Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Boondocking at a state park?

I was wondering if I would be allowed to book a site at a state park or campground with facilities, and ask for the site only without water connection or electric hook-up? I want to save money by using my own water and power. What experiences do you guys have doing this?
ljedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sure you can...just depends on the park and the state and what kind of facilities they have availible.

For example, we're in New Mexico right now and the camping at State Parks here is $8/night for primitive/boondocking, $10/night for non hook-up ("developed" site), or $14/night for electric hook-up. We reduced costs even futher by buying the New Mexico State Park Camping Pass which covers basic camping fees for a year. So, at our current site (which is non-hookup) we're paying nothing.

Other States just depends on the sites. In FL, for example, many of the state parks will have electric as standard so there might not be an option for non-hookup. In other states and other parks you'll get the option. The non-hookup sites are almost always priced a little less than the hookups.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Come to California. The State Parks have no Water or Electric and for that privalege they charge $40. per night. If you can't make it they charge you $15 to cancel.

Hey, keeping Arnold supplied with sex partners ain't cheep!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Come to California. The State Parks have no Water or Electric and for that privalege they charge $40. per night. If you can't make it they charge you $15 to cancel.

My brother lives in California; he told me a lot of the state campgrounds were closing. Anyone know anything about this?
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljedik View Post
I was wondering if I would be allowed to book a site at a state park or campground with facilities, and ask for the site only without water connection or electric hook-up? I want to save money by using my own water and power. What experiences do you guys have doing this?
If you want a specific site that has water/electric, I think you'll have to pay for it. If there's a boondocking (no hookups) site available, then it'll be cheaper.

joe
Old 05-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #6

We do it all the time here in Washington State. When you log onto the state reservation website you can pull up each campsite you wish to look at. It will give you all the info you need and also allow you to book the reservation. Its about $10 to $13 cheaper for non hookup. It is the same system for Idaho and Oregon. Check your state park website to see.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
My brother lives in California; he told me a lot of the state campgrounds were closing. Anyone know anything about this?
Heres the list !!

List of California state parks that Gov. Jerry Brown has proposed closing - San Jose Mercury News
Old 05-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on the park.. Many Michigan state parks all sites have Electric,, Water is "Luggable" (one spigot for the entiere park) sewer.... Likewise one dump station for the whole park. (or two, a double)

On the other hand.. if you are old enough.. I've spent a few nights in a core of engineer's park, water and 50 amp (no sewer however, just a dump station) 10 bucks a night... Wife has the "Golden age" pass.. I will too.. soon.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Too bad. Here in Texas I think some of the smaller state owned parks have been taken over by the local city. That is the case near us, the park has been upgraded and is a great place to camp.

Mike
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for your overview, We're up in NY state so I'll have to check with our state parks it looks like since it's different state to state. I don't think we'll be traveling out of state this year with gas prices where they are. Thanks for your input.
ljedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are correct. California has 270 State parks. 70 of those as of 3 weeks ago are being closed. That's what LA channel 7 news stated.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Too bad. Here in Texas I think some of the smaller state owned parks have been taken over by the local city. That is the case near us, the park has been upgraded and is a great place to camp.

Mike
The parks that they are considering closing do not have camping. They are some of the lesser used historic sites. Still it is too bad that any of the places have to close. That is a good idea having the local cities have take over some of the parks. I'm sure there would be plenty of volenteers willing to run these places, after all they are owned by the public and are all of ours. The state is just the caretakers and they have not done much of a job. Our California polititions have screwed up the state with all the going green nonsense and big money union contracts.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #14

I predict that California will have a giant earthquake and fall into the sea.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote