Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #43

IMO there's nothing complicated about understanding that a frictional force vector is generated whenever a MH front tire fails (blowout). And, that the vector is towards the side of the blowout and towards the rear. And, this is the force that makes the vehicle veer to the side of the failed tire, plus tries to slow down the vehicle.
Whereas, the assymetrical propulsion forces which come as a result of adding power to the drive tires requires a bit more knowledge.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #44

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Anything's possible, true. And, it makes me wish we could talk to the drivers in these infamous videos. Many's the time I've eaten a sandwich with one hand while keeping a firm grip on the steering wheel with the other. However, I'm convinced that as long as the engine is running above idle, I will have the full benefit of the power steering system. I'm no weakling, I fully believe that I could maintain control with one hand.
I'm thinking you've never experienced a front tire blow out. I hope it never happens to you or anyone else , but if it does, one hand on the wheel isn't gonna cut it. Hopefully you'll never get the chance to test your theory. Safe travels!

Old 09-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
WRONG!

WRONG!

CORRECT!

Both of the videos CLEARLY show a LEFT front tire blowout.

The first one (post #1) shows the left front of the coach dropping at video time between 11:50:45 and 11:50:47.

The second video (post #3) shows the tire debris on the LEFT side of the coach while it is swerving into the medium and then rolling over on its side.

Whether it is Isaac Newton, Einstein or Galileo I don't know as I am not a scientist but I do have common sense. A LEFT front tire blowout will send the coach LEFT. A RIGHT tire blowout will send the coach RIGHT.

Watch the Michelin Video and it CLEARLY explains the dynamics and forces that are involved in a front tire blowout.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Yep! 👍👍👍
Old 09-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the Michelin video is bogus because the drivers were prepared for a blow out as they were testers. You do not have time to think about pressing the throttle as you are instantly off pavement.

Right front Michelin xrv failure on two lane road. 4 year old tire. They will never see my money again!

Mike
Old 09-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #47
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post

Right front Michelin xrv failure on two lane road. 4 year old tire. They will never see my money again!

Mike

What was the tire psi and temp when it blew?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone ever wonder why they seldom if ever see or hear about a front tire blowout failure on a luxury motorcoach. You know the ones that are well over a half million dollars and some touching on two million?

I have seen tour bus accidents where it's possible that the accident was caused by a front tire blowout but heck, most of those fly-by-night tour buses run the crap out of their equipment so it's not surprising.

Do you think maybe the larger size tires plus the fact that they normally run Michelin's, Toyo's, Hancook and possibly Continental's along with a TPMS in their coaches ALL the time?

What say you?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #49

My bad Dr F. The front of those coaches drop so much that it appears that whatever side you view it from is dropping to the pavement.

This make me wonder a front tire blowout took out the air-ride as it detonated.
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post

This makes me wonder a front tire blowout took out the air-ride as it detonated.
That can happen and has. However, the coach will drop even further such as another 8-9 inches or so for my tire size, 295X80RX22.5. My front air-ride height is 9.5 inches and then add the height of the sidewall and you are talking a significant amount.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I have proven my point in real life. I had a right front tire blow out while going about 55 mph. I had seen the Michelin video, and pushed the accelerator to the floor which stabilized the RV, then slowly let up on the accelerator and steered straight ahead. Once I had slowed down and felt I had control, I pulled onto the shoulder. Maybe I was just lucky, but it worked just like the Michelin video said it would.
I've been considering this as sound advice, but what if you are going down hill at 60 MPH ? I would think you would be at 70 mph quickly. What then ?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerstru View Post
I've been considering this as sound advice, but what if you are going down hill at 60 MPH ? I would think you would be at 70 mph quickly. What then ?
There's an old sayin' that comes to mind but I better not say it on here

I'm thinking about cruising down the interstate in heavy traffic at cruising speed, your going to hit something, btw, I hardly ever use my cruise control and the Michelin video says to accelerate the vehicle which I would not rely on a cruise control to do that, it ain't that smart or fast to react.

What's also interesting is not one has posted saying they had a blowout and their coach was equiped with a Safe-T-Plus or other driving assist. Maybe those million dollar coaches have those
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstand View Post
There's an old sayin' that comes to mind but I better not say it on here

I'm thinking about cruising down the interstate in heavy traffic at cruising speed, your going to hit something, btw, I hardly ever use my cruise control and the Michelin video says to accelerate the vehicle which I would not rely on a cruise control to do that, it ain't that smart or fast to react.

What's also interesting is not one has posted saying they had a blowout and their coach was equiped with a Safe-T-Plus or other driving assist. Maybe those million dollar coaches have those
We actually bought the Safe-T-Plus for our now totaled coach, but ran out of time to install it unfortunately. I was terrified of having a front tire blow out & insisted on buying a Safe-T-Plus... Just had a strange feeling about having a blow out... But, the tires were fairly new, our first trip was coming up, coach was ready to go! What are the odds? Never even thought about debris on the road. First trip in the new coach, 2 hours into our return home on the Florida Turnpike, mile marker 119 our coach literally exploded on the highway. We were extremely lucky to walk away from that accident & credit my husband's driving for that. That Safe-T-Plus that was left in the garage was the first thing that was put on the new coach after he installed the new tires. I honestly don't think I could ever get into another coach that doesn't have one or something similar, EVER! Hoping it never happens again, but if it does we're ready!
Old 09-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #54

A great deal of tire blowout-related information is gleaned from the internet. But, we keep looking for more. Why is that?
What I see in the Michelin video is that the most important element is the driver, his state of mind and what he is doing the instant the blowout occurs. He's not startled, and he maintains control by what he does with the steering wheel and by not touching the brake.
What do you suppose would happen if that's all he did?
In my opinion, in order to answer THIS question, I need to know if he was in cruise control. IMO if the cruise control was on, and set at the appropriate speed, nothing would happen,......he would retain control. And, he would proceed to slow down in a manner that he decided was appropriate.
And, I would do the same thing. What do you think you would do?
Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #55
RVM1

Blowout close call on I-26

Quote:
What do you think you would do?

I'd do the same thing I did on icy streets and frozen lakes in MN. The reactions are automatic. No problem

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #56

Quote:
A great deal of tire blowout-related information is gleaned from the internet. But, we keep looking for more. Why is that?

IMO if the cruise control was on, and set at the appropriate speed, nothing would happen,......he would retain control. And, he would proceed to slow down in a manner that he decided was appropriate.
And, I would do the same thing. What do you think you would do?
Since I don't have a blowout simulator or care to experiment I look on the internet to obtain what info I can (good, bad, or indifferent).
There is no way I would remotely rely on cruise control for a blowout situation. I want my brain telling my foot what to do and not some electronic/mechanical contraption controlling something out of control. Like I stated cruise control ain't that smart. That being said, you do your thing, I'll do mine and hope we both don't ever find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I'd do the same thing I did on icy streets and frozen lakes in MN. The reactions are automatic. No problem
You got that right. When stuff happens like that there is no thinking its reaction.

buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote