Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Blue Sky Insurance strikes again!

I know there have been several post regarding insurance premium increases by many forum members. I'll just add my 2 cents worth! Today's mail brought my policy renewal from Blue Sky with an increase of $965.00 !!! No claims, no accidents, excellent credit ratings both DW and I? As mentioned looks as if all companies are playing a costly game with our premiums. So I'm playing with them. if any member has recently purchased a new policy and you feel it is fairly priced, ie, replacement/purchase price coverage, diminishing deductible express comprehensive, diminishing Ded. collision, total loss deductible buy back and last personal effects I would appreciate new updated information. What a racket!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
insurance = legalized extortion
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Community Administrator

That's a bummer, Clay. Most of what's been previously posted about Blue Sky has been about them not increasing premiums. Something's changed there. Hope you can reasonably replace them.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I make my agent shop mine out every year.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Clay
I just got my renewal and my premium went up $264. I called my agent and he said it was because they had not raise rates in a long time and the carrier (National Interstate) was losing money. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but I do like the company, so I guess I will just pay up!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #6

Blue Sky did change underwriting carriers from Companion to RLI. I just got my renewal and it was up by $45.00. Not sure why yours would have such a big increase.
I had one claim for a windshield a year ago, $3,000, no hassle, no muss, no fuss.
Insurance is extortion until you have a $20,000 claim, then it's Thank God I got insurance.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Winepress, like the name. That's my point they sent a cover letter in an attempt to justify this hefty or more than hefty increase. It states, " due to increased MH cost and lower depreciation on coaches they are increasing rates! My point, we purchased this policy last year to avoid the exact same increases of over a thousand bucks from Progressive/High Sage broker. WHY did we pay $1600.00 for the one year policy and receive another double digit increase for the same coach, clean driving and as we all know a depreciated value vs. last year same time. My bet new underwriter just seeing what they can exhume from our pockets. NOT CORRECT, business practice. FWIW I placed a call to FMCA they now have a program that couples with five brokers that will research the market for you. Let's hope it works for all RV owners. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #8

Something isn't right.
We pay a total of around $1700 for full coverage on six vehicles, 2014 MH, 2014 Jeep Patriot, 2010 Ram 4x4, 2008 Ford 250 4x4, 2008 Viper, 2010 24' enclosed car hauler.
AARP, Hartford. (perfect record, $1000 deductible)
We also have Homeowners insurance through Hartford which lowers the cost.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
The sad truth is that we are all going to be paying higher prices. All insurance companies have been paying out a lot of money over the last decade for disasters ranging from the WTC, to massives storms, floods, etc. And with all the extreme weather that North America has been seeing in the last few years and no signs that is is going to let up, you can pretty much expect insurance companies to be looking for more money to cover the outlay of funds that they have been experiencing. I don't like it much and I don't say that all their increases are justified but rises should not be unexpected. As long as the world seems to be going to hell in a hand basket, the trend is likely to continue sad to say.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Every year I spend hours researching and applying for estimates to insure that I'm getting the best rate. PITA....but pays off.

You have to remember that insurance companies are in business to "make" money, so they will do whatever they can to insure that it is a positive flow into their pockets. Probably in my lifetime, I have put over $100,000 into their pocket with receiving less than 1% back in claims.

Necessary evil.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Something isn't right.
We pay a total of around $1700 for full coverage on six vehicles, 2014 MH, 2014 Jeep Patriot, 2010 Ram 4x4, 2008 Ford 250 4x4, 2008 Viper, 2010 24' enclosed car hauler.
AARP, Hartford. (perfect record, $1000 deductible)
We also have Homeowners insurance through Hartford which lowers the cost.
You are in Idaho, the OP is in Florida. That alone accounts for a hige difference in rates. What you pay for 6 vehicles in ID, I pay for two vehicles in FL.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
For those of you that may hold an interest in the "Pita" search for a reasonable RV policy here's my progress to date. Maybe this information will help a fellow RV'er. I enlisted FMCA new insurance broker program in hopes of acquiring the "reasonable" policy that would be the same wide coverage as last years Blue Sky and the previous years Progressive policy. FWIW, Progressive was $1600.00 year one, Blue Sky $1600.00 year two, identical policies. FMCA came in with a price of $2205.00, a broker from CA representing Blue Sky quoted $2265.00, $435.00 less than the previous policy quote purchased in AZ? Go figure! Explorer Ins, which was my search is now leading with a quote of $2025.00. These quotes all represent identical coverage that I paid $1600.00 last July! Hartford, came in at $1600.00 but does not offer full replacement cost, or total loss deductible coupled with much lower limits of liability. As all can see it looks like we truly are going to pay a lot more for coverage in 2014 and 2015. I have a few more quotes to come in, so if the magic number for adequate coverage comes in I'll let everyone know. However, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Clay, I am just now going through process with BlueSky. One thing I noticed was it does not appear to be worth the cost for the vanishing deductible. Here is why, if you stay with a company for years and years, it would make sense since you are esentially buying down your deductible, however if you are being forced, as we all are to jump from carrier to carrier every year or two, you never get the benefit of actually buying down your deductible. On my current quote it is a cost of $27/per year for this coverage.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #14

Clyobx, I wonder if your premium mis so high because you maybe live in hurricane territory?

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.

Tags
insurance