Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #71

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Somone once suggested you put out a dog bowl full of water.. A very very very BIG dog bowl.

Add a "Forget the dog, Beware the owner" sticker on the door (Get 'em from your Smith & Wesson dealer)

And the would be B&E man sees said bowl & sticker and thinks... "Another RV might be less... Hungry".

Note, you do not actually need a dog. (OR gun).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
We should all keep in mind that break-ins of occupied RV's are exceedingly rare, so best emphasis should probably be on measures protecting the unit when unoccupied.

Per dogs:

I'm surprised that more storage lots don't have them! Three or four goodsized sets of teeth certainly keep the parts thieves out of our (fenced) local junkyard...The owner keeps them kenneled during the day, but at night he locks the gate and the yard's all theirs.

He hasn't lost so much as a hubcap in years!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca
We should all keep in mind that break-ins of occupied RV's are exceedingly rare, so best emphasis should probably be on measures protecting the unit when unoccupied.
Exceedingly rare! Is that more rare than really really rare. Thank you for that - I now know how to properly order my steak - exceedingly rare please. And I can sleep better too, knowing just how rare occupied break ins are.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #74

Don't be too sure. My daughters car had the passenger window smashed out so they could break in. The car was unlocked. Meth heads are stupid, don't expect them to try to open the door before they smash something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
A very good point about locking a MH. We don't lock ours when it is in the hanger nor do we intentionally lock basement doors either. The same goes for cars in our garage and the door from the garage to our home. If someone breaks into either they will have the privacy to do what they want. Like the locksmith told me when replacing some locks, if you lock the house door, they will just bust through the dry wall.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #75

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
Restorative justice corrects behaviour through understanding. It holds perpetrators accountable. Accountability -(is) lost in punishment. .................Restorative justice does not allow for placing blame on anyone but the individual who committed the crime. A different kind of 'retribution' indeed.
Not familiar with restorative justice but did a little research. Apparently a very progressive approach, I think it has a long way to go for acceptance in U.S. society.
"Restorative justice principles are characterized by four key values: first, the encounter of both parties. This step involves the offender, the victim, the community and any other party who was involved in the initial crime.
Second, the amending process takes place. In this step, the offender(s) will take the steps necessary to help repair the harm caused.
Third, reintegration begins. In this phase, restoration of both the victim and the offender takes place. In addition, this step also involves the community and others who were involved in the initial crime.
Finally, the inclusion stage provides the open opportunity for both parties to participate in finding a resolution. The process of restorative justice is lengthy and must be committed to by both parties for effective results.
"

So if someone vandalizes and burgularizes my MH. We should sit and discuss why he did it, he should return my property, repair damages, and apologize, and maybe even promise not to do it again. Could even involve community service to make amends. I can't seriously believe that if what is stolen has any value that this is an acceptable solution. (apparently assumes the burglar has sufficient finances or ability for restitution, repairs etc.)
I have earned my property and it has value to me. In some other future, if all property belongs to the community and has little or no personal attachment, the sit down and discuss may have a place.
Understand, I have no intention of making light of your belief, but I would not be able to resolve a problem in that manner.
I am much more inclined toward: you should not do the crime if you can't do the time. Incarceration should not be a pleasant experience.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #76

Mine sits in my side lot, unlocked with the key in the ignition. I also don't lock my front door when I leave the house during the day.

All depends on where you live.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
All depends on where you live.
1957?
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #78

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Incarceration should not be a pleasant experience.
That seems to be one of the problems now. Due to the ACLU and the bleeding hearts a lot of the prisoners have it better on the inside than they do on the outside.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #79

Hey, HappyCCRVr

So much for getting it back on topic. We tried. Shall we let the vultures have it?

Dave

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #80

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Hey, HappyCCRVr

So much for getting it back on topic. We tried. Shall we let the vultures have it?

Dave

It's all yours
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Not familiar with restorative justice but did a little research. Apparently a very progressive approach, I think it has a long way to go for acceptance in U.S. society.
"Restorative justice principles are characterized by four key values: first, the encounter of both parties. This step involves the offender, the victim, the community and any other party who was involved in the initial crime.
Second, the amending process takes place. In this step, the offender(s) will take the steps necessary to help repair the harm caused.
Third, reintegration begins. In this phase, restoration of both the victim and the offender takes place. In addition, this step also involves the community and others who were involved in the initial crime.
Finally, the inclusion stage provides the open opportunity for both parties to participate in finding a resolution. The process of restorative justice is lengthy and must be committed to by both parties for effective results.
"

So if someone vandalizes and burgularizes my MH. We should sit and discuss why he did it, he should return my property, repair damages, and apologize, and maybe even promise not to do it again. Could even involve community service to make amends. I can't seriously believe that if what is stolen has any value that this is an acceptable solution. (apparently assumes the burglar has sufficient finances or ability for restitution, repairs etc.)
I have earned my property and it has value to me. In some other future, if all property belongs to the community and has little or no personal attachment, the sit down and discuss may have a place.
Understand, I have no intention of making light of your belief, but I would not be able to resolve a problem in that manner.
I am much more inclined toward: you should not do the crime if you can't do the time. Incarceration should not be a pleasant experience.
I understand your thoughts. And no, it won't work for everyone, and wouldn't work for you, because both parties must be willing. And it is time consuming, not a quick fix at all, it is a process, but one that lends itself to less recidivism. What was stolen from the woman in the link was her beloved husband, and restorative justice worked well for her, and the young man who murdered him, as well as the community they speak to. If you heard them talk of their experience, you might change your thoughts on it - I know I did once I understood. A bit off topic again...but I am glad you are more familiar with RS now.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
That seems to be one of the problems now. Due to the ACLU and the bleeding hearts a lot of the prisoners have it better on the inside than they do on the outside.

Jon
A common misunderstanding by those who have never experienced it themselves, or know someone who has been incarcerated.
Compared to the homeless though...at least they are fed daily and given medical attention when required.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Like I said, no place is perfect. But I avoid the negatives.

Storage was away from town, gated, lighted, 24x7 camera monitoring.

Camping, I avoid the negatives if possible. Some things that matter:

The blinking LEDs by my door
Leaving the site looking lived in while away
Boondocking in groups
Well maintained parks and resident units
Away from town is good
Parks with stated quiet time rules
Patrolled is good
Gated is good
Effective lighting
Ratings on rvparkreviews.com
Word-of-mouth reviews
iRV2 reviews

And no visible kegs or flashing beer signs!

This is certainly not all-inclusive, nor any guarantee of safety, but you get my drift. I sleep well.

Happy trails!
Thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #84
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can we please get back on topic.

Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote