Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will second that epically when it comes to cars and trucks, In fact, I'm fairly good at it.. I used to have one car I could unlock faster WITHOUT using the key.. No, I won't say how.
I'm not sayin' I know any of those methods...

And I'd like to add:

Does anyone believe that there are more than a few standard "RV cargo door" keys out there? Or entry door keys, for that matter?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
Again , locks only deter the honest.. Most compartment doors are only minor deterrents even when locked, sliding windows are not difficult to breach.. . A majority of the miscreants likely to burglarize an Rv could care less about common key access. But locks make it a slightly less attractive target, as does a barking dog or an outside motion detector.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #59

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have 2 storage facilities within 2 miles of us. One is in a so so? area with even a barbed-wire fence I wouldn't feel comfortable. The fenced area is surrounded by a trailer park. The other is in a area more remote with no streets at the back or sides of the property for cat-burglars to have easy access for a hauling out their loot.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
we store ours at a friends place never had any trouble they are on the end of a dead end streat but this year they went away and when we came in dec. all elec things gone 2 flat tv dvd toster coffe pot kit stuff
food tools all dvd all cd much more plus stole all the fuel only good thing
was no damage was done to motorhome
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got to admit that a break in is a constant worry while we're parked here at the town house. The RV parking area is out of sight and on the far side of the property. We normally check it a couple of times a day by doing drive by's when comming and/or going from the property. When on the road, I don't worry so much as we travel with two small, but very noisy dogs. Of course, while traveling, I do worry when away from the unit for shopping or visiting.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #62

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know the horses have already left the stable, but.. Did you take the precaution of using a vibrating engraving tool or other "Stamp" type tool to stamp/engrave your driver's license number on everything,, Use the format ST/########

It will not prevent loss, but it might result in recovery (Just about doubles the chance)

True story. My then girlfirend's music instructor got a call from the police to come identify some property, He arrived, picked up a candlestick and held his license up under it, The numbers matched so he postiviely identified it.

Seems the couple who had been arrested for possession of stolen goods. had built themselves a brand new house, fairly nice one too..

They started by stealing the stakes and strings to mark out the foundation, The shovels to dig it with and the cement to mix into concrete to pour it,, Well as you can guess everything from basement to chimmney was "hot" in the criminal parlance.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #63

Quote:
I know the horses have already left the stable, but.. Did you take the precaution of using a vibrating engraving tool or other "Stamp" type tool to stamp/engrave your driver's license number on everything,, Use the format ST/########

It will not prevent loss, but it might result in recovery (Just about doubles the chance)

True story. My then girlfirend's music instructor got a call from the police to come identify some property, He arrived, picked up a candlestick and held his license up under it, The numbers matched so he postiviely identified it.
THAT is EXCELLENT ADVICE. (that I already knew and had forgotten about). The community police offices usually lend out engraving tools just for that purpose.
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
How is it that the bleeding hearts out there always find ways to condone the crap pulled by B & E artists? I had a long long discussion with one of these types and no matter what was offered in evidence her 'theories' of how to deal with juvies was better than anyone else.

They all either had bad upbringing, a hard life and you name it they had it. The fact that I grew up in a kickass hard neighbourhood and managed to make it into my senior years without being incarcerated or for that matter even arrested for something other than assault which got thrown out when self defense proved.

We have too many professionals making money justifying the actions of these creeps who need nothing more than a swift kick in the pants. Almost all the gang people you see arrested or murdered by other gang members in BC are "known to police' which means they have a record of some sort. A record that can't be disclosed if the perps are under 19 in Canada.
Yes, "we all are entitled to our own stupid opinions" LOL A person's experience certainly influences their opinions. BTW, the 'juvenille records' in Canada are always available to the courts and police (although not to the public) and are disclosed to that extent.
Here is one of those 'bleeding heart' people at work:
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #65

Quote:

As for the bleeding hearts societies.. Yes, the poor kid had a hard life, but the problem is it was not hard enough.. You see, when I was his age you pulled stuff like stealing hubcaps and you ate dinner standing up, cause sitting down.. Well.. hurt.. Today you give the kid what for and the aforementioned bleeding hearts have convinced the powers that be that you are guilty of child abuse.. Alas, in some states if said un-punished (All punishment is abuse per the liberals, even "Go to be with no dessert" is abuse per some so called ex-spurts (Spelled that way cause it's my opinion of ;'em)) goes out and robbs someone,, Daddy is liable for the crime!!

Only way to win,, Don't have kids.
Call me a bleeding heart or a pacifist, or whatever you like. I don't believe in hitting children in order to make'em learn. I believe in teaching. I believe violence begets violence, and I know I'm not alone in that philosophy. I believe in restorative justice - it teaches rather than punishes. Punishment begets revenge and rebellion and/or fear and low self esteem. Low self esteem is a contributor to theft and bullying. I believe that parents should spend more time with their children than money. However, we see that parents have different philosophies on child rearing, and they do not come with an instruction manual. In Canada, the government does hold parents accountable for damages their kids cause up to the age of 19, and up to the amount of $10,000. Only way to win: Be who you want your children to be, role modelling is the best way to achieve that - put time value with your children above money, and teach them well without violating them - they will be more likely to turn out to be productive caring respectful members of society. JMHO from my own experience.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #66

Freightliner Owners Club
HappyCCRVr: Parents do have different philosphies on how to raise children, and I have seen positive results from a variety of approaches. Your desired result of raising productive and respectful individuals would certainly benefit society. Bleeding Hearts are not the parents honestly involved with raising their children.

The destructive, undermining, "Bleeding Hearts" are that part of society that require no responsibility or retribution for offenses against society, by adults or children.
But they forgive any transgression by blaming their: (Pick more than 2) single parent, poverty, poor neighborhood, lack of a role model, school bully, abusive parents, not enough government assistance, ugly girlfriend or acne. Any excuse will do, especially if it puts the blame on society, religion, law enforcement, or the other political party, anywhere but the individual.

At some point society has to enforce it's laws and punish those who break them. It not just MH break-ins, overall there is little fear of punishment or respect for the law, and there is a segment of society and the media that fosters that attitude.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
Anyone had their RV broken into?
Where was it located at the time?
How did they enter?
Going back on topic for you, HappyCCRVr.
Mine have never been broken in to.
3 rigs in over 20 years.
I am F/T and stay in safe places.
Before F/T I stored it in safe places.
But no place is perfect.

I wish all of you Happy Trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
HappyCCRVr: Parents do have different philosphies on how to raise children, and I have seen positive results from a variety of approaches. Your desired result of raising productive and respectful individuals would certainly benefit society. Bleeding Hearts are not the parents honestly involved with raising their children.

The destructive, undermining, "Bleeding Hearts" are that part of society that require no responsibility or retribution for offenses against society, by adults or children.
But they forgive any transgression by blaming their: (Pick more than 2) single parent, poverty, poor neighborhood, lack of a role model, school bully, abusive parents, not enough government assistance, ugly girlfriend or acne. Any excuse will do, especially if it puts the blame on society, religion, law enforcement, or the other political party, anywhere but the individual.

At some point society has to enforce it's laws and punish those who break them. It not just MH break-ins, overall there is little fear of punishment or respect for the law, and there is a segment of society and the media that fosters that attitude.
Excuses are a little different than explanations. Explanations often explain WHY break-ins happen (minus the girlfriend with acne on a serious note) Restorative justice corrects behaviour through understanding. It holds perpetrators accountable. Accountability - lost in punishment as much as do as I say, not as I do. Beatings with baseball bats only create more violation, as I understand it. Sometimes beatings (with any object or behavior or words) create the violators we so much love to hate. Always though, there is a reason - an explanation - which we only learn through understanding. Where there is no fear, there is no punishment that solves the problems. Restorative justice doesn't obliterate blame, it holds one accountable for their actions and provides opportunity for understanding and restoration, and in turn, prevention of future violations. I know a woman who used restorative justice with her husband's murderer Katy Hutchison & Ryan Aldridge (Canada) - Forgiveness Project who could ever forgive a crime of such magnitude? Restorative justice does not allow for placing blame on anyone but the individual who committed the crime. A different kind of 'retribution' indeed.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Going back on topic for you, HappyCCRVr.
Mine have never been broken in to.
3 rigs in over 20 years.
I am F/T and stay in safe places.
Before F/T I stored it in safe places.
But no place is perfect.

I wish all of you Happy Trails!
How do you identify 'safe places'
Thanks for back on topic post!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post

How do you identify 'safe places'
Thanks for back on topic post!
Like I said, no place is perfect. But I avoid the negatives.

Storage was away from town, gated, lighted, 24x7 camera monitoring.

Camping, I avoid the negatives if possible. Some things that matter:

The blinking LEDs by my door
Leaving the site looking lived in while away
Boondocking in groups
Well maintained parks and resident units
Away from town is good
Parks with stated quiet time rules
Patrolled is good
Gated is good
Effective lighting
Ratings on campgroundreviews.com
Word-of-mouth reviews
iRV2 reviews

And no visible kegs or flashing beer signs!

This is certainly not all-inclusive, nor any guarantee of safety, but you get my drift. I sleep well.

Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote