RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

Bought used - missed something big!

We bought a 2015 Coachman - Brookstone 315RL in New Mexico. Absolutely love it. It fits our needs perfectly. The dealer seemed to go out of his way to make certain that everything was in good working order before we pulled it off of his lot. Spent a full day going over the unit then spent 4 hours with their service tech testing all systems. Found some minor issues that were properly addressed. After everything was fixed, we spent another hour with the tech going over things for a second time. Left the dealer for a 2 week vacation and 6 day journey back to Florida.

Over the past 3 weeks everything has worked perfectly......except on our 3rd stop when I was chocking the wheels I noticed that one tire was about 1.5" further outboard than the one in front of it. The 2 tires on the other side are perfectly aligned. At first I thought the wheel was coming off but after a couple of hours of pulling tires and finding nothing, I measured the axles. The forward axle is 1.5" shorter than the rear. How the !#@*& did I miss this. I then checked the stickers that are still legible. DANG!!!! The forward axle was manufactured in 2017 and only has a 3500# rating while the rear is 7000#. I can find no damage to the frame or underbody. Guessing that a wheel bearing went out and grooved the spindle's bearing surface.

Contacted the dealer and they swear that they had no idea when they sold it to us. I do intend to replacing it. I can do the work myself (have replaced a trailer's axles and numerous hubs/brakes). However, the replacement axle is $738 + tax. I know that it is a used 5th and "buyer beware" but I'm a bit disappointed that they made no $$$$ offer of any kind.

Your opinions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #2

That is certainly a safety issue, I would press the sales manager(not salesman) to fix this safety issue, as they should have noticed that when prepping it for re-sale.

I went through a safety issue when we bought our MH, step cover was cobbled up to bypass the air pressure movement controls. I showed it to the Camping World used sales manager and he agreed it was a safety issue that was their responsibility to repair prior to sale.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #3

Definitely take it back and demand they fix it. Document it as of today. They are liable if anything should happen.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

Since traveling back to New Mexico from Florida would be cost and time prohibitive, and also since you are capable of doing the repair yourself, I would see if the dealer would either:

A. Send the parts and install myself. Perhaps throw in a new set of bearings for the rear to help compensate for the time.

B. Reimburse me for the repair cost.

Either would be satisfying to me. Sounds like the dealer was trying to do a good job but the prior owner was a lying piece of poo. It is completely possible the dealer had zero idea and I doubt very seriously they would sell a coach like that.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

Kind of noticeable if like most hubs on a 7k or 8k it would be 6 or 8 bolts vs the lower weight rating axles having 4 or 6 bolts. Take pictures of the axles and send them to dealership and DEMAND replacement as they sold you a very unsafe vehicle that should have NOT been used on the road.
Fawny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Even though well out of warranty maybe a call to Coachman might be in order. After they built this "unsafe" rig.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #7

I do not think that they were aware of the issue. I contacted the owner and he has requested pictures. I have also sent him the spec sheet from Dexter that I obtained by giving them the serial number to the good axle.

They asked me 3 times to please leave them a good review on Google which I did the day before discovering the problem. They will loose more by my updating my review than by doing the right thing. I will update when a conclusion is reached.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #8

Sounds to me like something done by a previous owner. Doubt the dealer or Coachmen had anything to do with it. I'm not sure what liability the dealer might have since I'm sure they sold it as without any warranty.

Several have said it's unsafe but as long as the axles are not overloaded, why would it be unsafe? I guess with that much of a rating difference it is probably pretty likely the axle is overloaded.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Sounds to me like something done by a previous owner. Doubt the dealer or Coachmen had anything to do with it. I'm not sure what liability the dealer might have since I'm sure they sold it as without any warranty.

Several have said it's unsafe but as long as the axles are not overloaded, why would it be unsafe? I guess with that much of a rating difference it is probably pretty likely the axle is overloaded.
7000# & 3500# axles
5th sticker: 6840 front axle; 6840 rear axle

Yep, a bit overloaded. They let me drive off of their lot with an unsafe/illegal RV.....PERIOD
Old 11-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #10

Name the dealer please. I'm in NM and would like to know who to avoid.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #11

Everybody is pretty quick to blame the dealer. When was the last time you crawled under an RV and checked the axle ratings? I doubt that's something very many dealers would check. They probably don't pull brake drums, inspect cables, air hoses or much of anything on other systems either. Caveat emptor comes to mind.

I still wonder if the dealer has any obligation to verify things like that on an "as is" sale of a used RV. Buyers of used vehicles have to be a little more astute than someone who purchases a new unit.

According to this https://www.nmag.gov/uploads/files/P...rs%20Guide.pdf
You had 15 days or 500 miles at best to have the vehicle inspected. I doubt this applies to a 5th wheel trailer at all. I suspect you got what you bought.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
Name the dealer please. I'm in NM and would like to know who to avoid.
I will after I have determined what the end result will be.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #13

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Everybody is pretty quick to blame the dealer. When was the last time you crawled under an RV and checked the axle ratings? I doubt that's something very many dealers would check. They probably don't pull brake drums, inspect cables, air hoses or much of anything on other systems either. Caveat emptor comes to mind.

I still wonder if the dealer has any obligation to verify things like that on an "as is" sale of a used RV. Buyers of used vehicles have to be a little more astute than someone who purchases a new unit.

According to this https://www.nmag.gov/uploads/files/P...rs%20Guide.pdf
You had 15 days or 500 miles at best to have the vehicle inspected. I doubt this applies to a 5th wheel trailer at all. I suspect you got what you bought.
It can be very embarrassing to buy used, thinking you got a great deal.
The dealer and tech spent all the time that you required and fixed everything to YOUR
SATISFACTION.
And then later you find an issue.
Used
No warranty
You signed and paid in full.

It's yours

May I ask ?
Did you hire a professional Certified, Bonded surveyor???

Well then

In $$$s paid out.
Your About even.

Buyer beware
Buyer beware.

Order and install the new axle.
Go on with your life.

Its so easy to go through life blaming others for your oversight???

Maybe next time Buy New ??? To feel better protected???

After you put the new axle on and get back to enjoying your camping experiences

Write the owner a nice letter and enclose a copy of the bill for the new axle.
Politly ask if he will cover the cost of the axle.

But dont ruin your and your wife's and family experience over this Oversite.

You didnt wreck and no one was Hurt
Thank God
HJLowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Time for a lawyer

Just get a lawyer, check out the rv web site RVTravel.com, there are articles about a guy who specializes in rv lemons etc. Pay for help, let them send the letter. In the long run the dealer is going to realize he will lose and cost him attorney fees as well. Start with wanting it all paid for including labor at a local to you service place--after all you will have to pay your lawyer at least for his time to write a letter treating to take them to court.

Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, weight