Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
We have a house that happens to be able to go from one place to another when we feel like. If we want to go to the Grand Canyon all we have to do is pick up a few things that are outside, make sure things are put away inside, start her up and drive on over. We can boon dock and not cost us a penny or stay in one of many campgrounds around there. We have everything that is ours right here. No need to go out to eat or wait till the hotel might serve breakfast. We eat what we want on our time. We are the only ones that have a key to our home and we take it with us. Monday we are actually going from CA to FL to AL and back to CA all in 2 weeks. We know where we are sleeping and what we are eating. Gasap our cat is with us and there are no problems with a hotel not taking pets or charging anywhere from $20 to $75 extra a night to "allow" him in the room with us.
We've done a S&B (sticks and bricks house) and we would rather just live in the RV. That is our decision and it works for us. Yours may be different. I know our oldest and his wife (right now anyway) does not to want to even think about traveling anywhere like us. But that's them and that's their decision. We have seen singles, couples, small and large families out there doing what we are doing and it works for them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #58

I HAVE FOUND YOUR SOLUTION!!!!

I am hoping to find one of these as my retirement rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3212272656.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	38973   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-465333283.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	38974  

Name:	image-3967642680.jpg
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	38975   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2271145278.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	38976  

Name:	image-1908625672.jpg
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	38977  

Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosmac View Post
Not certain, but I think part of the dilemma with the RV is that the idea was mentioned to us from a friend who has never owned an RV. By that I mean our initial impression of RV life was that of striking out on the open road and experiencing the wide open frontiers out west.

After investigating a little, it sounds more like traveling from one crammed RV park to another and living in close proximity to other people, their kids, their pets and their noise. We already live in a sub-division with zero lot lines and all the nuisances that come along with that. Don't get me wrong, we are not anti-social; we love people. But we also love peace and quiet. If RV life means living in a crowded campground, it makes me wonder what is the attraction ?
If it were all campgrounds it would not be an attraction to many.

The RV "Brochure" never shows the campground bustle.
Nor do the campgrounds websites.

What you will find after travelling with an RV is that the campground experience becomes a ratio of X nights boondocking/drycamping for the experience in the brochure - and X nights of checking into a campground to water up, dump.

For 2 of us and three little dogs - it's about 3-4 dry camp nights to 1 night in a campground. Thats about the time our grey and black get full- well can go much longer with navy showers and conservation strategies if we have to, but like our long hot showers.

Usually with a days advanced notice you can get a camp spot away from the kids playground at a site- seems kids "play" while SCREAMING at the tops of their lungs for hours. I thought they were being knifed half the time.

The smaller your rig the easier it is to boondock and stay away from the campground bustle.

UD
Old 05-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #60

Boat vs MH

Ive had a boat for 40 years from a 18' to a 39...with now a 25. Yes I enjoy it...Many of the responses to this thread are quite acurate. Just bought a new TH so that I can begin to see inside the country. Are both hole you toss money into, im sure. But I think the TH is a bit less.

I will give up the boat in a few years, its getting harder to use.

If you get a MH, get a small boat to tow....or...plan your trips and rent a baot...in the long run it will be cheaper.

Suds
Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #61

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Not certain, but I think part of the dilemma with the RV is that the idea was mentioned to us from a friend who has never owned an RV. By that I mean our initial impression of RV life was that of striking out on the open road and experiencing the wide open frontiers out west.

After investigating a little, it sounds more like traveling from one crammed RV park to another and living in close proximity to other people, their kids, their pets and their noise. We already live in a sub-division with zero lot lines and all the nuisances that come along with that. Don't get me wrong, we are not anti-social; we love people. But we also love peace and quiet. If RV life means living in a crowded campground, it makes me wonder what is the attraction ?
Unless you live where we do, I can't think of any recreational form of fun where your not going to have people, their kids, their pets, and their noise!! Boats need to park too, either at a slip or on moorage and all the above apply. Ever hear a conversation across water? Sound carries across water much further and louder than on land. RV parks, airport camping and airports, train stations, hotel/motels (especially the ones with swimming pools) will all have people, their kids, their pets, and their noise. You can skydive, but eventually your going to come down to us or you can scuba dive and eventually you'll come up to us!! There is one RV that comes to mind that will give you complete peace and quiet.......give submarines a try.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
There is one RV that comes to mind that will give you complete peace and quiet.......give submarines a try.
Apparantly you missed the clarification :
Don't get me wrong, we are not anti-social; we love people. But we also love peace and quiet.

Your remarks mischaracterize the concern.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #63

We have only had smaller ski boats but have found that the MH is more adaptable as far as weather is concerned. In Oklahoma, by the time weekends rolled around, it was often too windy, too cold, raining, or etc.. to use the boat. Unless the weather is extreme, we can just take off in the MH.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #64

I own a 250 express cruiser by SEARAY...it sits in storage as I have never used it since we purchased our MH. Rain or shine I can use my MH but the BOAT was another story.

Also B.O.A.T stands for

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Every time I went out on the BOAT it needed so much TLC. I have so much more fun with our MH.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twosmac

Don't get me wrong, we are not anti-social; we love people. But we also love peace and quiet.

twosmac - you began with a nice premise - trying to decide between a boat and an RV. Then, if not mistaken, indicated an RV was someone else's idea. Am I remembering that correctly? Then asked:

"If RV life means living in a crowded campground, it makes me wonder what is the attraction?"

So it seems that you're really not trying to decide between one or the other - your trying to decide if either of them would be a good fit for you in retirement. I really don't think the submarine comment was a mischaracterization so much as it was said in fun / jest. This is a pretty easy going bunch and we're tying to help ya work through it.

But really - not knowing if either is suitable for you - and given neither is an inexpensive proposition, I suggest you take a vacation. Rent a motorhome - say a Class C that can serve as general transportation since you won't have a toad (car in tow) or rent a car when you get where your going. Plan a trip to somewhere that has rental boats that approximates what your looking for. Spend a few nights in each. See which you like better. Or take two vacations, after all, you're retired. And - it will be cheaper than making a mistake.

Don't focus on the RV park where that kind of boat rental is available. This vacation will be like hunting for a vacation home. Learning about both and finding out if either suits you. What's the worst that could happen? You have a memorable trip - figure it out and go from there.

You may find neither is right for you. And since you didn't mention budget - if you don't like either - a vacation home may be a better fit. Either of these machines can run upwards of a million dollars on the high side. If your budget is like mine - you'll be on the lower side $100k and up - and won't be buying a second home as an alternative.

Once you figure it out - if you decide a motorhome is for you, you will not find a better group of folks to give purchase advice, technical help and to share general conversations with. Just remember that when ya walk into a biker bar, best to not bring up noisy, loud pipes disturbing your peace. Again big as I say that.

Good luck in your decision making process. And btw - even having the money in my hand - knowing what I wanted etc. I looked for about a year before finding mine. So daylights burnin!
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #66

Boat?Rv?

Quote:
We are finally retired. We can't decide which between a boat or a class A motorhome.

Have never owned either.

Anyone ever been here and how did you decide ? Are you happy with your choice ?
I lived on 2 different sailboats in the Caribbean for 10 years. I've been back on land (ugh) for 6 years.

Now, I'm searching for the right RV and selling my boat!!

It's the traveling that hooks you - but I will always miss the ocean and sailing and the islands. I sure am looking forward to traveling again, even on land

Do both!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #67

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

You love people....you love peace and quiet. However with your comment on zero lot lines I would tend to think peace and quiet out weight the love of people....and there's nothing wrong with that. Each to his own. I don't think I mischaracterized your concern anymore than what everyone on this thread wants when it comes to peace and quiet. Trying to justify a MH over a boat or vice versa won't 100% meet those needs. We have both (two boats and a MH)....with people we love.... and peace and quiet. And like I said, you will always have people, people's kids, people's pets and people noise in both worlds. One concern you should have......There is no such thing as Good Sams to call when your in open water and if your calling the Coast Guard...you better have your life jackets. Response is not like you see on TV.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr

You love people....you love peace and quiet. However with your comment on zero lot lines I would tend to think peace and quiet out weight the love of people....and there's nothing wrong with that. Each to his own. I don't think I mischaracterized your concern anymore than what everyone on this thread wants when it comes to peace and quiet. Trying to justify a MH over a boat or vice versa won't 100% meet those needs. We have both (two boats and a MH)....with people we love.... and peace and quiet. And like I said, you will always have people, people's kids, people's pets and people noise in both worlds. One concern you should have......There is no such thing as Good Sams to call when your in open water and if your calling the Coast Guard...you better have your life jackets. Response is not like you see on TV.
The OP is cross posted - a couple of times - apparently decided on a Motorhome - been out shopping - has a $50k budget - question in another post on $109k coach. I don't know which ways up some days but I'm now.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #69

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
The OP is cross posted - a couple of times - apparently decided on a Motorhome - been out shopping - has a $50k budget - question in another post on $109k coach. I don't know which ways up some days but I'm now.
Figures..........I even had a spare flare gun I would sell!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #70

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A boat consists of a hole in the water that you throw lots of money into.
I had a 15' aluminum boat that I could carry on top of my toad along with an outboard motor, fuel cans, oars, life jackets and anchors w/rope and chain.
I considered the cost of registration and insurance along with loss of fuel milage due to wind resistance and added weight against how often I would use it and the cost of renting a boat along my travels.