Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Book: The Next Exit

While I was vacationing in New Hampshire I stopped in an RV dealership looking at some motorhomes. One thing the fellow highly praised was the book The Next Exit. He said it was a "must have" book if you RV. Well, since then we have bought an Itasca 24J and now I am definitely going to purchase it. My question is: Have any of you read it? And I suppose more to the point, are there any great "tips" from that book that you would like to share? Being a newbie I would appreciate all kinds of helpful hints that many of you more experienced campers have picked up through the years. Now that I think off it, even if you haven't read the book I'd like to hear what you have learned!
Thanks for any helpful contribution!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #2

We use a similar book from Good Sams called Exit Next. Both books are really informative. Keep in mind they are only for interstate highways, but will give you information about what type of businesses are located within 2 miles of each interstate exit. We don't use the book for planning a trip, but the wife (our navigator) uses it to determine where we stop for diesel, food, dog walks, etc.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We too heard that the book was a must so bought it as soon as we took delivery of our new coach.

Frankly, I don't remember using it even once.

Having internet access while in motion, smart phones, and a good GPS provides us with all of the information we need. In fact, we've done away with virtually all hard copy books in the coach.

JMHO.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Having internet access while in motion, smart phones, and a good GPS provides us with all of the information we need. In fact, we've done away with virtually all hard copy books in the coach....
Rick
X2

Perhaps having a good set of Rand McNally maps would be the one thing to make sure is part of the traveler's library. It does help to have a big map perspective at times.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
X2

Perhaps having a good set of Rand McNally maps would be the one thing to make sure is part of the traveler's library. It does help to have a big map perspective at times.
DW felt the same way about having a map to look at but our dash mounted netbook is used for both VMSPC and MS Streets & Trips which lets her zoom in and out on the map which shows our current location and planned route. This is what she uses most but I think she still has the map stashed somewhere.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We too heard that the book was a must so bought it as soon as we took delivery of our new coach.

Frankly, I don't remember using it even once.

Having internet access while in motion, smart phones, and a good GPS provides us with all of the information we need. In fact, we've done away with virtually all hard copy books in the coach.

JMHO.

Rick
Heh, heh. I chucked when I read: "Frankly, I don't remember using it even once", because it sounds like something I would do. I am all full of enthusiasm at the moment with the prospects of our new MH arriving tomorrow.
Like yourself we have the smartphones, GPS's, & laptop so maybe we can do as others have replied here and just rely on them.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought either Next Exit or Exit Now I don't remember which. It was the one where the road continues to the next state as you turn the page.
I wanted it because it was supposed to show which gas stations were RV friendly as far as getting in and out goes.
At that time - maybe 4 or 5 years ago - the info was skimpy and often wrong so we didn't use it much. I am not sure we still have it. We sure didn't find it was a must have though.

We use the Trailer Life book, Delomes Street Atlas RV park info and the internet for finding RV parks.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Heh, heh. I chucked when I read: "Frankly, I don't remember using it even once", because it sounds like something I would do. I am all full of enthusiasm at the moment with the prospects of our new MH arriving tomorrow.
Like yourself we have the smartphones, GPS's, & laptop so maybe we can do as others have replied here and just rely on them.
We have all been where you are...all excited and buying "stuff." IMO, I'd skip the book and look at the dozens of smartphone/tablet apps. Have fun!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are in the, bought it, never used it category. Good maps and the newer gps units will give you more information and are actually very easy for your co-pilot to use.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, I am in the minority here because I use Next Exit on every trip. I do have a smart phone along with apps, a GPS with the goodies and I still like my book. I use it because I find it is actually quicker to look at the print than to search first for fuel, then for food then call up the view to see if we fit. I also mark the book with symbols for good one, never again or ok. That way if we pass that way again I know about it. I generally use the book for 2-3 years then buy another and transfer my notes to the new. The only bad thing: it only covers interstates and that is it. That does limit its usefulness but I still like my book. I do not carry Trailer Life (that thing is a monster) or any other travel books as my phone and GPS will cover what Next Exit doesn't.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I bought one of the two mentioned above - forget which because I promptly returned it and requested a refund. Just looking in my own general 'neighborhood' - the book was as much as 10 years out of date for certain services (restaurants gone, for instance), no mention that some services are on one way streets. New services not mentioned (Costco, Home Depot, IHOP etc.) If you buy it, quickly look at what is given for areas you know well, then decide.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
Ok, I am in the minority here because I use Next Exit on every trip. I do have a smart phone along with apps, a GPS with the goodies and I still like my book. I use it because I find it is actually quicker to look at the print than to search first for fuel, then for food then call up the view to see if we fit. I also mark the book with symbols for good one, never again or ok. That way if we pass that way again I know about it. I generally use the book for 2-3 years then buy another and transfer my notes to the new. The only bad thing: it only covers interstates and that is it. That does limit its usefulness but I still like my book. I do not carry Trailer Life (that thing is a monster) or any other travel books as my phone and GPS will cover what Next Exit doesn't.
I'm with Mel on this. When we are on the interstate DW keeps The Next Exit right at her side. It hasn't steered us wrong yet. It will tell you where the rest areas are, restaurants, fuel, truck stops, Walmart, etc. If it is listed in RED, it will be big rig friendly. That is usually my biggest concern. Beats the heck out of punching a bunch of buttons and then waiting for slow or non-existent 3G connection. Besides, DW likes paper over ether. We are talking about someone who reads raod atlases like they are New York Times Best Sellers.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #13

We use the Next Exit online version every day that we travel, and find it especially useful for fuel stops and rest areas when traveling interstates. We bought a big Rand McNally trucker's map book five years ago. It still has the shrink wrap on it - never been opened. We find paper campground guides and maps about as useful as the phone books that get dropped at the stick and brick and immediately discarded.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have an iPhone and love the app iExit. However, when you are in a spot without coverage or slow speed, we couldn't always get what we wanted. I did purchase Exit Now for 2011. Although some of the information was not current (a lot of restaurants and some gas stations have closed in the recession). It was great for a visual look ahead while planning for the next rest area and/or fuel fill, especially if you have a favorite place to stop for food, shopping, fuel, etc. It is spiral bound, lays flat and has bright white pages with some heft. This book is unavailable for 2012. It has seemingly been delayed but in researching, I've come up empty. Next Exit 2012 would have been returned if we hadn't destroyed it in one weekend. I found it to be like reading a phone book with that kind of paper, dull background, no color so it hard to keep track of where you were in the book and perfect bound so you could not keep it open. Pages tore easily, basically just by turning them. Information wasn't current. I still have it somewhere; just pm me and I will gladly send it to you so you can see for yourself. I couldn't figure out why it was so popular. Perhaps this edition was a downgrade from previous versions.

Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote