Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 04:02 AM   #1

Blowouts

We must of used up all the allowed data for the original thread on blowouts, it's Closed.
But I have another question on the subject that wasn't covered.
This information may or may not be available. Where on the tire itself, does the actual blowout occur?, top, bottom, etc. And, in those areas, does the blowout have a different affect say, on the coach.
For instance. If the blowout happens at the bottom of the tire, does any damage happen to the coach other than maybe a quick bump up then of course the handling part afterwards. If it blows at the top, I visualize a lot of damage in the wheel well and possibly beyond. Just asking.
Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 04:59 AM   #2

In most cases it depends on how much of the tire partially de-laminates and flings around and around striking the coach. I've seen tread separations (where a portion of the tread that is in contact with the road while you're driving, come loose, with no damage to the coach.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

No expert here, and i may be completely wrong but, i'm thinking it could make a difference. It would make sense that there might not be as much damage if the direction of the initial blow was away from the rig. Just not sure how much difference, since the tire would probably be rotating fairly quickly at the time. I don't think there are many instances where a blowout results in an instantaneous clean and rubber free wheel. The rubber that's flying apart because of centrifugal force after the initial blow can certainly cause damage.

Also not positive but i believe that many, maybe most, blowouts occur because of sidewall failures.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #4

I've only had a rear inside blowout. The flopping of the tread remaining attached to the tire carcass totally destroyed the compartment behind the rear axle and did significant damage to the wheel well itself. I doubt the actual location of the blowout on the circumference of the tire made any difference to the amount of damage done.

Since it's completely out of your control I can't see what could be gained, other than simple curiosity, by knowing where the blowout occurred along the rotational position of the tire.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #5

Start here:

RV Tire Safety

Trust an expert.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Start here:

RV Tire Safety

Trust an expert.
Without reading 100's if not 1,000's of pages in that blog, can you give us an idea where he speaks to the OPs question?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

Clicking on "blowout" on the list of topics on the left is a good start.

RV Tire Safety: Blowout

Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Clicking on "blowout" on the list of topics on the left is a good start.

RV Tire Safety: Blowout
Yeah, I read that but still didn't find anything about damage differences if the blowout occurs on the top or bottom of the tire. Maybe I just misunderstood the OPs question.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #9

Blowouts

You mean the technical aspects of the tire only being flat on one side?

At 60 MPH (which is 88 ft/s) the bottom of the tire is the top of the tire in about .049 seconds. I'm sure Roger would have data on how quickly the tire "blows", I don't know that he's ever talked about it before though. He comes here, and has contact info at his blog, might be worth asking if he hasn't addressed it.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "blowout" position is irrelevant, as the sudden loss of air is not what causes the damage to the RV, nor is it from a single blow from loose rubber. It is the rubber that is partially attached spinning around that does the damage. "tderonne" has it right; a 33" diameter tire traveling at 60mph will make just over 10 revolutions per second. So whether it starts in the top position or the bottom position, it has already made a complete revolution within 1/10 second. That also means that the rubber is hammering your rig at 10 times per second. THAT is what does the damage (been there, done that).
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
The "blowout" position is irrelevant, as the sudden loss of air is not what causes the damage to the RV, nor is it from a single blow from loose rubber. It is the rubber that is partially attached spinning around that does the damage. "tderonne" has it right; a 33" diameter tire traveling at 60mph will make just over 10 revolutions per second. So whether it starts in the top position or the bottom position, it has already made a complete revolution within 1/10 second. That also means that the rubber is hammering your rig at 10 times per second. THAT is what does the damage (been there, done that).

Thanks for the response. I agree the tire flapping will do much damage. But, I think that the initial blow, if at the top or close to it, will do major impact damage to what ever is in front of it, the wheel well and whats behind it, my foot or leg maybe, worse yet, my DW's foot.
If the blow happens towards the bottom, That first blow won't be pointed at me. I have been in a situation in a machine where the air tank blew up probably because the relief valve didn't work, instant fire, and the smoke entered my cab through the air line, INSTANTLY. I could not see anything it was so dark. I know that it was not a tire, but it is compressed air like a tire, and that explosion is like a bullet of sorts. So I think I'd rather have the tire blow out at the bottom of the tire.
It's just food for thought. I don't want to argue I just want to share info.
Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #12

Yeah, good question from one of the above posts.
Is it the sidewalls that blow out most of the time?
Old 12-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think I remember reading that it's the sidewall that usually blows out!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #14

I would think it wouldn’t make any difference, running at highway speeds the tire will beat the coach to death anyway.