Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 06:12 AM   #1

Bleach vs Vinegar for Fresh Water Decon

I want to do a thorough decontamination of my fresh water system. It's more of a prevention thing and not a result of anything bad.
What are the thoughts on using bleach vs Vinegar? I've seen both recommended at various times.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What does your owner's manual say? Mine says use a bleach solution ... so that's what I go with.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:31 AM   #3

Bleach is the standard everywhere for killing germs.

Vinegar is used to remove mineral deposits. I haven't had to do that to my fresh water system. I've used vinegar in the toilet to dissolve deposits so that water would stay in the bowl.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:33 AM   #4

Vinegar is the "green" OMG bleach is a chemical response. It is not even close in effectiveness at equivalent concentrations. We use bleach. By the second tank of water what comes out tastes like what went in.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Vinegar is the "green" OMG bleach is a chemical response. It is not even close in effectiveness at equivalent concentrations. We use bleach. By the second tank of water what comes out tastes like what went in.
Um, vinegar is also a chemical response. Vinegar is actually an acid and it used to be used to sterilize equipment in hospitals. Vinegar is more effective than bleach in killing mold, BTW. Bleach lightens the black stain, but vinegar actually kills it. "Equivalent concentrations" is the operative phrase here...
Old 03-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #6

Bleach is the standard. Health codes for restaurants require bleach, not heard of using vinegar.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #7

KRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
Um, vinegar is also a chemical response. Vinegar is actually an acid and it used to be used to sterilize equipment in hospitals. Vinegar is more effective than bleach in killing mold, BTW. Bleach lightens the black stain, but vinegar actually kills it. "Equivalent concentrations" is the operative phrase here...
Agreed. There is a huge amount of material posted many places about it. Mostly by people who are afraid of bleach or who do not understand that everything is a "chemical". ;-))
Old 03-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The substitute for bleach is hydrogen peroxide, though that requires a stronger concentration than the bleach.

Vinegar is not approved for disinfecting in hospitals, according to the EPA and CDC. However, at full strength it is effective for something.

Here is what the CDC has to say:

Quote:
Some environmental groups advocate "environmentally safe" products as alternatives to commercial germicides in the home-care setting. These alternatives (e.g., ammonia, baking soda, vinegar, Borax, liquid detergent) are not registered with EPA and should not be used for disinfecting because they are ineffective against S. aureus. Borax, baking soda, and detergents also are ineffective against Salmonella Typhi and E.coli; however, undiluted vinegar and ammonia are effective against S. Typhi and E.coli 53, 332, 333. Common commercial disinfectants designed for home use also are effective against selected antibiotic-resistant bacteria 53.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
I want to do a thorough decontamination of my fresh water system. It's more of a prevention thing and not a result of anything bad.
What are the thoughts on using bleach vs Vinegar? I've seen both recommended at various times.
JohnH12
I've sanitized my fresh water system twice (once in '01 and agiain in 2014).
Both times I used a solution of Clorox un-scented bleach, (1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity in a gallon of water), as recommended in my owner's manual, (and here): http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html
Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #11

FWIW anyone who winterizes should consider sanitizing with bleach when opening up the system in the spring. Aside from any potential microbial problems it also cleans out residual pink stuff and/or blowby oil from the compressor used to blow the water out of the lines.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW anyone who winterizes should consider sanitizing with bleach when opening up the system in the spring. Aside from any potential microbial problems it also cleans out residual pink stuff and/or blowby oil from the compressor used to blow the water out of the lines.
nothermark
I have never used pink stuff in my fresh water system... (nor have I blown it out with compressed air)... but I did sanitize it in '01 when my coach was new to me...(and again in 2014).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Use the pink RV antifreeze for winterizing. Then go through a 4 step process in preparing to roll again.
1. Fill and rinse with plain water to move the pink stuff out.
2. Treatment with bleach. Fill. Let stand 4 hours. Drain.
3. Add baking soda, fill, and rinse. Freshens and removes any lingering bad taste from anything.
4. Fill with plain water, drain, and refill.

Luckily I also have an exterior intake direct into the tank.

When hooked up for customary water intake, all water into the coach is filtered.

This was recommended process in several articles and seems to work well. Water in the moho is always clean and good tasting - unless we pick up some bad water or hard water along the way. Then sometimes I will drain and refill when good water is located.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Nothing survives chlorine, not even mold spores. That's why bleach is the standard... and not vinegar.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water