Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #29

When we retired we were young enough to adventure beyond these shores. We had a sailboat we had sailed for years on the Chesapeake so we sold the house and went cruising. We sailed the Caribbean for 6 years visiting all the islands from the USA to South America. Can't do that in a motorhome! Now we are bit older and have been traveling in our motorhome which we really enjoy. Your choice!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
Always heard the happiest two times in a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it. For me, RV hands down.

Very true - if you dont love boating.

If you really love boating then nothing replaces time on the water.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #31

I paid $200k for my sailboat and 10 years later sold it for $150k. How much is your motorhome worth after 10 years?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
When we retired we were young enough to adventure beyond these shores. We had a sailboat we had sailed for years on the Chesapeake so we sold the house and went cruising. We sailed the Caribbean for 6 years visiting all the islands from the USA to South America. Can't do that in a motorhome! Now we are bit older and have been traveling in our motorhome which we really enjoy. Your choice!
Wow! You're so fortunate to have experienced so much.
Just curious, with sailing, how long does it take before a novice can head out to sea like that ?
twosmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #33

First can I be your friend uncle Dave? It depends on how go you are on marine knowledge,chart reading etc. I grew up on lake Lanier and owned anything from a flat bottom drag boat,hydro plane,house boat,cruiser,runabout,pontoon, but never on the ocean. The only negative is in the winter time my Rv is in its carport not paying dock storage. The thing they have in common is they are both money Pitts but I enjoy rving.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
First can I be your friend uncle Dave? It depends on how go you are on marine knowledge,chart reading etc. I grew up on lake Lanier and owned anything from a flat bottom drag boat,hydro plane,house boat,cruiser,runabout,pontoon, but never on the ocean. The only negative is in the winter time my Rv is in its carport not paying dock storage. The thing they have in common is they are both money Pitts but I enjoy rving.
Sounds like we could be neighbors, - always up for friends!

Love the rivers and lakes
Love the Ocean.

Love power, I actually really like sailing too, thats just a different vibe.

Had a job selling marine electronics as a younger man, and have a large amount of ocean experience in vehicles of all shapes and sizes.

Ive run the Blue boat to catalina dozens of times and frequently shot down to Sandiego from Marina Del rey in it many times- shes got a full suite of modern electronics.

Its a great trip and a nice day cruise either way.

This thing has the situation awareness of the enterprise HD radar, AIS, integrated plotter and radar etc..

It also got a really serious mill in it- the mightly Ilmor 710.

8.3L (505) cubic inch aluminum V10.
Fully digital/Port injected.
700HP/ 650FT lb @ 6300 RPM

It'll unleash a vulgar display of power capable of scaring the gals and impressing your buddies... real laugh out loud fun

Love to give you a ride someday...

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	38905   Click image for larger version

Name:	2750 driver.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	38906  

Name:	2750 at catalina.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	38907   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05606.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	38908  

Name:	2750 out of mold - 150.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	893.2 KB
ID:	38909  
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 41 ft flybridge convertible boat and a 39 ft DP motorhome. I love both, but washing and waxing, especially this time of year, is a full time job. In the fall, its oil changes, winterization of both and shrnkwrapping the boat (which I do myself). They each have their pros and cons... as previously pointed out... but hands down, the boat fuel costs is a major buzz killer.

We took the motorhome to Hilton Head Island in April. From where we live in NY, it's about 2k miles round trip. Total fuel (diesel) cost was about $950. In the boat (I carry 520 gals of fuel), I cruise at 20 miles per hour and would get about 120 miles for the same money. That's about 3 exits on the NYS Thruway... From empty to full, it's over $2k.

However... To be fair to the boat... There are virtually no traffic jams on the water and you can "boondock" most anywhere... No Walmart needed!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosmac View Post
Wow! You're so fortunate to have experienced so much.
Just curious, with sailing, how long does it take before a novice can head out to sea like that ?
Well in my case I started sailing young, raced dinghies, had various sailboats throughout my life and took all the courses up to Yachtmaster. Having said that I know someone who had never sailed in his life and just took off. We both ended up in a marina in Venezuela!
P.S. Diesel was 5 cents a gallon.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Start out with nice models of each. As time goes by you will find that you will spend more and more time in one. In December I sold a beautiful 33' sloop...fully loaded, with all the amenities we have in our MH. For the last few years, it got used less and less and the MH used more and more. Boat had to go.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #38

Nor'easters Club
Each is a disease! Another key consideration is the people you meet. We meet wonderful,helpful folks in both lifes. We too have moved from bigger to smaller boats, 44 to 22! but living on cape cod,never with out a boat. I agree with what others have said earlier...the ability to adventur further is most appealing to us now.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having spent most a my life on the water , the learning curve is a lot easier with a RV.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What I love to do is take my MH and park it next to some body of water. Sometimes it's the Gulf, sometimes a river, sometimes the Atlantic or Pacific, sometimes a nice lake. Can't afford both so I'll stick with being able to look at the water from my DP.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #41

Freightliner Owners Club
We have been boaters for over 30 years. We keep a 30' moored in North Idaho in the summer and have trailered it to the San Juans many times. We also fish off a 20' fishing boat in the Pacific we trailer behind the MH. We do both and have friends in both worlds. But, with NW summers being only 5 months long, we have to cram it all together and we probably find ourselves using the MH and 20' fishing boat more and more over the cruiser. Plus, when the cold weather comes, unlike the cruiser, we can hitch up the Liberty to the MH and head for warmer climates and extend the adventure. That's impossible to do with the cruiser. The moorage rates up at the lake are $2000/summer which is getting too pricy for one month of play time. Oh sure we could spend more time there, but guess where we are....in the MH!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #42

No one misses the profile of the boat, no one notices the camper, is the difference worth the price????? The boat is the designers favorite 35' Commander Express - Chris Craft Commander Club
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote