Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #71

I agree that this is a personal decision and that rentals of both might clear up the choice, keeping in mond this is a long term decision. That said, years ago my job transferred me top a waterfront location. I immediately figured a boat would allow me to motor back to the old home whenever i wanted to. We looked at boats for a couple of months and found one (pink with copper bottom) we liked. We held off ona purchase while we settled into our new home. Never went back to look at boats again. I never had given thought to how I would get from a dock to the town I had lived in, or how we would get around when we hit land at all. Once we were settled in our new home, and found shopping, church, etc, we were home. And that was 35 years ago. Now we are in our 4th motorhome while based in a S&B home, and that suits us just fine. Good luck and safe travels.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #72

Have had both and both have their own unique personalities which are pro and con. Fortunately live in a part of North America where the ability to use both. Fixed up an older fishing trawler to use as a chugger (12 knots cruising) that we could travel down the Red to Lake Winnipeg ( I believe the 7th largest fresh water lakes in the world). Now not the ocean but when you are on a lake and can not see shore in any direction, it is large to me. Loved it and met many similar minded great individuals on our adventures. Don't think I want to tally the costs because they were huge (but at the time worth every penny). But after a few years did feel limitted. Our boating season is short and weather was always a factor. During the time we owned the boat we also owned a TT which we also used as much as possible. Something had to give and it was the boat. Eventually found ourselves in a Class A and and have loved our adventures with her. Now can't imagine not having the open road before us. Funny, but the cost of maintaining the MH is somewhat easier to swallow when remembering the cost of maintaining the boat. Have been in crowded campgrounds and also been in empty campgrounds. All depends on when and where you are travelling. I think the feeling of freedom and wanting to explore is similar to both worlds. The big advantage of the MH is that it is loaded in our driveway ready to go. The adventure begins with backing it out of the driveway, hooking up the toad, and seeing our home in the rear view mirror.

luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #73

My last 41' sportfisherman was costing $550.per month dockage and I averaged 2 MPG doing 19 knots.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #74

From personal experience I can tell you that my 32' used motorhome has one-tenth the cost of ownership as my 18' boat did. Not to mention if you are talking a large boat you are looking at 1/2 MPG @ 5 bucks per gallon because you have to fuel up on the water. Then you are looking at $10/foot slip fees. Plus, thousands in yearly maintenance. Water is the harshest environment their is and the maintenance bills alone will prove that.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1

The OP is cross posted - a couple of times - apparently decided on a Motorhome - been out shopping - has a $50k budget - question in another post on $109k coach. I don't know which ways up some days but I'm now.
I am enjoying the boat stories - but by his other threads - it does look like the OP has decided on a motorhome.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosmac View Post
We are finally retired. We can't decide which between a boat or a class A motorhome.

Have never owned either.

Anyone ever been here and how did you decide ? Are you happy with your choice ?
I have the answer.....https://www.google.com/search?q=amph...w=1034&bih=747
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
The OP is cross posted - a couple of times - apparently decided on a Motorhome - been out shopping - has a $50k budget - question in another post on $109k coach. I don't know which ways up some days but I'm now.
Thanks, now you know how we feel.
I can't count how many times we have changed our minds based upon new information. Our first inclination was to buy a new RV. Then we learned about the depreciation so we decided to go the used route. Just the other day, after finishing our jog, we saw a retired couple pull their 34' RV and toad into the parking lot but they couldn't turn around. We offered to help them out and we ended up talking with them about their RV experience for no less than 30 minutes. They strongly advised us to forget the notion of buying a used RV based on their experience of getting screwed by a dealer on a used RV purchase. (After he closed on the used RV he was driving it home. His wife who was in her car behind him noticed the RV was traveling sideways.) Anyway they strongly advised us to buy new. That story scared us into changing our minds again to a new RV and by necessity spending more. They also told about us their experiences in RV parks. Their impression of RV parks and those stories that made us even more anxious about spending 80K-100K on an RV.
I'm sure as we learn more, we'll keep reconsidering.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #78

Very glad to have found this thread. Great reading the thoughtful comments of so many people who have done both. We joined a boat club awhile back. It was akin to joining a nice golf club with the big up-front fee and then annual "dues" + fuel. Big attraction was 25 boats to choose from at 4 marinas and not having to do any of the maintenance. Learned a lot by using so many different kinds of boats and had a ball. But still, even that approach cost us over $20 grand over the 6 years. Far less than owning any of the boats they had, but still not chump change. The other thing that bothered me was that, except for a few fishing boats, the rest were really only readily available May through mid-September. Wouldn't do it again. Like several have said, the RV can go 12 months a year. If I want to get out on the water now, I'll take my kayak or go big with a cruise!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How about one of these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat RV.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	39041
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #80

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twosmac View Post
Thanks, now you know how we feel.
I can't count how many times we have changed our minds based upon new information.

That story scared us into changing our minds again to a new RV and by necessity spending more. They also told about us their experiences in RV parks. Their impression of RV parks and those stories that made us even more anxious about spending 80K-100K on an RV.
I'm sure as we learn more, we'll keep reconsidering.
No doubt your minds are troubled on considering and reconsidering from people you have heard on this thread and helping RVer's turn around in parking lots. Based on where I think you are on this.......rent both (I think you started this thread on boat or RV or has it changed for used RV or new RV?). Making this large of an investment decision on your "fun" trip into retirement based on other people's good or bad experiences is quit frankly not realistic for what's best for you. Do both...rent both....experience both....then invest whats best for you. But, if your off the water going to land, then a new thread needs to be started.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjock View Post
My last 41' sportfisherman was costing $550.per month dockage and I averaged 2 MPG doing 19 knots.
I wonder what the monthly cost of RV parks with full hook-ups would cost ?

Just guessing, but an RV park at $50 per night x 30 nights is $1500. So wouldn't the RV be 3 times more expensive than boat dockage ?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmydolphin View Post
Have had both and both have their own unique personalities which are pro and con. Fortunately live in a part of North America where the ability to use both. Fixed up an older fishing trawler to use as a chugger (12 knots cruising) that we could travel down the Red to Lake Winnipeg ( I believe the 7th largest fresh water lakes in the world). Now not the ocean but when you are on a lake and can not see shore in any direction, it is large to me. Loved it and met many similar minded great individuals on our adventures. Don't think I want to tally the costs because they were huge (but at the time worth every penny). But after a few years did feel limitted. Our boating season is short and weather was always a factor. During the time we owned the boat we also owned a TT which we also used as much as possible. Something had to give and it was the boat. Eventually found ourselves in a Class A and and have loved our adventures with her. Now can't imagine not having the open road before us. Funny, but the cost of maintaining the MH is somewhat easier to swallow when remembering the cost of maintaining the boat. Have been in crowded campgrounds and also been in empty campgrounds. All depends on when and where you are travelling. I think the feeling of freedom and wanting to explore is similar to both worlds. The big advantage of the MH is that it is loaded in our driveway ready to go. The adventure begins with backing it out of the driveway, hooking up the toad, and seeing our home in the rear view mirror.
So you are allowed to keep it at your house ? That's a huge advantage. Did you buy the RV used ?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Monthly cost of an RV park is WAY lower. The one we are at right now is about $43 a night. It is $215 a week, that is you pay for 5 nights and get 2 free. The monthly cost is $520 that is with full hook ups.
The other prices for some of the parks around here for the month are $650 (30 amp only and not stable electric either), $700 (only 15 yr and new coaches), $550 (the county is closing it because of bad water)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #84

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have our RV and a 24ft pontoon boat and enjoy the heck out both. Last few days we were in a campground on the shore of Lake Havasu, on the AZ side.
That's a great life.

Glenn