Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #15

Asking for help , knows no bounds or forums , there are members everywhere willing to help.
Safe travels.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVitto View Post
No bad fuses, let it run for a while this time and still does it, fluid looks good, still seems to brake good too. Am I over worrying.....
Yes..
The system is operating the way it is supposed to... You have power brakes, the power assist is normally provided by the hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump. If you were driving and the engine quit, the power steering pump would no longer assist the brakes. The electric pump would come on to assist your brakes and so would the light to let you know the backup electrical pump was running.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Asking for help , knows no bounds or forums , there are members everywhere willing to help.
Safe travels.
And they have!! I can't thank the men n woman of the forum enough.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Yes..
The system is operating the way it is supposed to... You have power brakes, the power assist is normally provided by the hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump. If you were driving and the engine quit, the power steering pump would no longer assist the brakes. The electric pump would come on to assist your brakes and so would the light to let you know the backup electrical pump was running.
Ok, the electric pump is coming on because it's simulating a stalled engine when the key is off and the engine isnt started. You know I have sat in that car with the key off many many times and never noticed that noise but now I'm thinking, did I ever step on the brake? I thought so but maybe not. But now that I understand the system better ...I Want to hear the pump come on, this way I know it is working and will come on if my engine stalls out. I can't thank you enough!!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Have you started the engine yet ?
Could be a low pressure warning in the hydro-boost system telling you that your almost out of assist for braking and it will reset once the engine runs.
If still on after 30 seconds of engine run time ; do not move the coach.
Shut off the engine and check all system fuses, you may have blown a fuses while hooking up the electrical of the CB.
Quote:
The humming could be the system has an electric pump back up for assist, and the light is a warning to say you're braking on a back up system , use caution and stop the vehicle.
Skip
My dash "brake warning light" comes on, an electric pump motor runs and a warning buzzer sounds if/when the service brakes are applied when the engine is not running.
It is the "backup brake booster system", (in case the hydraulic brake booster pump, belt or hoses fail, or the engine dies while the coach is moving).

On my coach it is also normal for the light to illuminate, the backup motor to run, and the buzzer to sound, if the brake pedal is held/applied/depressed when the coach is stopped/parked/idling and the engine is shut off....(in fact that's the "recommended testing procedure" for my "backup brake booster system").
Mel
'96 Safari, hydraulic disc brakes
Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Consider--
In an automobile with power brakes, the booster is normally engine vacuum and if the engine quits, a vacuum canister will give you a few "assisted" applications of the brakes. After that vacuum is gone, you still have brakes although without assist it is much harder to apply the pedal..

The HydroMax/ Hydro Boost has hydraulic pressure to assist braking forces, without that pressure (usually the power steering system) you would have no brakes...( or steering assist)...That is why you have the backup hydraulic pump which will supply brake pressure as long as you have battery power. Designed to allow you to safely stop the vehicle, not to continue operation. If you exhaust the battery you are back to dragging your feet.....

Does not apply to air brakes...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 AM   #21

I just never steeped on the brakes while the engine was off then. I completely understand the system. In my 2000 F350 when the engine is of so are my brakes. I have have to deal with that a few times.

Tags
brake, dash