Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
We have never been broken into as we are relatively new to RVing. I do remember leaving the MH to be serviced over night at the Mercedes Benz dealership and realized that I wasn't just leaving a car to be serviced but actually my home. That there would be things of value in there that an untrustworthy mechanic would have full access to. I didn't like the thought that someone could walk throughout the MH while I wasn't there. So when servicing in the future I try to remember to remove things of sentiment and value. Why tempt fate?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I've not had a problem. DW had someone try the door in a campground one night while I was at a laundromat, big dog asked what they wanted...

More serious, this post: Thief Enters While We Slept!!
Yikes! That is what I'm looking for, RV Park break ins. I have heard of RV break ins in storage yards that are not monitored.
I wonder if that RV park was monitored by any type of security....
Poor people, what a violation of privacy!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph1217 View Post
We've never had anyone break into our RV but at a Campground in Maryland we had someone steal all the food out of our outdoor freezer we bring with us. We had just put about $150 of food in there and the freezer was located right next to our door. It was about 1AM that they did, it was right after I took the dogs out and turned off the lights. Needless to say I was thoroughly freaked out! One of the guys my husband works with has had an attempted break in on their RV, someone tried to get in with a crowbar.
Was your freezer locked?
A crowbar? How brazen!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
We had 4 RVs in our storage lot broken into. They cut the fence on a back side where there was no camera. They broke into the RVs by drilling out the locks on the entry door.

I still have ours at the lot but now remove our TV (on an articulating arm).
So video surveillance wasn't effective then. Interesting.
I suppose even if it was complete coverage, it would be hard to find the guy in the black ski mask....
Sorry to hear that.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Hooligan: (re: Post #4 above)

Chickadee here. Yup,...that was us. It's still hard to believe someone was THAT brazen. I'm STILL looking for a good alarm device that our cats can't accidentally set off but will alert us to such an unwanted entry attempt.

Steve & Lynette
sorry to hear that! Brazen indeed.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1985 View Post
Guys like this need a good beating.
Sometimes guys like this had too many 'good' beatings while they were growing up, rather than a lot of good guidance. just sayin'...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
Guys like that who willing take your property that you worked hard for should never be found again.
Interesting viewpoint on solutions to dealing with people who are desperate and living in survival mode. (or living with addiction)
Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The brand new fleetwood next to me had a $2,000 alarm system put in his a couple weeks before this happened. They busted his door window out also.

His LCD and Stereo system were gone and I had to have the police notify him that he had been broken into.

So much for alarm systems in a storage yard.
Another storage yard break in...was this storage yard monitored with any security measures, do you know? TIA
Old 02-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Our Pug cross has an extra loud bark that seems to keep people away if we are not around. Close friend has a Pit Bull that loves his cats and is a great deterrent to people fooling with his stuff.

Copper is in reality a wuss but sounds like the four horsemen of the apocalypse in the dark. She has thwarted many an attempted break in at his home / business. Total antithesis of the atypical "Junque Yard Dog"
I'm getting the impression that having dogs is not a guarantee to preventing break ins, seems to work for some, but not for others...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
Interesting viewpoint on solutions to dealing with people who are desperate and living in survival mode. (or living with addiction)
You and I should have a long talk sometime.
I was raised in public housing. Most of these people are not desperate or just surviving. If you believe that you have read too many newspapers. Our welfare state will not leave anyone desperate. Most of them think you are a chump for working 40 or more hours a week. They steal for the money but also the big rush they get while doing it. These people teach their kids how to steal. Some of the best christians I have ever known, were in public housing. However 75% are little more than gangsters. My friends thought I was out of my mind to go to school all day and then go to work at 4 pm and work til midnight, Monday thru Friday. I did not survive by stealing, I did it by working. Most of the work was not easy, Pulling corn, cutting okra and picking bell peppers and butter beans, ain't fun in the Georgia sun. But it was honest work.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
Sometimes guys like this had too many 'good' beatings while they were growing up, rather than a lot of good guidance. just sayin'...
I strongly favor a lot more "smart bumps" and a lot less excuses. On the other hand, it's been said you catch a lot more flies with honey,--- I'm just not real partial to flies...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I was raised in public housing. Most of these people are not desperate or just surviving. If you believe that you have read too many newspapers. Our welfare state will not leave anyone desperate. Most of them think you are a chump for working 40 or more hours a week. They steal for the money but also the big rush they get while doing it. These people teach their kids how to steal. Some of the best christians I have ever known, were in public housing. However 75% are little more than gangsters. My friends thought I was out of my mind to go to school all day and then go to work at 4 pm and work til midnight, Monday thru Friday. I did not survive by stealing, I did it by working. Most of the work was not easy, Pulling corn, cutting okra and picking bell peppers and butter beans, ain't fun in the Georgia sun. But it was honest work.
Thank you sir. I wish the world was filled with more people like you but sadly, it is not.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I would love to have a long talk with you, I have a feeling I would mostly be listening I don't read newspapers, at all. But I have worked with some troubled youth. People on welfare can very well be desperate, I know this first hand. I couldn't say what most of them think though, because I have not listened to most of them, only some of them. I suppose some steal for the 'rush', but I think most steal becase they feel they have to. (Movie stars notwithstanding). I would venture to say though, that 'most of us' survive by working and earning honestly.

Anyhow, I posted this question to see where most RV break-ins happen, in RV parks, or in storage with no security. It seems so far, it is the latter. Folks on another thread seem worried that RV keys are cut alike, and worry some other RV'er could enter their coach. The RVers I have met just don't seem like the type who would use their RV key to enter another RVers coach in order to steal from them.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
This past August, we received a phone call from the state police that several units in the storage facility we were formerly using (as of that day) were robbed. They didn't say for sure we were broken into, but that we needed to come out and check. As we were driving down the lane our RV was stored on, the officer approached, rolled down his window and asked, "Do you have the Discovery?"; we said "yes", and he said he'd already been through it - he'd meet up with us to make a report. Stomach sank. The facility was under camera surveillance with a coded gate. Double fence with lots of barbed wire. Lighted as well... all at the front. The crooks had beaten a pathway from the field behind the lot. Threw a couple of ladders over the barbed wire and broke in through the driver's side window of 8 motor homes - took all of the electronics, wrapped them in the blankets they found and unlocked the front door and carried them out. Took the catalytic converters off of about 10 gassers as well. We are now in a lot that has cameras everywhere with the owner on site. His house next door also has the video monitors so he can keep an eye on it. Patrons can also log in to see the cameras' view. With that and the great lighting everywhere around the perimeter, the deterrent is stronger. Being broken into isn't fun. We learned a lot in the process though and believe we've taken steps to prevent it while in storage. We searched for the facility that had the traits the officer suggested. We're much more aware of what constitutes a safe storage facility now. Just a little late in our experience. Lost 5 weekends of camping and cost our insurance company a lot of money. Only happy we were not vandalized as well.

Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote