Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #1

Brake Light on Dash Question??

Hey Everybody, hope your having a good Monday.
So I just got done putting a CB in my 01 Fleetwood Bounder, and noticed when I step on the brake with the key off the brake light on the dash comes on. Not the light that tells you the Parking park is on , the light that tells you something is wrong. The light says Brake then a circle with an lighting bolt in it. There is also a noise that's comes from under the dash at the same time. It sounds like a mechanical hummmmmm. Is this normal. I don't remember this ever happening. The parking brake is working and so are the regular brakes, they all seem to work fine. I'm worried ya know it is the Brakes and I'm not putting my family in that rv till I know it's gonna be OK. Any thoughts would Really be Appreciated
JVitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #2

Think it's telling you your brake air presure is low, (guessing you have air brakes) ours will stay lit until air is up. If you have air brakes, start engine and let the air come up and try. Then turn engine off and see if light does the same, my best bet after you pump brake a few time and air get low light will come on again.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not sure but- If you have the Hydro-max brake system, your normal brake pressure is provided by the power steering pump, if the pump is not running, (engine off or pump fails) an electric pump is the backup to provide hydraulic brake pressure so you can still stop.
Another system uses an accumulator to hold pressure but that would not make a pump noise...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

I don't have air brakes could it mean the pressure is low with the fluid?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Have you started the engine yet ?
Could be a low pressure warning in the hydro-boost system telling you that your almost out of assist for braking and it will reset once the engine runs.
If still on after 30 seconds of engine run time ; do not move the coach.
Shut off the engine and check all system fuses, you may have blown a fuses while hooking up the electrical of the CB.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #6

The humming could be the system has an electric pump back up for assist, and the light is a warning to say you're braking on a back up system , use caution and stop the vehicle.

What chassis is the coach built on ? Workhorse ? Ford?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

It's a ford I started only for a second when I start it and hit the brake the light doesn't come on and I don't hear the sound. Once shut off it makes the noise again under dash and light comes back on
Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
The noise is the backup electric pump that only operates when no pressure is available from the engine driven pump...and the light is letting you know the backup pump is running.
SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
See if this is the system you have- http://www.alpinecoachassociation.co...r%20Manual.pdf

I had a similar system on my 90 GeorgieBoy, Oshkosh chassis. Don't believe there was a light but the pump would run if pedal was depressed when engine was off. Power steering pump is powered by the engine. What you see is normal...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
See if this is the system you have- http://www.alpinecoachassociation.co...r%20Manual.pdf

I had a similar system on my 90 GeorgieBoy, Oshkosh chassis. Don't believe there was a light but the pump would run if pedal was depressed when engine was off. Power steering pump is powered by the engine. What you see is normal...
Yes this is the Exact system I have in mine!!
Old 08-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #11

I just realize I might have posted this in the wrong section, i am sorry everyone. Just got worried about the brakes and wasn't thinking
Old 08-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteer View Post
The noise is the backup electric pump that only operates when no pressure is available from the engine driven pump...and the light is letting you know the backup pump is running.
So should I look for a blown fuse? I hope it's that's easy
Old 08-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #13

No bad fuses, let it run for a while this time and still does it, fluid looks good, still seems to brake good too. Am I over worrying.....
Old 08-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #14

And thank you for taking the time to answer even though I'm in the wrong area of the forum. I'll straighten up after this thread

Tags
brake, dash