we just tried a product called Pure Power Blue Bio-Pouch... We could not believe the immediate difference in the lack of odors with this product! I would be very hesitant to pour bleach into my holding tanks!!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a product called "Happy Camper" and have had good results. No smells, no problems. With the bowl about half full, just use about 2 scoops in the toilet and use the toilet brush, to clean the bowl & rim. Flush the mixture down the drain. The bacteria will eat the solids and keep everything smelling good. Don't empty the black tank at every stop. Wait as long as you can (about 4 days for us). By not emptying at every stop, you allow the motion of the RV, to slosh the stuff around, which helps break up the solids and paper. You can "Google" Happy Camper and order online.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bleach can have a negative effect on certain types of plastics and elastomers. Better check the materials for compatibility with bleach.

Ken
Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #10

Well I was just looking at once in a while I agree on seals did not think of them may go happy camper I have seen it I have always used just lots of water but still seems like it needs a little more thanks for replies
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #11

Why would someone want to spend money to clean and sterilize something they will crap in hours later? I use the cheapest solvent known, WATER, and lots of it. No odors from the tank when any solids are covered with water. For verification, visit escapees.com and read what full-timers do, and don't do.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #12

Please do not use bleach in your tanks! I did and had to replace three valves. After a while, it will eat the seals. Replacing valves is not fun.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
I use a product called "Happy Camper" and have had good results. No smells, no problems. With the bowl about half full, just use about 2 scoops in the toilet and use the toilet brush, to clean the bowl & rim. Flush the mixture down the drain. The bacteria will eat the solids and keep everything smelling good. Don't empty the black tank at every stop. Wait as long as you can (about 4 days for us). By not emptying at every stop, you allow the motion of the RV, to slosh the stuff around, which helps break up the solids and paper. You can "Google" Happy Camper and order online.
+1

Bleach is counterproductive to holding tank health.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've switched to RV Digest-it made by Unique and have had no problems at all. No odors at all and seems to dissolve everything.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank