Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

Blogs and websites

I'd really like to have a website or blog so I can have photos and descriptions, camping stories, etc. I'd like to be able to document things like mods on our TT, the construction of our house and our hobbies plus bios, family pics and the other stuff folks usually do.

The thing is though, I have no idea how to create a website or blog. What are others doing and what is out there for making one? I don't want to have to invest a ton of time in learning new programming. I'm not a social media person like say Facebook or Twitter. I'm not sure do well with any sort of regular updating of a blog. I'd prefer a website that I can just update once in a while.

Are there standard packages you download or what do you do?

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
The easiest way to get started is with Google's Blogspot. I keep a daily blog there (Jon's Journeys). No programing is necessary, and it is pretty easy to use. Get started at blogger.com.

If you decide you want to start an actual website, a host company such as 1&1 is inexpensive, but you will need to either write HTML from scratch or use an editor such as Adobe's Dreamweaver to produce the material. I have a Travel/RV/Photography site written with Dreamweaver at 1&1 (LakeshoreImages.com).

vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #3

The Google service mentioned above is one I see others use frequently, and it is my understanding that it's free to use for non commercial purposes, such as you described.

Another frequently used service is WordPress, which also offers free to use services for small non commercial blogs. It is also said to be good and fairly easy to use for basic purposes, such as you described. From a modern visual point of view, I feel, in my not-always-humble opinion, WordPress is much nicer to look at for your viewers. Aesthetics win big here.

I'm also aware that a lot of people use a service called Tumblr for a lot of purposes, but I'm not familiar with it at all. It may prove worth a look.

There are innumerable other blog services available online with widely varying degrees of usability, pricing, familiarity, ect. A google search will have you spinning with confusion in short order, so I'd suggest staying with one of the above three platforms. Plus they're free. Best of luck to you. :-)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

Yep. Blogspot. Free. Easy.
And you can block all of the adds and such.

Check it out

http://davenola.blogspot.com/?m=1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
We use tripjournal.com ...I am also more than a little challenged around creating anything on the internet other than something simple......the trip journal allows you to send invitations to others you want to have access to your journal.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
We use tripjournal.com ...I am also more than a little challenged around creating anything on the internet other than something simple......the trip journal allows you to send invitations to others you want to have access to your journal.
That URL goes to some travel sales site. Do you mean, maybe, trip-journal.com, or mytripjournal.com? Both of those seem to be on the mark.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #7

So can you run ads on google Blogger? As in an Amazon link, or such? Interested in setting up a blog as well, but would like to be able to advertise several other business.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #8

We have used blogspot (blogger.com) in the past. It's fine but I don't care for the organization method of blogs (today, yesterday, etc.). I want something with a timeline going forward, so a person who has not checked it in a while can pick a starting point earlier than today.

This thread got me looking again. I have found three apps, and two look promising.
Trip-Journal
MobilyTrip
The Traveler

I think I'm ruling out the first one for my particular use, but I'm going to install the latter two and give them a workout.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

I used to create web sites professionally for a major telecom for years, it became a grag for me so i quit doing it but continued on the side for years and just recently decided I was done as there's not enough time to develop any more.

That being said there are plenty of free blog sites out there, just google "free blog". Just make sure to read the fine print.

As for a web site I recommend using GoDaddy.com. They have personal sites dirt cheap, literally $1 a month right now! No technical knowledge needed either, it's all done via an intuitive front end GUI (Graphical User Interface) that mimicks what your site will look like. You can apply one of their many themes or make your own if you have the knowledge. Btw, GoDaddy has the best uptime of all the hosts out there and for the price it's hard to beat.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Most folks use either Blogger (Google's Blogspot) or Wordpress.com. Both are free...just sign up and you're ready to go. I personally prefer Wordpress for both looks and stability. I ran my own blog on the free Wordpress platform for 4 years and it was flawless. Never any lockouts, errors or problems during that whole period.

The only reason *not* to use Wordpress.com is if you decide you want to make money on your blog down the line. The free Wordpress platform is pretty limited that way. Blogger has more options here and allows you to add banner advertising etc.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
So can you run ads on google Blogger? As in an Amazon link, or such? Interested in setting up a blog as well, but would like to be able to advertise several other business.
Yes Blogger allows advertising and Amazon links. Wordpress.com does not. You *may* have some limitations on the type of advertising you can do on Blogger (I don't know, just speculating)...if you want true control over your blog and no limitations whatsoever your best bet is to self-host.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #12

I didn't realize the OP was asking to hire someone. I'm out of here!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i build and maintain 63 websites. one of the best one's for hosting purposes is just host. abt 3 bucks a month. for 5 pages. you can add more pages later for a small fee.
as for running a blog site, if your only one allowed to add entries thats safe, allowing others (unknown ppl) = just asking for spammers as they pick up on this before you get your next nights sleep. the free sites offer a url with there name in along with your url = not good. search engines don't particular like these sites, been doing this for yrs. got taught by ppl that have built the first at&t site, search eng techs, depends on amt of traffic you want to visit.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
www.gulfcoast.defenderslemc.org is one of the sites i build an maintain. this site is in drupal.
americanheartassociationclasses.com - BE READY FOR AN EMERGENCY this site is one i made for friend with just host and there software.