Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
I'm buying a motion detector for my porch, should help warning off any late night visitors. Most if not all CGs we have stayed at have been no problem. As for storage yards, you really are at the operators mercy. Frankly a storage yard is easy Pickens. The dealership were we brought our rig from leaves the units unlocked but without TVs. Other than a fully CCTV lot, your pretty much holding your breath aren't you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
We park our trailer next to a shed in our yard away from the house, and for years we never even locked it, UNTIL DW went out to put supplies in it after it had sat for about a month. As she rounded the front end, she discovered a homeless woman climbing our back fence behind the trailer coming into our yard. The woman stopped mid climb and dropped back on the other side of the fence. When my wife challenged her she claimed she was going to take a short cut across our property. Then she took off. DW entered our rig and discovered that she had been staying in it!! All the food in the pantry was gone, extra soft drinks were gone, and an obviously used bunk bed. To her credit, the woman didn't trash the place, and actually bagged her trash no less.
It was quite weird knowing that someone had done that. Needless to say, rig scrubbed top to bottom, and from that day on has been locked. Also have never seen that person again. At least all ended well.

We are thankful that DW didn't open the door and discover her inside. Unknown what that person would have done if she felt discovered and trapped.

bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
So while in TX, won't say where but about 3 years ago some pro who knew RV's opened my window and 4 other RV windows and took our wallets off the table where most guys leave them. Just took the $, no CC or ID's, but he took the hide-a-way $ we all have. The CG owner sent me a check for $300 even though she had nothing to do with it. She wanted to keep this quiet.

Now I have Abby, let me see you put your arm in my window now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abbyID.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	33327  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
Guys like that who willing take your property that you worked hard for should never be found again.
I am for that to
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Two Phase Security System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post

Now I have Abby, let me see you put your arm in my window now.
We have a Dual Mode System: Havana secures the ankles, lil' Heather flies at the throat.

Actually, I think the noise they would make the moment a twig snaps or a shoe touches the step would be enough to deter 99.5% of intruders.

[Nearby storage yard with CCTV was recently hit by burglars who'd figured out camera coverage, tore through an isolated stretch of fence and evaded detection. My friend's Essex was among 6 or so broken into, all were stripped of electronics.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deterrent.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	33337  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #34

I suppose, if you are present, and you hear someone breaking in a gun might deter, if the barking dog doesn't. In the story presented in a link above, a gun would have been useless without the barking dog and might actually have been stolen to use in future robberies, or used against the RVers themselves.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #35
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Let's get back on topic about RVs being broken into and not an off topic gun discussion.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
...Now I have Abby, let me see you put your arm in my window now.
And I have Gunny & Thor...Thor is ALWAYS hungry.

Gonna have to name my next 2 buys "Smith & Wesson". Can't you hear it now, "Come Smith & Wesson" LOL

Sorry Mods...just trying to lighten it up a bit.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! All this is scary! I'm just thankful that we live out in the country and can keep the MH parked next to the house with cameras and motion-activated flood lights. I know that we could still be hit but it's a LOT less likely than in a storage facility!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Bounder was broken into a week after we got it. It was parked in a lighted locked storage lot with "security cameras". The cameras covered the front gate and office not the lot. They cut through the back fence and broke into 10 class A MH. They destroyed the entry door and frame on mine, looks like they used a crow bar. They took a $40 DVD player. There was nothing in it. Cost to insurance company $5,700, the parts were $3,700. The door is no longer available they had to have one made. We lost the use of it for 4 months before we had a chance to use it. It now sits in my backyard with an alarm system, security camera inside and flood lights inside and out. And I do not lock it, there is nothing in it worth $5,700.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #39

sorry to hear that.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #40

interesting how discussions about break-ins lead to discussions about protecting one's property by various means.....
Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
interesting how discussions about break-ins lead to discussions about protecting one's property by various means.....
due to high replacement costs, the amount of down time, plus the feeling of being violated, I don't blame anyone for taking any means necessary to protect what they worked hard for.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Everything I own is insured against every kind of loss including break ins.