Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Break Away Brake Wire

Could someone tell me where you should connect the breakaway Brake wire that engages the brakes if the trailer comes loose. I am new at this and the dealer advised to connect it to the chain. I don't think that could be right, because the trailer could come off and the chain stay attached. Thanks for the help. Also need help on a good tongue jack. TT weighs 7,000lb.
Dawwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #2

Somewhere convienent on the frame of the tow vehicle is how I always do it.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

The brake wire is for a run away trailer (if it comes completely off of your vehicle) then it uses the trailer battery to activate the brake. I got a spring clip rated for a couple hundred pounds and clip it to the vehicle.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Put it through one of the hitch loops for the chain.. is prolly what he meant..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

It needs to attach to the vehicle in a way that if the whole hitch leaves the line will be pulled. Do not attach it to the hitch. If the hitch departs (it happens) it will not function.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IT should be attached to the vehicle itself, NOT the hitch or bumper but the frame of the vehicle itself, near the center so that it won't be pulled by cornering.. NOTE most of the cables provided, are not long enough to be properly attached so an extension may be needed, the extension is not critical as to materials, just make sure it's strong enough. You can get that kind of cable, and the clamps needed to clamp it, any hardware store.

iF needed you could run the extension through one of the loops on the hitch to "Center" it.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our KK460 Kar Kaddy I had to find a really secure location to attach the break away as it's a mechanical setup. I took small, stainless, aircraft cable and ran it through the frame (not the hitch) on both sides, then used double wire clamps to hold it. The cable has over 600#'s lifting strength. Then I just clip the breakaway cable from the dolly to the frame. This is on a 41' diesel pusher so the frame is pretty stout!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Oh, I agree it should be on the frame of the tow vehicle itself, however , most cable are not long enough (as pointed out) and most salesmen dont know better and think its only there in case the coupler slips off the ball - which I have seen many, many times.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. I got a heavy duty spring clip and clipped the wire to were the chains are hooked to. It appears that my hitch and frame are welded together at the factory as a one piece frame/hitch. Thanks again. Going camping for the first time in 15 years. Should be interesting. Ha!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw7128jw View Post
Thanks everyone. I got a heavy duty spring clip and clipped the wire to were the chains are hooked to. It appears that my hitch and frame are welded together at the factory as a one piece frame/hitch. Thanks again. Going camping for the first time in 15 years. Should be interesting. Ha!
I've seen the frame/hitch welds break and guess where your break away is hooked to? Yep, the chains and break away cable will still be securely hooked to the hitch lying on the road.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #11

I really see no other choice. There is no other frame in the back of the Ford Sport Trac.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
My hitch and frame are welded..
Same with mine, so that's how come I know to hook the break-away to something OTHER than the hitch, you see, the cross bar (Frame member) broke away from the rest of the frame and dropped the hitch, break-away cable and all, right on the ground.

Thankfully other safety devices worked as designed so there was no secondary damage to the car.. Just to my bicycle which rides on the same hitch (Back tire hit the pavement and was promptly toast).

I think I paid 40 bucks to fix the hitch, 75 for the neew bicycle wheel, properly trued, and was back to 100%. IN fact, closer to 150 percent considering the re-build job they did.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #13

I have used the breakaway system myself when the pin came out of one side of my baseplate attachment. This was 100% stupidity on my part, but then I realized that the natural tendency when you look thru your side mirror and your toad is trying to pass you is to slam on your coach brakes. The brakeaway comes on and your toad (mine now attached with only one arm) immediately has it's brakes on and calms down behind the coach. Without the breakaway it smashes into the back of your coach. I now use a clinch pin that makes it almost impossible to fall out. It is real easy to become lax in toad hookup, but you have thousands of pounds traveling 60 mph and you have to do it right every time.

Tags
brake