Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Winepress, I've lived in the same location for two plus years. DegoRed your correct the vanishing deductible is not a brainer! It's the comp, and collision coupled with full replacement value that is necessary for a two year old coach that we have a whole bunch of equity in. Quite simply, should a total lost happen, no one would want to be "upside" down as many homeowners have been subjected to in the 2007, 2008 housing recession. After all, my coach is an equivalent investment to our s/b RV home. We pay far less for the HO ins. than our coach! Last quote FWIW $2025 thru National at a $309,000 replacement value. Both FMCA and Explorer Ins. that carry National are only less than a hundred dollars apart. Still looking at a $400.00 to $500.00 yearly increase for no know reason other than, WHAT?? waiting for the independents like Miller Ins. To chime in. My last experience they were super slow in responding, I dislike e mail but hate the phone initial inquiry even more. Know one needs to know what my dogs breed is or what size my waistband diameter might be? What would the most learned on the forum recommend. Curious?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
It's the comp, and collision coupled with full replacement value that is necessary for a two year old coach that we have a whole bunch of equity in. Quite simply, should a total lost happen, no one would want to be "upside" down
This is always my greatest fear as well Clay.

Let us know how it goes, I will probably be with BlueSky in another couple days, told them I wanted coverage to start June 1st.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #17

Well, we just dropped Blue Sky, though we had just renewed without an increase.

We have a home in Florida as well as Mich. and decided to plate the MH in Florida due to Michigan's stupid high lisc. plate fees (our 16 year old coach was 550. annually, based on it's ORIGINAL sales price! Fl. is 99. annual) It was during that process we discovered we needed a "Florida" ins. policy. I didn't think much of it as we had been with Blue Sky for a while, and I knew they were licensed in both states.

Turned out it was a big deal. The Florida policy through Blue Sky, for the exact same coverage we have always had in Mich. was 200. cheaper! First thought was GREAT, but I should have figured there was a fly in the ointment. Problems started when we told them the coach would be stored for 6 months at each house. They said sorry, we don't want a coach with Florida insurance on it in Mich. for more than 2 months at a time...... Stunned and confused, I requested a supervisor who in a long roundabout way, confirmed this! Wanting time to collect my thoughts, I told them I'd be talking with them later.

A couple calls later, enter AARP and Hartford. Identical coverage (agreed on value, including collision, same deductible (on the high side)) same price as the Blue Sky Florida policy, and they didn't care which house it was at. They just wanted to know where to send the bill!

Bottom line, we are now plating AND insuring the MH for less than what Michigan was charging us for the plates alone. Hartford was a pleasure to do business with, took about half an hour on the phone start to finish, AND, they seemed grateful to have my business.... I'm a very happy new customer! -Al
Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Clayobx,

Give Miller Insurance company a call for a quote. You may be surprised.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #19

Talk about robberies without the use of a gun. It goes on and on.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Richard, I've tried several times via e mail for quotes from miller. No response for over a week. I've e mailed them this past Monday, no response? Guess I'll go to the old telephone route! Have you had good experiences with Miller? Your experience would be helpful.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
One thing to keep in mind when you're switching companies, is that after your coach is a certain age, they won't cover replacement any more.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post

Richard, I've tried several times via e mail for quotes from miller. No response for over a week. I've e mailed them this past Monday, no response? Guess I'll go to the old telephone route! Have you had good experiences with Miller? Your experience would be helpful.
I have many Monaco friends who are insured through Miller. I have not switched as my insurance agent has done a terrific job at keeping my premium exactly at the same price when I first signed up 7-8 years ago. I am insured through ExplorerRV but they have me specifically with National Interstate. Explorer RV is an agent/broker much like Miller is so I haven't had the need to switch as yet, maybe one day.

I belong to the Monacoers Yahoo group where RV insurance is discussed frequently. That's where Miller is always discussed. There are a few members who have Blue Sky.

Just remember that your HOME state has a significant impact on your insurance costs. My home state is Alaska.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, your home state does reflect on your premiums. However, as stated originally, we have not moved in over two years. Yet both Progressive and now Blue Sky both have raised the premium consecutive years for the same location. First year $1600.00 next year $2600.00? National Interstate has responded quickly through FMCA and Explorer brokerage both within dollars of each other for practically the same coverage. But!, both quotes are $600.00 dollars per year more. Everyone speaks of depreciation on MH yet the insurance companies simply ignore this cost figure. Karen and Collins I am aware of the five year limitation on full replacement cost. This coach is still good for another three plus years. That's what's so frustrating with this insurance thing. Surely, this is extortion at its finest !!
Old 05-24-2014, 11:16 PM   #24

My motorhome,12 years old, with National Interstate purchase price replacement, 2013 premium $1600-2014 premium $2132. Take away purchase price replacement,2014 premium $1009.
rvndonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #25

Wowee!

"Agreed on" value for our coach (in the case of a total loss) set at 30k. Might be worth more, maybe less, but so what. I'd be willing walk away from it for that, so that's the number I used. Policy price through Hartford or Blue Sky - 450. annually, including 100/300 liability, comprehensive, and collision. 1500 deductible.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
For those interested. I've finally researched everyone associated with RV insurance. Here is the coverage from Blue Sky for 13/14 yr., 500,000 liability, 2500.00 deductible both comp. and collision coupled with 285,000 full replacement cost = 1600.00 dollars. This year and 2015 to date 2600.00 plus or minus a few dollars. National interstate thru FMCA same coverage with 309,000 full replacement cost=2125.00. National Interstate thru Explorer Ins. Same coverage, 265,000.00 full replacement cost 2065.00? Seems odd? Miller Ins comes in at 2200.00 with lower liability of 100,000./300,000. Blue Sky out of CA 2200.00. $400.00 less than Blue Sky out of AZ.? Hartford w/o full replacement and 1500.00 deductible, oh the above are quotes with $2500.00 deductible, $1000.00 deductible and much lower comp and collision $1600.00. Summary I'm simply going to pay $500.00 more for this years coverage. Not fun!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #27

I'll be going down this path in a few weeks when we close (hopefully!) on the new house in Dunedin, Fl.
I paid about $70k for our 2005 Pace when we bought it...and I think we bought it at the absolute bottom of the used market back in 2009 after the big crash in fall of 2008.
I'll probably shoot for that as an "agreed upon" value.
I'm also currently dealing with a insurance broker for the new home and flood insurance, and I think I'll give her everything and ask for a quote.
Just hope it's cheaper than Mass.
I may also take the coach off the road for awhile, since we'll be very busy doing other things at least until fall, so may just put collision on it until then, or whatever I need to protect it sitting in the driveway.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Blue Sky quote

Got a quote from blue sky today$502.00 full coverage for a year.
I bought an 01 Numar Dutch Star DP. progressive quoted $1300.00
I called Blue sky and spoke to a person just to make sure I was understanding what I was getting for so much less $. included comprehensive, liability, $1000. deductible trip ins. and towing. The coach sold for $50K.
Sounds to good to be true? We live in Texas.
Mike,
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance