Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Brake hang-up?????

A few days ago, driving my Class C Ford Superduty Motorhome, I made a firm stop (not hard) on my brakes at a traffic light. I noticed the the left front brake hung-up about a 1/10 of a mile from the gampground and pulled a little to the left. When we stop at the office to register I notice a small amount of smoke coming from the wheel. After we registered at the office when proceded to out sight and the left side was no longer pulling to the left, and seemed fine. Is it possible that it release????

Want to know what we're up to? Check out our website at My Trip Journal http://mytripjournal.com/11246
R1Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Sounds like the caliper is hanging up. Probably time to replace it.

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the caliper is hanging up. It could be that all is needed is to clean the caliper. Check to see if the rotor is grooved, deep scratches, etc. check the disc pads, or the drums & shoes if that type of brake. It could be that you are due for all new brakes.
You could have some grease or oil on the pad or shoe and therefor causing it to hang up. The grease could be comning from a wheel bearing or seal. A lot of things could be causing your problem. I suggest you remove the wheel and do a inspection at your earliest connivence. If that wheel locks up and your on ice or rain, That will be one of those "OHhhh S**t moments."
Bill, enrolled member of Choctaw Tribe. 2005 Fleetwood/Revolution,AFE Filter,Aero Exhaust,Koni FSD shocks,KarKaddy SS. Progressive HW-50C.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2005 Winnie Aspect with a Ford E450 chassis and at 18,000 miles had to replace both calipers due to hang up after a hard stop (not panic) due to hang ups. Ruined one rotor also. Shop, not Ford or RV dealer, private heavy truck front end repair shop said that lack of use caused rust to build up to the point it couldn't be removed without ruining the pistons in the calipers. Previous owner of my unit put very few miles on it so it sat for long periods of time. The fix is not cheap, $800 in all, but it has worked fine for the last 14 months.
Mr John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had to replace both front calipers on my 01 class c due to hang up. Agree with previous posts and would add two things: Make sure that any flexible hoses in the brake lines are checked. They can collapse causing fluid to be trapped so that the caliper won't release. It is possible you do not have any flex line, but if you do they need to be checked. It is also a good investment to flush the brake system and replace the fluid with a high temp version.
Finally, unless you are a pretty good diy kind of person, don't mes with it - take it to a good shop as noted above.
Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote