Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #29

Thoughts:
The Michelin video does not explain where the force comes from that makes the vehicle suddenly yaw in the direction of the failed tire.
Nor, does it explain the source of the two available forces which can be called upon to counter the offending said force,....allowing the driver to maintain directional control of the vehicle.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Thoughts:
The Michelin video does not explain where the force comes from that makes the vehicle suddenly yaw in the direction of the failed tire.
Nor, does it explain the source of the two available forces which can be called upon to counter the offending said force,....allowing the driver to maintain directional control of the vehicle.
The first force in question is easy to explain. It's a frictional force caused by the larger footprint of the failed flat tire together with the higher rolling resistance of this tire. This force "pulls" the nose of the vehicle to the same side as the failed tire (the vehicle yaws to the side of the failed tire).
If the driver of the vehicle never loses his grip of the steering wheel, he/she can induce an opposite frictional force by turning the steering wheel in the direction opposite the side of the failed the failed tire. However, this has to be done in the first one or two seconds of the blow-out event. BUT, since this action might not be sufficient to gain complete control of the vehicle,....THIS is the reason that the Michelin video demonstrates that at the same time the driver is working the steering wheel, he/she HAS to also be depressing the power pedal quickly and completely. The explanation as to why this helps in regaining directional control of the vehicle can only be understood if you know that the differential gears inside the drive axle can vary the ratio of power transmitted between the right and the rear drive tires,....AND you know that more power is transmitted to the side that is carrying a heavier load (than the other side). YES, in event of a blown left side steer tire, the left rear drive tires will produce more forward thrust when you stand on the throttle. AND, it's THIS force that helps the driver stay in control of the vehicle with the blown left front tire.
Now, if you view the second half of the Michelin video, you will see that the author assumes that the driver always had a tight grip of the steering wheel and was constantly steering it in order to stay in the same lane and on the pavement. THIS assumption of continuous tight grip is the reason this author talks about the FIRST step is to stand on the throttle (the other two first steps are already done).
Old 09-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
That video of the Motorhome crossing the median and ripping out the barrier and then winding up on the wrong side of the highway is probably sheer inexperience!!
It does not even look like it slowed down at all until is was across the median.
To me it looks like he may have been on cruise and when the tire blew he froze.
It is hard to tell by a short look at it and not being there.
I have said before that I have several years of trucking behind me and have experienced several front tire blowouts. I don't think any 2 of them were the same.
Sometimes it may be beneficial to put the throttle down but other times not.
Road conditions, surfaces and weather can play a huge roll in how it plays out, so going into a blowout thinking there is only one way to deal with it is foolish.

Tpms and steersafe and other add ons may be very valuable but blowouts still happen.

I agree with Tireman that running tires under inflated is a major cause of failure. I have seen so many posts where people tell others to run a lower pressure to obtain a better ride. Heat created by under inflation is a silent killer of tires.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #32

Thanks for the replys, interesting reading. I see what you're saying "slickest1" and can relate somewhat. I use to drag race and there are no two things ever the same as far as almost loosing control. I just never done it in a 38,000# breadbox
I just hope and pray I never find out, my safe-T-plus does what its claimed to do and I'm singing Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take The Wheel"

buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I don't think so. In the first video you can see the left front drop first then swerve to the left throwing up tire shreads.
You can analyze, surmise and theorize, but see the left frt from that angle is one thing you can't do. just sayn
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Driving your family sedan down the road and blowing a front tire can be an experience. I don't see many conversations about that and all the add ons and advice to counter act the situation.

Multiply the weight of the vehicle by 10 to 15 times and and yes it will definitely be different.
In most cases you have to pass a drivers test to drive a car.
In alot of cases you can jump in a 40,000 lb. coach and not have any further training.

If you expect it to react, handle and ride like the family sedan you will be disappointed.
Having the proper licence is not a guarantee of these things not happening but having the knowledge and respect of what you are hurtling down the road in is a huge part of staying safe and identifiying and reacting to situations
Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
I limit my speed to 57-60 mph, and the DW always asks me to drive faster. On many occasions, a DP will pass me at 70-80 mph like I was standing still. I have always kept new steering tires on my units. I think that it would be easier to control at front blowout at 60 mph than 80 mph. Also, anyone that drives a motorhome should view the Michelin video. It might save your life. Eddie Elk.
Totally agree! Excessive speed is usually the root cause! You have to be able to put the peddle to the metal and regain the lost mph you immediately lose when the tire blows in order to maintain forward safe travel. You are talking 10 a 15 mph you have to be able to regain in a second or two when a blowout occurs. Better to find out your "sweet spot" for cruise mph before the unthinkable happens.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #36

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
A front tire blowout shouldn't cause a crash. Learn how to maintain control:

How To Handle An Rv Tire Blowout | Michelin RV Tires
Ummm, have to disagree. A little background info... Year old tires, tire pressure checked, husband - CDL for 27 years, myself - 31 years, husband has driven dump trucks, tri-axles, semi's & owns 2 trucking /construction company's & has experienced a few front tire blow outs. "Learning" how to maintain control is obviously a good thing, but when it comes down to it, all the experience, precautions & preventative maintenance doesn't guarantee you're going to maintain control and/or avoid a crash. Consider yourself extremely lucky if you do because when it happens, it's a crap shoot! Ours was caused by debris on the road & according to Dave (husband) was THE most explosive blow out he ever experienced (I was there, it was bad) & it was all he could do to keep it upright. "What to do" videos will help greatly but doesn't guarantee you'll avoid a crash & devastating damage...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475029697657.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	140088  
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #37

Lisablue85: I totally agree. None of us knows how our particular RVs will come through a blowout and the damage they will cause and for sure we don't know how our reaction to it would be in a matter of a second or two.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
Totally agree! Excessive speed is usually the root cause! You have to be able to put the peddle to the metal and regain the lost mph you immediately lose when the tire blows in order to maintain forward safe travel. You are talking 10 a 15 mph you have to be able to regain in a second or two when a blowout occurs. Better to find out your "sweet spot" for cruise mph before the unthinkable happens.
Let's think a bit deeper. I know my 40 ft Dutch Star Cummins/Spartan pretty good. So, if I were to be cruising on I-10 at my normal cruise-control speed of 67 mph, and a front tire suddenly fails (blowout). Can we agree that since I already have a good grip on the steering wheel, and I'm a "wheelman", the sudden frictional force induced by the failed tire will not pull the steering wheel out of my hands, and that I will apply a counter force on the steering wheel as needed in order to stay in my lane, and that since I won't touch the brake, the cruise control will keep on commanding the engine to maintain constant speed (which means it will increase power in order to counter the speed lose due to the frictional force also trying to slow down the vehicle, etc.....that I will be in control?
My first guess is that you won't agree, due to the fact that you don't know me from adam.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #39

The tire is going to blow when you scratch your nose and rip the wheel right out of your hands.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
The tire is going to blow when you scratch your nose and rip the wheel right out of your hands.
Anything's possible, true. And, it makes me wish we could talk to the drivers in these infamous videos. Many's the time I've eaten a sandwich with one hand while keeping a firm grip on the steering wheel with the other. However, I'm convinced that as long as the engine is running above idle, I will have the full benefit of the power steering system. I'm no weakling, I fully believe that I could maintain control with one hand.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #41

I have two comments. First, thank you for everyone who has commented or provided videos. As a new RV owner/operator, the have been very informative and I believe I have learned a lot from reading all the posts. Secondly, my wife and I were witness to a 40+ tag axle RV with toad that blew a front tire and decided I-10 was a great place to drive through the median and try doing a donut in front of West-bound traffic. Whomever that RV pilot (that RV left the ground just before it turned around) did an outstanding job stopping the RV, preventing it from hitting anyone or turning over. The toad (Jeep) must of had a brake-stop type system on it because it came off the hitch ball and rolled on its wheels to a stop on the side of the road behind the RV. Let's just say we'll never forget the sight of seeing an RV coming straight at us across a median, and we were several cars back.

Be safe out there.

Rob
Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post

Both videos are Right-Front blowouts in the left lane, so they didn't have much room to work with.

WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post

I disagree. Looks to me like the motorhome that did the barrel roll had a left front go down and veered left. The motorhome that crossed the median had a right front go down and veered left.

WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post

I was always told that the vehicle will want to veer in the direction of the blowout.

CORRECT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post

You can analyze, surmise and theorize, but see the left front from that angle is one thing you can't do.

Both of the videos CLEARLY show a LEFT front tire blowout.

The first one (post #1) shows the left front of the coach dropping at video time between 11:50:45 and 11:50:47.

The second video (post #3) shows the tire debris on the LEFT side of the coach while it is swerving into the medium and then rolling over on its side.

Whether it is Isaac Newton, Einstein or Galileo I don't know as I am not a scientist but I do have common sense. A LEFT front tire blowout will send the coach LEFT. A RIGHT tire blowout will send the coach RIGHT.

Watch the Michelin Video and it CLEARLY explains the dynamics and forces that are involved in a front tire blowout.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote