Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #15
I have a 2 wheel, 15 gallon tote and have only used it a few times, in NFS/state parks. I use it only for grey water and it can get pretty darn heavy when full. But, grey is the limiting factor for most of us and the tote allows dumping it without a tow to the dump site.

2001 Ford F-250 PSD, Line-X, 3 ISSPRO gauges, TTM, Cyclone Fan, pulling a MobileScout 30RKS (loaded), Maxxair, Honda EU 2000. USAF retired.
Moby Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2005, 01:18 AM   #16
I have the 32 gallon blue tote, tows behind the vehicle, here in TN that can be important when the dump is uphill from the campsite. Pulling 300lbs of grey water uphill is not fun.

I have had my tote come off of the trailer ball once, it was empty, almost went into a lake...
I now use a "Ball Bungee" loop type bungee cord with a ball on one end. Its enough to keep the loop from bouncing off of the ball...

(my wife accuses me of being a ball bungee adict, I use them for everything)

Having the blue tank to dispose of grey water makes camping in State Parks MUCH nicer, as in TN most do not have sewer connections, our black tank can go well over 1 week before needing dumped. but grey water about every other day.

We camp alot with another couple so we both share the tote....No sense in both of us hauling one to only use for about 15mins every other day.

Mike Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:31 AM   #17
There is a level indicator available from the manufacturer of the most common of the blue tanks. It would work very well if you leave the gray valve open. But with the black, you are taking a great risk. I have one that holds 15 gallons and it is all that I want to deal with when I use it. We only use it in rare cases to extend our ability to stay where there are no hook-ups.
Good travelin! ......Kirk
URL: www.1tree.net/adventure/
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #18
I also use a 25 gal. blue boy tote and would add the following: first I always put on gloves, after hooking hose run gray water for a few sec. just to make sure I have no suprises "things happen" then open black water and fill tote about 3/4 full then close and fill with gray water, do this for the first two tanks. On the third tank just fill with remaining gray water. On avg. dump black water every other time and gray every 7-10 days. When ready to chage locations rinse blue boy with amall amount of bleach. when pulling blue boy secure to hitch with bungee cord. Remove gloves before getting into vehicle spray bottom of shoes, discharge valve, hose etc. with Lysol disinfectant as needed. Made up 2 ft. hose with clear adapter to use with blue boy, just attach more hose when needed. Have bucket with lid to carry hose to dump easy to rinse out and leave small container under discharge valve to catch drips. (Lysol also good for water connection, don't like bleach mixture to leak.
Ron & Margie

F250 7.3,32' New Horizons FW
Ron1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #19
Only problem with blue boy: two bolts worked out that attach metal plate to bottom of tank where handle attaches, Replaced bolts with thread lock dope applied, problem solved.
Ron & Margie

F250 7.3,32' New Horizons FW
Ron1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:25 AM   #20
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedHR35CSXS:
I've been considering a tote to allow me to empty at home in my outside sewer cleanout. Problem is the M/H can't get close enough so the tote would be ideal.QUOTE]

You might consider The Sewer Solution or The Flojet Pump if your cleanout is anywhere near your motorhome. I use the Flojet and dump using a 75' 3/4" garden hose and it works well. A friend uses the Sewer Solution and dumps 20' or so and he likes it. It's a bit longer than a normal dump but I like the versatility.

2005 Ford F350 Diesel
The Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #21
.....'course then again if you had an Incinolet Electric Toilet wouldn't have that problem......just push the button and "poof" it is burned up....drain gray water on the ground.....good for grass and trees....geofkaye
Old 05-06-2005, 02:58 AM   #22
A word about dumping grey water on the ground - it just might be illegal - nice idea to check before you try it.
Carol & Steve Vallancourt

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #23
We have two blue tote tanks, one 15 gall one 22 gallon. (When we originally purchased them, we were camping with 5 people in the RV, and one a teen-age girl. Talk about water use! When camped in NFS or some state parks for extended time, we can fill both of them more than once. I put them in the back of the P/U to take to the dump station, and then put my sewer drain hose on the tanks and lift it up (that way I don't have to take it out of the p/u bed to dump). Towing them behind the truck is not a good idea out here, the camp roads are pretty rough and I have had the wheels come off on one of those roads! Most Utah State Parks have good dump sites, but we like to park far away from the maddening crowds! Plus, we are in the boat a lot, and only come back to eat/drink/refresh, and often it is dusk when we get back to camp, who wants to go dump then?
Bob and Kathleen Hartman

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:16 AM   #24
We chose not to mess around with totes, mostly because of the small size and our distances to a dump site were huge (an hour or three drive away). here is a link to the thread where the system is discussed.
Boondockers fresh water in dirty out solution
it is on this site

03 Dodge 3500 HO Quad LB DRW 48re 4.10 BD Xmonitor gauges Rickson 19.5 x 6.75 Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels Classic Round Hole Michelin XDE-MS 245/70R19.5 H 06 Mobile Suites tk3 #3151
1Thom is offline   Reply With Quote