Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #15

First off, this could happen to anybody in any year of coach ,heck it could even happen to a Prevost. There is always another side to every story, yes even on the internet. The best thing we all can do is be prepared and ready for when it does happen. That being said, find your emergency window in your RV and open it and make sure whoever stays with you knows about it and how to open it. That family got awful lucky to say the least.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing
First off, this could happen to anybody in any year of coach ,heck it could even happen to a Prevost. There is always another side to every story, yes even on the internet. The best thing we all can do is be prepared and ready for when it does happen. That being said, find your emergency window in your RV and open it and make sure whoever stays with you knows about it and how to open it. That family got awful lucky to say the least.
Yeah, but the manufacturer only signed off on 2 of 5 electrical inspections.... It can happen at any time on any rig but this lawsuit will be far from frivilous.

EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #17

It was one of these, purchased from Susquehanna RV in Selinsgrove, Pa...... Everyone with new campers, be sure to check your electrical inspection stickers and make sure they're signed off. Forest River falls to the back of my list, that's for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GWttExtlarge.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	23021  
Old 06-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
Yeah, but the manufacturer only signed off on 2 of 5 electrical inspections.... It can happen at any time on any rig but this lawsuit will be far from frivilous.
my question is
2 of WHOS 5 inspections? the assembly line or
the master electrician? the local electric code inspector...

i have little inspection things all over and i bet half are not stamped.

last i looked our rigs are considered portable appliances and some things are simply not required, electrically
if the gfci was the culprit or the starting point i would say it was bad,,, they fail all all the time and are cheap cheap cheaply made and if someoen was using a hair dryer at that socket........
be nice to see the final report and suspect cause.
what a way to ruin a camping a trip
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr
my question is
2 of WHOS 5 inspections? the assembly line or
the master electrician? the local electric code inspector...

i have little inspection things all over and i bet half are not stamped.

last i looked our rigs are considered portable appliances and some things are simply not required, electrically
if the gfci was the culprit or the starting point i would say it was bad,,, they fail all all the time and are cheap cheap cheaply made and if someoen was using a hair dryer at that socket........
be nice to see the final report and suspect cause.
what a way to ruin a camping a trip
Inspections by the manufacturer... This issue gave me reason to check my trailer and I can say that my Jayco is stamped on all stickers...
Old 06-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #20

This is horrible regardless of the cause. The pictures don't lie. A brand new RV is gone and a family is lucky to be alive.

It brings up a question in my mind. I see many who are putting extra fire extinguishers in their rigs. As fast as these things burn to the ground it makes me wonder what the intent is. Is it to save the RV, or buy extra time to get out? It seems that trying to save the RV would be futile. I'm am considering adding an extinguisher or two but the plan will be to get out.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Folks I have deleted several posts because they involved personal attacks.

I do believe it was a misunderstanding that spun out of control but let's keep our comments on the topic at hand and not each other.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWhoTris
This is horrible regardless of the cause. The pictures don't lie. A brand new RV is gone and a family is lucky to be alive.

It brings up a question in my mind. I see many who are putting extra fire extinguishers in their rigs. As fast as these things burn to the ground it makes me wonder what the intent is. Is it to save the RV, or buy extra time to get out? It seems that trying to save the RV would be futile. I'm am considering adding an extinguisher or two but the plan will be to get out.
The escape plan is more important...
Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
One wonders if there are more fire - retardant materials that rigs could start being built out of. Livin lite trailers are an example at I have looked at locally. I'd be interested in a class C built out of there materials.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWhoTris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
The escape plan is more important...
It's actually a really good question IMHO. I'm one of those who carry three. One is at the entry door, one in the bath, and one in a basement bay where the BBQ is located.

I'd like to say that I've thought through the plan for what to do in case of X, Y, or Z scenario but I haven't... and need to.

Regardless of what is on fire I think the plan needs to be to get people and animals OUT. I can also see scenarios where I would use the extinguishers inside the coach (ie: a grease fire on the stove?) and even using the one located in the bathroom to perhaps provide an escape path.

I sure hate thinking about these things but need to and threads like this one help us all do a little preparedness self assessment.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #25

Same at home , you need to have Allan of action . I was vol fire dept for 4 yrs . Seen many a mobile home " carry the mail "
No where people are , how many . Something happens you need a muster area , truck . Across the street under the street light ?

These rv's burn so fast , get everyone out and fight it from the outside

So glad everyone was ok , this is why we have insurance .
Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #26

Glad all are OK and hope they can get help for their rv having bad work man ship. I am having trouble with fuel pump or sending unit in my 2000 Harney Coachworks that has a diesel CAT engine 3126B if you know if cat has it own fuel pump or sending unit because their is NO help with Harney motor homes . I have had 2 put in tank but it still is not reading right on the dash . Also if you own a Harney I would like to talk to get information on this coach . I am in Florida . 727-421-2050 Thanks Susan
Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
How is the dog?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had the flex pipe tailpipe on our DP burn thru on our way to Ca on I-5 this last April and the only thing that saved us was the fact that it was raining hard and evidently the spray kept it cool. When the rain stopped and we hit dry pavement,the DW said that she smelled smoke,so I pulled off the freeway at the first off-ramp,we were right on top of one,and I stopped and got out and saw smoke coming out of the rear camera housing.Grabbed the drill and headed up the ladder to pull it apart and saw smoke coming from the right rear tail-light.Jumped down and ran up and grabbed the extinguisher from the front,opened the engine compt,looked over into the corner and saw flames coming from the foam insulation.I blew off one full extinguisher and part of another and got the flames out,but the foam was still glowing orange and you could still see some tiny flames.Tried to get some water from the sink,but we were on a slant away from the pump and so no go.It's amazing how well Awesome,409,rainX w/s cleaner all work as fire suppressors.
I now have a fire ext in the bedroom,beside the driver's seat and one in the rear bay by the inverter, as well as one in the car.I am also carrying several bottles of water.Oh, and I have added a fire alarm in the bedroom as there hasn't ever been one there.Yes,the smoke alarms went off as soon as we stopped.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote