Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
... It now sits in my backyard with an alarm system, security camera inside and flood lights inside and out. And I do not lock it, there is nothing in it worth $5,700.
A very good point about locking a MH. We don't lock ours when it is in the hanger nor do we intentionally lock basement doors either. The same goes for cars in our garage and the door from the garage to our home. If someone breaks into either they will have the privacy to do what they want. Like the locksmith told me when replacing some locks, if you lock the house door, they will just bust through the dry wall.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #44

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I would like someone to try to get thru them.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Locking vs Unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
A very good point about locking a MH. We don't lock ours when it is in the hangar...
My late next door neighbor (West Nile, last summer) strictly imposed this philosophy on hangar, Bonanza, new-ish Prevost, cars, house. To minimize the insurance claim, he'd say. Granted, he'd minimize valuables available to steal, eg not leaving computers, phones, wallets lying out in the open and utilized his floor safe...

Interesting food for thought, not entirely without merit.

[I'll have to be more careful, choosing my words, with so many FAA hanging around... I'll talk to dozens of you guys today, DFW-NRT. Kudos.]
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
And I have Gunny & Thor...Thor is ALWAYS hungry.

Gonna have to name my next 2 buys "Smith & Wesson". Can't you hear it now, "Come Smith & Wesson" LOL

Sorry Mods...just trying to lighten it up a bit.
I like it
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #47

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some of these stories remind me of a neighbor of my Dad's. She was telling us how a car load of hunters, slightly drunk, came to the door to ask permission to hunt, She told them they should wait for her husband to return, They seemed to want to .. Shall we say, Change the game they were hunting for.. She suggested they talk to 'Duke.. And called him over.. Duke said "hello" and they.... Said GOOD BY, and managed to burn rubber on the gravel driveway pealing out of there.

Duke, is a Great Dane... I'm 6'3" and when sitting down, Duke, "4-down" is eye to eye with me.. Yes, Duke got a cookie from me (Seemed to want one She oked it) Nice Doggie.

Alas, that works best for occupied rigs.. But I've often wondered about a plastic (or concrete for reaons of pun) fido, A Lab or Lab/Shepard cross or Rott would be best, Motion detector "Eyes" and a digital growl, In attack pose. I'll bet when the "Alarm" goes off, that's one B&E man who's gonna be easy to track.. Just follow the brown, stinking trail.

The pun.. When he sues you for harboring a "Vicious animal" you tell the judge "Your honor, I have CONCRETE evedience my dog did not atttack anyone... After some discussion the bailiff signals someone to wheel in a hand cart with the "Dog" on it.. Thunk, Thunk, as I said your honro, CONCRETE..
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #48

Freightliner Owners Club
I am not that cavalier about the security of my family or my property, locks do keep honest people honest.
You won't find my compartments or doors unlocked, with the stuff I prefer the thief to confiscate stacked by the door next to the milk and cookies. Does he just want the flat screen, money, or my single malt. Or is he going Charles Manson on whoever is there.
Most thieves are cowards and you never know how a cornered or surprised coward will react. If I present a more difficult target, hopefully the thieves will visit someone who is not only more accommodating but also well insured.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I am not that cavalier about the security of my family or my property, locks do keep honest people honest.
Exactly - learned this from a 'troubled teen' I worked with who was taking 'coin' from vehicles late at night so he could buy cigarettes. When the police interviewed him, he said he couldn't be charged with break and enter, because he never took anything from behind locked doors, only took from vehicles that were unlocked. He also had the nerve to say that if people locked their vehicles, he would have never taken from them. Misguided indeed, and quickly straightened out by myself and police, and handed a written copy of what is considered 'break and enter', and that one not need break any locks to be charged. (he still argued that he didn't 'break', only entered). That is the 'common sense' of the uneducated.

Our vehicle insurance does not cover any loss if there are no signs of break and enter - ie if we leave it unlocked. No longer have a S&B, but I'm pretty sure it was the same on that house insurance. IOW, the insurance company didn't provide for us to invite theft, then claim for damages, allowing replacement value on all the old stuff.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
If I had insurance that required "signs of forced entry" in order to legitimize a claim, I'd find another insurer.

There are lots of ways to get past locks, and not all of them are visible.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Learned this from an guy I used to work with. He always left a bottle of booze and a $ 100.00 bill on his kitchen table. I don't recall him ever being broken into but his theory was anyone breaking in was either looking for booze or money. He left them an easy grab and run. I leave and old laptop on my desk (hard drive removed) as well as a few other easy grabs. In my shop I leave my older worn out power tools laying about. Don't know if it works but worth a try.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #52
Alaskan Member

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We picked up one of these, here in Alaska we have four legged things that go bump in the night. With one of these lights on the outside by the door you can see what is out there when putting the dog out a night and if any one walks close by it come on.
  • Osram Sylvania No. 72178 SylWHT motion-activating light
  • 1 bright white LED, on/off/auto switch, on for 12 seconds when motion activated
  • Head rotates up and down and side to side, 13-feet and 130-degree detection range
  • Comes with three AAA batteries, indoor and outdoor use
  • Dimensions: 4.5 inches tall by 2.5 inches wide by 2 inches deep
Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post

My late next door neighbor (West Nile, last summer) strictly imposed this philosophy on hangar, Bonanza, new-ish Prevost, cars, house. To minimize the insurance claim, he'd say. Granted, he'd minimize valuables available to steal, eg not leaving computers, phones, wallets lying out in the open and utilized his floor safe...

Interesting food for thought, not entirely without merit.

[I'll have to be more careful, choosing my words, with so many FAA hanging around... I'll talk to dozens of you guys today, DFW-NRT. Kudos.]
We never locked the hanger. Airplanes are so easy to steal. Fortunately, those who are interested already know how to fly (usually).

But, we do lock up the trailer in front of the house. Just to keep the neighborhood light fingers out.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
How is it that the bleeding hearts out there always find ways to condone the crap pulled by B & E artists? I had a long long discussion with one of these types and no matter what was offered in evidence her 'theories' of how to deal with juvies was better than anyone else.

They all either had bad upbringing, a hard life and you name it they had it. The fact that I grew up in a kickass hard neighbourhood and managed to make it into my senior years without being incarcerated or for that matter even arrested for something other than assault which got thrown out when self defense proved.

We have too many professionals making money justifying the actions of these creeps who need nothing more than a swift kick in the pants. Almost all the gang people you see arrested or murdered by other gang members in BC are "known to police' which means they have a record of some sort. A record that can't be disclosed if the perps are under 19 in Canada.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't think anyone is condoning any illegal activity. There are certainly some opinions on minimizing damage caused by B&E events.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
If I had insurance that required "signs of forced entry" in order to legitimize a claim, I'd find another insurer.

There are lots of ways to get past locks, and not all of them are visible.

I will second that epically when it comes to cars and trucks, In fact, I'm fairly good at it.. I used to have one car I could unlock faster WITHOUT using the key.. No, I won't say how.

As for the bleeding hearts societies.. Yes, the poor kid had a hard life, but the problem is it was not hard enough.. You see, when I was his age you pulled stuff like stealing hubcaps and you ate dinner standing up, cause sitting down.. Well.. hurt.. Today you give the kid what for and the aforementioned bleeding hearts have convinced the powers that be that you are guilty of child abuse.. Alas, in some states if said un-punished (All punishment is abuse per the liberals, even "Go to be with no dessert" is abuse per some so called ex-spurts (Spelled that way cause it's my opinion of ;'em)) goes out and robbs someone,, Daddy is liable for the crime!!

Only way to win,, Don't have kids.