Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #43

Also, they get drunk then one of them pulls out a saxophone at 2 a.m. and start honking on it. They really don't like it when you play your music at 6 am as loud as you can.

I ran campground that was on a lake one summer. The campground owner had a tavern on the edge of the lake and a some of the campers would get pretty loaded on the weekend. Early one Saturday morning I saw 4 guys go over to a truck camper and start rocking back and forth. I heard a thud then the back door opened, a lady staggered out and puked all over he rear step. I don't know what she did had done to deserve that but I'll bet she didn't do it again.
dlshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #44

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Years ago we went tent camping at a beautiful place in eastern Oklahoma with no one around called Winding Stair. Then, out of nowhere came a group of what looked to be Hells Angels on some great Harleys who set up camp right next to us. We politely said that we were going to move so that they could enjoy themselves. No problem. They partied it up, but at 10:00pm there was not a sound to be heard. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised and in the morning they were off. Actually, they were perfect campers and they left their camp sites in perfect condition.
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
We are losing our faith in our species.

This's the reason we're on the verge of selling everything, and going boating.

PS:
We overlanded for decades. Peaceful serenity. But those days are gone. Now, most 'overlanders' 'trek' resort-to-resort.

Show of hands... anybody ready to colonize Mars?
Shhhhh! Don't go spreading the word about Mars. It'll be overcrowded with goofy clueless humans within a year or two if word gets out.

Seriously, I used to tell people about a favorite park that we've been camping in for over 30 years. Except for major holidays, it was rarely full. These days, you better get those reservations in early if you want a spot.

Yes unfortunately, the crowds have moved in and the tranquility has left the building forest. Needless to say, I ain't tellin nobody about boondocking areas or campgrounds we use these days.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice post. Very funny and sometimes true. The conditions you describe are not just in the boondocking society, they exist everywhere. We do a mix of boondock, State Parks, C.O.E. and even the occasional private. We usually void private due to the small sites making us feel like we moved into a row house. Ranking the experiences for peace and pleasant RVing experience I have to give the C.O.E. camps the top rating as they seem to run a tight ship. Right next to that is boondocking. Only a very times have we had discussions with bad actors that moved into the neighborhood. Of course we tend to boondock east of the Mississippi most of the time. Camping in the woods where there is just room for our camp at the side of a stream, lake or in the woods tends to prevent close neighbors. Most of where we camp the "10 yard line" is the only choice as all the other lines are covered in trees. Our state park experiences are saved for times when we feel like being a bit more social and we save staying at private campgrounds for the times when we want to feel like we moved back to the city. There are just times you want to be near people and times you enjoy tranquility base on the moon..... as for Mars I hear the dust is really obnoxious,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FoscueSnow.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	214937  
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
boondocking

when we boondock the problem is usually not the the campers it is teens with there loud cars/trucks racing around the parking lot after the store/mall closes
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #48

I'm new to all of this so I'm taking it all in.

But...

I kind of think that if you wish to RV in an area with regulations there are plenty of RV places that have rules for for whatever you wish to have regulated. I do however think that nice goes a long way and do unto others...
heatherdawnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliec View Post
Years ago we went tent camping at a beautiful place in eastern Oklahoma with no one around called Winding Stair. Then, out of nowhere came a group of what looked to be Hells Angels on some great Harleys who set up camp right next to us. We politely said that we were going to move so that they could enjoy themselves. No problem. They partied it up, but at 10:00pm there was not a sound to be heard. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised and in the morning they were off. Actually, they were perfect campers and they left their camp sites in perfect condition.
I love Winding Stair! It was one of our favorite sites too, though I preferred it in the fall for leaf peeping trips. I haven’t been there in years, but I think I will look it up online to see what the facilities show. Thanks for the walk down memory lane, and sorry for the detour.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #50

Boondocking lessons about other Boondockers

We recently used WMs near large cities as convenient bases. We always ask a manager for permission. No reservations and no check-in/check-out times fits well into our flexible schedule. One afternoon we tucked neatly into the corner farthest from the store. By nightfall we were surrounded by RVs, despite the rest of the lot being empty. Talking to the new neighbor in the truck camper with two kids, I learned that his motivation was a "circle the wagons" mindset. He parked in the shadow of the big rig for a feeling of protection.

A few years ago at a Montana WM I began to get concerned as the homeless people in cars parked next to me. I finally realized that they were there for the shade.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We live in the boonies, so often find it amusing to watch people. BTW, I can still party with the best of them!
We often don't see strangers for days at a time at home, but that's just fine with me.
Happy Glamping.

PS. Thanks for the chuckle goes to the OP...
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealwhela View Post
Nice post. Very funny and sometimes true. The conditions you describe are not just in the boondocking society, they exist everywhere. We do a mix of boondock, State Parks, C.O.E. and even the occasional private. We usually void private due to the small sites making us feel like we moved into a row house. Ranking the experiences for peace and pleasant RVing experience I have to give the C.O.E. camps the top rating as they seem to run a tight ship. Right next to that is boondocking. Only a very times have we had discussions with bad actors that moved into the neighborhood. Of course we tend to boondock east of the Mississippi most of the time. Camping in the woods where there is just room for our camp at the side of a stream, lake or in the woods tends to prevent close neighbors. Most of where we camp the "10 yard line" is the only choice as all the other lines are covered in trees. Our state park experiences are saved for times when we feel like being a bit more social and we save staying at private campgrounds for the times when we want to feel like we moved back to the city. There are just times you want to be near people and times you enjoy tranquility base on the moon..... as for Mars I hear the dust is really obnoxious,,,
What's that WHITE STUFF on the ground?!?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #53

Even people who like dogs may not want them continuously close by. Other peoples dogs should be like grandchildren you spoil them then send them home and you don't want them peeing everywhere. You should always ask before approaching a dog and a dog owner should always ask before approaching you.
JohnJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Here's what I've learned so far about other boondockers when I've boondocked.

If you are first to an area - let's say a football size area - you park at the 10 yard line. The next person that shows up will park on the 15 yard line next to you.

If they have a dog(s) they will let them off the leash and constantly be yelling to them as if they were a human to 'get back here'.

The dogs(s) will piss on your tires.

The dog(s) will bark a lot and the owner will act surprised when they run at you and bark at you when you dare to leave your RV.

The other Boondocker will like rock from the 60s that you've all heard millions of times and they will play it loudly from bad speakers.

There generator will sound like a jackhammer. They will point the exhaust towards your open door.

They will sit around a fire until 2 am, talking loudly, then get up at 6 am to drive their mufferless pick up to go fishing.

Have you met these people or other's like them?
Not sure what irritates me more the barking dogs or the owners yelling at them. I’ve seen many RV parks advertised as “55 or older”, l’d love to find some that are “dog free”! Ever notice how most dog owners pick up thier dog’s poo while allowing them to pee everywhere? How bout they be required to clean the peed on area also?
Mdh1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #55

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For 4-5 months every winter I hang out near Quartzsite. I prefer La Posa South because the ground is covered in gravel and stones. The first thing I do once parked is to stake a claim on "my" acreage. This is done by outlining my comfort zone by the larger stones. Most of these boundries are respected.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliec View Post

We do that to confuse the citizens..

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking