Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #15

Enjoy it, it is very nice.

The speed limit on 90 + % of the Blue Ridge is 45mph, not 35mph. You won't have fun in a mh doing 45 on that road. Take you time and enjoy it, and be considerate let others pass as needed. Utilize the 1,000's of scenic overlooks.

If you continue North on the Skyline, the speed limit is 35mph.

If you can time it, stop at Maybre Mill for pancakes one morning. Very good.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #16

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We've driven Skyline Drive and the BRP southbound from northern VA to just outside Asheville with a 37' 5th wheel without problem. Just make sure you can see the way out on any scenic overlooks before you enter them. Also, watch for warnings at some exits that aren't suited for long vehicles. As mentioned previously, there are speed limits which we could maintain, and did see park patrol pulling over four wheelers that may have felt like the speed limit applied to others. Both roads are there for the enjoyment of everyone, not just cars and motorcyclists.

There's also a great little campground in Meadows of Dan, VA. Aptly named Meadows of Dan Campground.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #17

Blue ridge parkway tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
The speed limit is 35mph in many areas, so it's not about speed. It's about safety, stopping distance as Rooster tailgates you, long wheelbase on tight mountain bends sending the rear end over the centerline into oncoming traffic, etc.
Also, you will get passed by cars and motorcyclists in some unlikely places and a large RV makes that much more dangerous for everyone due to length and width. Granted, it's their choice to pass you, but you get the idea.
Also, there are frequent wrecks that block one or both lanes. The ability to get passed these or turn around should be a consideration.

If a 40 ft MH with a toad can tail gate you on steep mountain roads you can't drive.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #18

Look out for bicyclist too. They are everywhere on the Parkway usually in the middle of the road. We clocked one going 45 mph once. That is one of my all time favorite drives. Never taken the RV though. We were usually on the motorcycle. By the way, if I remember correctly, the national park portion (Skyline Drive) is 35 mph and it is a fee area. If you have your Senior Pass, it is free.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #19

Thanks everyone for all of the information! We look forward to our adventure😃
Old 07-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If a 40 ft MH with a toad can tail gate you on steep mountain roads you can't drive.
This from the guy touting that the person in front will be able to read your front bumper...

You're right, maybe they can't drive or a couple of q-tips out leafing are driving slow. You will get that. But if a deer runs in front of them, you're at fault when you plow into them.

The majority of accidents I see up in the mountains of North GA, Western NC, and Eastern TN are split 50/50 between idiots on motorcycles (mostly Harleys that can't turn) and big rigs (RVS and trucks) that are too big for the conditions.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #21
WDW

I have to chime in on 441 - we were somewhat nervous based on things read on line about driving the road in a MH. Generally speaking if you are semi skilled, understand what the gear shift stick is meant for (I smelled lost of smoking car brakes on our way down to PF) and you have the common sense / courtesy to pull over from time to time it's an easy drive.

To be honest, Skyline a Drive was much harder as a main line route drive. However the drive to the dome in a MH is doable but requires skilled attention to your job.

IMHO.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #22

Hello everyone! We did most of the BRP with very little traffic and beautiful scenery. All went well😀staying in Front Royal 2-3 nights and then on to Gettysburg. So for everyone else worried about doing the drive take your time stay at some of the parks along the BRP this time of year it was nice and cool.
DH did all of the driving and I must say I was impressed!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #23

Great! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I recommend the Gettysburg Campground. Fairfield road just before town. Very nice place. I was just there 8 days ago!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #24

Thanks for the recommendation! We didn't tow a car because we feel we are to new at this but after the BRP we will be looking into getting one! We do have bicycles can you or anyone else recommend a CG close to the visitors center that we can safely bike to?
We are heading into there tomorrow morning. At the KOA in Front Royal the pool looks nice but not to sure I'd recommend this particular CG but I was able to catch up on nine days of laundry😃
Thanks all
Old 08-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #25

ok so my options are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Personally, I don't think driving a MH on the Blue Ridge Parkway or 441 over the smokies is appropriate.

On 441 over the Smokies you are going to be a road block to every other car on the road going up, and down. Not to mention going down is not going to be much fun at all. When we were there in early June we were in our Jeep and ended up behind a big tag axel MH and you could smell his brakes for a mile behind, going 25mph and 20+ cars stuck behind it.

On the BRP, the trees overhang the road since there are no trucks to keep them pruned, so expect scratches on your sides and roof. It is also very narrow.

Yes it it legal, but I just don't think it is wise or courteous to do so....... If you do it on either road, watch the parade quickly building behind you and pull over to the lookouts often and let everyone go by (and expect a few "one finger salutes" along the way).
If I want to come from the Midwest with my Rv and tow dolly and not inconvenience can I parallel the length of the ridgeway. I'm assuming its only 2 lanes. Sounds like a lot of up and down doing it that way...........
Old 08-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsportys View Post
If I want to come from the Midwest with my Rv and tow dolly and not inconvenience can I parallel the length of the ridgeway. I'm assuming its only 2 lanes. Sounds like a lot of up and down doing it that way...........

I don't necessarily subscribe to the position that a motorhome on the parkway is an imposition on the others using the parkway. I don't think it's the best way to enjoy the parkway. The OP of this thread has a 31' class A and drove the parkway without a tow vehicle. If a motorhomer can drive the parkway at close to the posted speed limit then it's really a personal decision.

In your case, a tow dolly does make it much more likely that your enjoyment will be enhanced by driving outside the parkway and accessing it with your tow.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #27

Mrsportys I agree with Steve if we had been towing we would have stayed at CGs off the parkway and did different areas by car. You will definitely see more that way. The CGs we used on the parkway didn't have hookups but not that big of deal to us. As far as the drive just take it slow enjoy the view (but watch the road) and pull out at one of the many overlooks when you have a few cars behind you. We actually saw far more motorcycles than autos.
Safe travels!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
We do the Parkway every year, sometimes twice a year.

I find it therapeutic, and always discover something new. We try to stay in the Park campgrounds & always eat a meal or 2 in the NP Lodges. My favs are the Peaks of Otter, and Doughton Park.

There are lots of State Parks near the Parkway -They are all gorgeous (North Carolina and Virginia Parks are my fav.

Have a ball-Take that Motorhome-you will love it.