Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Blk. & Dkr. Air Compressor

G'morning iRV2'rs :

Just ran across an ad for a Black & Decker portable battery or 12Volt outlet operated air compressor supposedly good for 160 psi output (Model ASI500). Very light (5 lbs.) and small.

Does anyone know about this unit or better yet, has anyone had experience with it?? Have been kinda looking for a convenient compressor for maintaining desired tire pressures and this one looks pretty attractive. It's only $50.00!! For that price I'm a little concerned about durability. THANKS.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #2

Here's a review.
The article says 100 psi max.
I've had a couple of cheaper 12v compressors. IMO, they are good for bicycle tires and topping off car tires. I tried raising a coach tire from 91 to 95 and it took over 20 minutes. (Mine is rated to 150 psi.) They are not heavy duty and would probably burn out from extended long use. The instructions for mine (Campbell-Hausfield) say not to run for more than 5 minutes. It was pretty hot after 20 minutes. And noisy.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
two2go:

Thanks for the comeback. Yup, I kind of thought this compressor might be too light duty to handle higher pressures. Guess I'll keep lookin! Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Steve
Old 09-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
I watched a guy try to pump up a tire on his PU one day while we ate lunch. It was pumping when we arrived and was still pumping when we left 30 minutes later.
IMHO just useless - well maybe for a bicycle or such.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
My pop has the same unit and I used it to pump up a 32" tire on my Cj. Took 35 minutes to go from 10 ibs to 30. Again, like many stated it was hot. On a coach this would be one of the things you wouldn't want to sacrifice quality for price...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Can't help you with a 12volt compressor but here's a link to a recent thread about a good 110volt unit. I bought one and it does a great job topping off our 120 psi tires.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Half Dimes:

Thanks for that link. Good thread. Steve
Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #8

Alternate idea

FWIW I went a different route and am very happy with the result. I too wanted a pneumatic supply source and noticed that offroad 4wheelers, who have no access to electric power, used co2 tanks that they filled at the same places that service fire extinguishers. I like that I don't need electricity, I can power my pneumatic tools if needed, the portability, and the high flow and pressure (300 psig) means I get things done fast. Powertank is the one I bought if you want to check them out. There are cheaper solutions, I know, but this will last a lifetime, is 100% reliable, and never needs service. Filling the tank costs about $15.00 and I usually do that once or twice a year mainly using it around the house.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
IS it possible to refill a Power tank yourself from a regular compressor instead of using CO2?
Thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #10

Good question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
IS it possible to refill a Power tank yourself from a regular compressor instead of using CO2?
Thanks.
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question donie. There certainly isn't anything about the tank that would preclude it but as to the mechanics of it I just don't know. Powertank is easy to talk to and their website is POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems for further info.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #11

ViAir makes heavy-duty 12 compressors. I don't have one but was considering one. The right setup would be about $200. The 110v Sears Craftsman that is often mentioned is about half that price (on sale through Tuesday). I may get one of those instead since the voltage is not an issue for me. A bit bigger and heavier, but I could sell my even bigger shop unit that won't do better than 85 psi in my tires.