Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #1

Blowout close call on I-26

This happened last week on I-26 in South Carolina. Very, very close call. Lucky no one was hurt.

Driver captures video of RV crossing over median on I-26 | Local News - WYFF Home
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

A question or questions I have to ask. I've have a class A DP for going on 4 years and thank God never came close to anything like this.
My questions are, what could have been done to prevent this thing from going across the median taking out steel cable and into the south bound lanes?
I wonder if he had a safe-t-plus, (I have one on my coach).
If that happens to me, right then and there I'll become a EX motorhome owner.
Obviously this guy had a guardian Angel!
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
IC2

At least they didn't end up doing a barrel roll like another MH that a dash cam video shows and is making the rounds.

Makes me wonder what some folks are using for tires as we have seen a couple MH in the last month with blown front tires (but no wrecks, thanfully)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #4

A front tire blowout shouldn't cause a crash. Learn how to maintain control:

How To Handle An Rv Tire Blowout | Michelin RV Tires
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #5

Both videos are Right-Front blowouts in the left lane, so they didn't have much room to work with.

This latest one could have been a lot worse if opposite lane cars and semis hadn't been able to avoid him head-on. If not, someone would have died.

I would really like to know if either one had a TPMS or not. I know it wouldn't help if it was a sudden puncture, but it may have warned for other cases.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #6

First of all, IMO the forces which VEER a motorhome to the side of a blown-out front steer tire have not been properly explained. IMO the explanation is lengthy and complicated, such that the average MH driver loses interest right away.
IMO there is not enough emphasis put on the MOST important FIRST step in preventing lose of control immediately after the blow-out of a steer tire. NAMELY, to steer away from the adverse yaw of the vehicle. Of course, this assumes that the driver has a firm grip of the steering wheel, with at least one hand,... at the first indication of the blowout. Keep in mind that you have the aid of the power steering working for you,....but YOU have to command it to help you steer.
There's more that I want to explain, but I suspect most readers are losing interest already.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #7

Blowout close call on I-26

This post by Tireman9 says a lot, including failure via low pressure and the value of TPMS. I suggest that there was no TPMS and low tire pressure caused the event
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/why-t...il-309290.html
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I guess I'm cut of a different cloth but its amazing how the video photog didn't even stop to see if everyone was OK. Slow down, make sure the wreck doesn't impact you, once clear, speed away before you have to get involved...
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
First of all, IMO the forces which VEER a motorhome to the side of a blown-out front steer tire have not been properly explained. IMO the explanation is lengthy and complicated, such that the average MH driver loses interest right away.
IMO there is not enough emphasis put on the MOST important FIRST step in preventing lose of control immediately after the blow-out of a steer tire. NAMELY, to steer away from the adverse yaw of the vehicle. Of course, this assumes that the driver has a firm grip of the steering wheel, with at least one hand,... at the first indication of the blowout. Keep in mind that you have the aid of the power steering working for you,....but YOU have to command it to help you steer.
There's more that I want to explain, but I suspect most readers are losing interest already.
The first thing to do in the case of a steer tire blowout is to floor the accelerator, which will help maintain control. Letting off the accelerator, and/or hitting the brakes exaggerates the motorhome's pulling in the direction of the blowout.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I limit my speed to 57-60 mph, and the DW always asks me to drive faster. On many occasions, a DP will pass me at 70-80 mph like I was standing still. I have always kept new steering tires on my units. I think that it would be easier to control at front blowout at 60 mph than 80 mph. Also, anyone that drives a motorhome should view the Michelin video. It might save your life. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
The first thing to do in the case of a steer tire blowout is to floor the accelerator, which will help maintain control. Letting off the accelerator, and/or hitting the brakes exaggerates the motorhome's pulling in the direction of the blowout.
NOPE, that's NOT the FIRST thing that you should do. But, if you believe this, try it. Not me.
This is what I know: The one good steer tire that you have (right side, reference video) has the best chance of arresting the adverse yaw and steering away from the GRASS. Therefore, that's the FIRST thing that I would do (gain control of the vehicle by steering). Know this: propulsion comes from power that's transmitted to the left and right rear tires. AND, weight transfers to the pair of drive tires which are diagonally across from the the blown-out front tire. Therefore, if you add power the ADVERSE yaw will increase, due to the fact that the WRONG set of drive tires will be more energized (right side, reference video).
But YES, by all means, do NOT stand on the brakes!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
NOPE, that's NOT the FIRST thing that you should do. But, if you believe this, try it. Not me.
This is what I know: The one good steer tire that you have (right side, reference video) has the best chance of arresting the adverse yaw and steering away from the GRASS. Therefore, that's the FIRST thing that I would do (gain control of the vehicle by steering). Know this: propulsion comes from power that's transmitted to the left and right rear tires. AND, weight transfers to the pair of drive tires which are diagonally across from the the blown-out front tire. Therefore, if you add power the ADVERSE yaw will increase, due to the fact that the WRONG set of drive tires will be more energized (right side, reference video).
But YES, by all means, do NOT stand on the brakes!
Sorry Cloud Dancer but your info and advice is WRONG AND DANGEROUS. PJStough had it right. You press on the accelerator, regardless of how counter intuitive this seems. Actual blowout TESTING ON MOTORHOMES can be found on UTube that show and explain what works and why it does. This applies for front and rear tires (both inner and outside)
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Sorry Cloud Dancer but your info and advice is WRONG AND DANGEROUS. PJStough had it right. You press on the accelerator, regardless of how counter intuitive this seems. Actual blowout TESTING ON MOTORHOMES can be found on UTube that show and explain what works and why it does. This applies for front and rear tires (both inner and outside)
IMO the dangerous part begins at the point where you allow your vehicle to leave the road surface which offers the highest available traction. If you know of a way to keep the vehicle under control, and NOT leave the asphalt surface UNTIL you choose, then you should follow the procedure which will give you these desirable results.
In other words, all of us will end up doing what we feel will work (when/if it happens). Meanwhile, we can all wish for a professional/full-motion simulator that we can use to prove our respective point.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
IMO the dangerous part begins at the point where you allow your vehicle to leave the road surface which offers the highest available traction. If you know of a way to keep the vehicle under control, and NOT leave the asphalt surface UNTIL you choose, then you should follow the procedure which will give you these desirable results.
In other words, all of us will end up doing what we feel will work (when/if it happens). Meanwhile, we can all wish for a professional/full-motion simulator that we can use to prove our respective point.
I have proven my point in real life. I had a right front tire blow out while going about 55 mph. I had seen the Michelin video, and pushed the accelerator to the floor which stabilized the RV, then slowly let up on the accelerator and steered straight ahead. Once I had slowed down and felt I had control, I pulled onto the shoulder. Maybe I was just lucky, but it worked just like the Michelin video said it would.