Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, finally had a chance inbetween rain squalls to install my new calipers and pads. After traversing the California CA-211 last September, and having my driver's side caliper freeze for a while, I've been hearing an intermitten clacking sound coming from the driver's side wheel.

(NOTE: All pictures are clickable for enlarging)

Since brakes aren't cheap, and I wanted to replace just about the whole mess, it got post-poned several months.

Needless to say, I'm very glad I DIDN'T take my winter trip this year. Here's why:

That's not THREE brake pads, that's two. The inner pad had SHEARED off of its backer plate. When we pulled the caliper off, the pad fell into two pieces on the ground. Kinda solved the mystery of the brake noise, didn't it?

The original Caliper's on the Dana 44 front axle used a Phenolic Piston to perform the braking action. For those that don't know what a Phenolic piston is, its plastic.

The replacement Calipers (Remanufactured Mopars) are now all Steel Caliper Pistons, the same thing as the One ton front brakes.

REPLACEMENT

ORIGINAL

Another key thing that said it was time to replace the calipers was the piston boots basically disintegrated at a fingers touch, like a piece of ash made from a burned piece of paper.

The one problem we ran into is that the Rotors are not easy to remove. We wound up having to skip turning them as Chrysler decided that 1992 was the year to use a really screwy retaining bolt to hold the hubs on the front axle (Which the rotors are pressed onto the BACKS of).

According to my brother, Les Schwab has some method of turning the rotors while they're still mounted on the vehicle. I have no clue how this'd work, but the rotors were in good shape when we removed the calipers and inspected them. The driver's side is very mildly warped, but not enough to be noticable under most normal brake operation.

Your's truely hard at work wishing he had an impact wrench and a good torque wrench.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, finally had a chance inbetween rain squalls to install my new calipers and pads. After traversing the California CA-211 last September, and having my driver's side caliper freeze for a while, I've been hearing an intermitten clacking sound coming from the driver's side wheel.

(NOTE: All pictures are clickable for enlarging)

Since brakes aren't cheap, and I wanted to replace just about the whole mess, it got post-poned several months.

Needless to say, I'm very glad I DIDN'T take my winter trip this year. Here's why:

That's not THREE brake pads, that's two. The inner pad had SHEARED off of its backer plate. When we pulled the caliper off, the pad fell into two pieces on the ground. Kinda solved the mystery of the brake noise, didn't it?

The original Caliper's on the Dana 44 front axle used a Phenolic Piston to perform the braking action. For those that don't know what a Phenolic piston is, its plastic.

The replacement Calipers (Remanufactured Mopars) are now all Steel Caliper Pistons, the same thing as the One ton front brakes.

REPLACEMENT

ORIGINAL

Another key thing that said it was time to replace the calipers was the piston boots basically disintegrated at a fingers touch, like a piece of ash made from a burned piece of paper.

The one problem we ran into is that the Rotors are not easy to remove. We wound up having to skip turning them as Chrysler decided that 1992 was the year to use a really screwy retaining bolt to hold the hubs on the front axle (Which the rotors are pressed onto the BACKS of).

According to my brother, Les Schwab has some method of turning the rotors while they're still mounted on the vehicle. I have no clue how this'd work, but the rotors were in good shape when we removed the calipers and inspected them. The driver's side is very mildly warped, but not enough to be noticable under most normal brake operation.

Your's truely hard at work wishing he had an impact wrench and a good torque wrench.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:22 AM   #3

Looks like that spindle nut was a Dana invention that has been around for a long time and was not unique to Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep.

A spindle socket that may fit can be found at: http://quad4x4.com/4x4%20Tools.htm

Listed as:

Universal Front Spindle Nut Socket

fits all 6 slot Dana 50/60 and most 4 slot Dana44/GM 10 bolt front spindle nuts on Chevy, Dodge, Ford, GMC, IHC, and Jeep front axles. Also fits many GM 6 hole/slot rear spindle nuts. Will not work on '85-'96 Ford 1/2 ton models with ratchet type spindle nut. 1/2" drive socket has 4 internal lugs and 6 external lugs.

Made in U.S.A.QT1025 Universal Spindle Nut Socket $35

Good job on getting it done. I had a 1970 W200 E20 Camper Special. and it was a beast of a pickup. 4X4 with 4.78s, 440 engine, posi rear, limited slip front, 8 ton pto winch with throttle lock, 4 speed with 12 inch 4800 lb clutch, 12 leafs, 12 inch brake drums, 12 ply tires, 3 ton payload, tinted glass, AC, single cab sweptline long bed, bright body side moldings/front grill/tail light trim and Fisher 8 foot sevear duty power angel plow. The thing that seemed out of place was the large diameter steering wheel to assist you with the fact that there was no power steering included in the package.

Parts were a problem when it needed repair or maintenance as it had a factory chopped drvetrain from a much larger series of trucks. King pin bearings for example were almost double the size from standard issue for a W200. Used to have them pull the W400 and W600 parts just in case and do a visual before leaving the parts store.

Traded it in when it had around 300,000 good miles on it.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:02 AM   #4

Ford has used the "phenolic" pistons also, I had a half ton company pickup that I drove across the Appalachin mountains every day, if you overheated them once, they would start sticking and would have to be relaced. As for the pads some manufactuers glued them on instead of rivets, which was prone to come loose if overheated.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Saw the same socket over at the local Schucks for around $20. Didn't think it'd fit, but will need to clean the area the next time around. Not too worried about it atm, as the brakes are working well as they are now.

Her front end is all calipers, but she has the 12" Drums on her rear. Those are the next on the list of things to do, but they can wait a little longer. The fun part will be figuring out how to get the drums off as they're held on by the axle since is a full floater 60 rear.