Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I have proven my point in real life. I had a right front tire blow out while going about 55 mph. I had seen the Michelin video, and pushed the accelerator to the floor which stabilized the RV, then slowly let up on the accelerator and steered straight ahead. Once I had slowed down and felt I had control, I pulled onto the shoulder. Maybe I was just lucky, but it worked just like the Michelin video said it would.
Real life experience, now that's what gets me thinking some more,...and more.
AND, I concluded that I was wrong about which set of drive tires receive the weight that transfers whenever one of the front steer tires suddenly gets much shorter than normal. The weight actually transfers to the set of drive tires which is on the same side as the blown-out front tire. And, this means that when you add power, it's the desirable drive tires which gain propulsion! And, THIS is what explains to me why it's beneficial to depress the "gas pedal" at the first sign of a blowout in a front tire. It's this added propulsion of the same side as the failed tire that helps you counter the adverse yaw.
I wish they would explain it this way in the Michelin video.
If you sense it, then it might turn into being intuitive. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #16

To make a blanket statement: Driver's are not properly trained to drive in emergency situations, let alone properly trained in non-emergency situations. That is everything we drive; cars, trucks, and large motorhomes. Most people do not know how to react when a tire blows. Some people aren't physically able to control a vehicle when a tire blows. There is really very little reason to leave the lane you're in when a tire blows. If the driver is paying attention and knows what to do then a blown tire won't be an issue. A college age son of a friend suffered a blowout in a car and the thing rolled, killing one of his passengers. Seems he did everything wrong but can't blame him for the training he never received.

Sad thing is, most states don't require any special testing or training to operate a heavy motorhome with a toad or tow a large 5th wheel. Even when they do require special licensing it is a simple test of 'can you navigate a course without hitting anything' and does not touch on any sort of emergency handling.

For decades I've been advocating driver training akin to that required of airplane pilots. All private pilots must have specified training including emergency procedures to pilot their Cessnas and Pipers. They must demonstrate proficiency at least every two years. Pilots also need special training when moving up to two engines, jets, heavier aircraft, flying for hire, etc. The FAA doesn't miss a trick in certifications. State run motor vehicle licensing is a joke.

V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #17
RVM1

Blowout close call on I-26

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
To make a blanket statement: Driver's are not properly trained to drive in emergency situations, let alone properly trained in non-emergency situations.

That's why I recommend all rvers study the CDL manual. But most of them "know everything", so....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
That's why I recommend all rvers to study the CDL manual. But most of them "know everything", so....

X2, ....From bean counter to RV expert
Old 09-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post
Both videos are Right-Front blowouts in the left lane, so they didn't have much room to work with.

This latest one could have been a lot worse if opposite lane cars and semis hadn't been able to avoid him head-on. If not, someone would have died.

I would really like to know if either one had a TPMS or not. I know it wouldn't help if it was a sudden puncture, but it may have warned for other cases.
I disagree. Looks to me like the motorhome that did the barrel roll had a left front go down and veered left. The motorhome that crossed the median had a right front go down and veered left.

I was always told that the vehicle will want to veer in the direction of the blowout. Not sure why the second motorhome veered left unless the driver overcorrected.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #20

I just reviewed the NY, CDL manual.

I can't find the part about speeding up or even maintaining speed after a tire failure.

They say, hold the wheel and don't step on the brakes.

Do other state CDLs recommend stepping on the throttle ?
Old 09-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #21
isa

Triple E Owners Club
When cruising the interstates I expect that most people like myself have their cruise control on. If a blowout occurs then the speed should still remain as set and the important thing is to

first maintain the vehicle on the paved surface and

secondly stay off the brakes and

third gradually slow the vehicle down.

P.S. This is why I installed a steer safe on my rig, so that I can keep the vehicle on the road surface while experiencing a front tire blowout.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
NOPE, that's NOT the FIRST thing that you should do. Unless, you already have a firm grip on the steering wheel, and are turning against the adverse yaw..
This is what I know: The one good steer tire that you have (right side, reference video) has the best chance of arresting the adverse yaw and steering away from the GRASS. Therefore, that's the FIRST thing that I would do (gain control of the vehicle by steering). Know this: propulsion comes from power that's transmitted to the left and right rear tires. AND, weight transfers to the pair of drive tires which are on the same side as the blown-out front tire. Therefore, if you add power(as you should) the ADVERSE yaw will decrease, due to the fact that the proper set of drive tires will be more energized (left side, reference video).
But YES, by all means, do NOT stand on the brakes!
I've corrected my mistakes. Sorry for the confusion I caused.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
IMO the dangerous part begins at the point where you allow your vehicle to leave the road surface which offers the highest available traction. If you know of a way to keep the vehicle under control, and NOT leave the asphalt surface UNTIL you choose, then you should follow the procedure which will give you these desirable results.
In other words, all of us will end up doing what we feel will work (when/if it happens). Meanwhile, we can all wish for a professional/full-motion simulator that we can use to prove our respective point.
For anyone interested in viewing the real life testing by Michelin it can be viewed at
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post
Both videos are Right-Front blowouts in the left lane, so they didn't have much room to work with.

I don't think so. In the first video you can see the left front drop first then swerve to the left throwing up tire shreads.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #25

I've read lots of posts concerning tire blowouts and one thing I never read about is tire sidewall height. Based on a 315/80/22.5 tire, the sidewall is 9.92 inches tall. That means on a left front tire blowout, the left front corner will suddenly drop 9.92 inches.
Compare those numbers to a 245/70/19.5 tire. It has a sidewall height of 6.75 inches, so the front left corner will suddenly drop 6.75 inches. In this example the 22.5 tire blowout will drop the corner over 3 inches more than the 19.5 tire. That 3 inch difference is huge and has to have some negative effect on a tire blow out, just don't know how much. Oh, if my memory is correct, both the 2 blowouts referenced in this thread appear to be large 22.5 tires, meaning large corner drops.
Thoughts???
Old 09-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #26
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
I've read lots of posts concerning tire blowouts and one thing I never read about is tire sidewall height. Based on a 315/80/22.5 tire, the sidewall is 9.92 inches tall. That means on a left front tire blowout, the left front corner will suddenly drop 9.92 inches.

Compare those numbers to a 245/70/19.5 tire. It has a sidewall height of 6.75 inches, so the front left corner will suddenly drop 6.75 inches. In this example the 22.5 tire blowout will drop the corner over 3 inches more than the 19.5 tire. That 3 inch difference is huge and has to have some negative effect on a tire blow out, just don't know how much. Oh, if my memory is correct, both the 2 blowouts referenced in this thread appear to be large 22.5 tires, meaning large corner drops.

Thoughts???

A thought:
The dynamics of 19.5 v 22.5 based on the percentage of drop and difference in the resulting angles of the two axels would not be very wide. I think the effects (assuming same speed) would have more to do with the differing weight and momentum of each.
I'll assume that higher weight and momentum will allow an easier regain of control. But, as momentum subsides, control will markedly diminish.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
A thought:
The dynamics of 19.5 v 22.5 based on the percentage of drop and difference in the resulting angles of the two axels would not be very wide. I think the effects (assuming same speed) would have more to do with the differing weight and momentum of each.
I'll assume that higher weight and momentum will allow an easier regain of control. But, as momentum subsides, control will markedly diminish.
Sir Isaac Newton would disagree with you.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #28
RVM1

Blowout close call on I-26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Sir Isaac Newton would disagree with you.

Momentum, energy and work - Galileo and Einstein.
Angular momentum and the energy (and it's depletion) via the force of gravity.