Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
As it turns out there were golf carts stolen as well.
So were is this place ?????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
Well it seems like most of these break-ins are unrelated to actual campsites. Storage places seem to be the area to watch out for. And it also sounds like the blame is not on neighboring campers, but cruisers from the "outside". So the safest places must be those with gate attendants or locked gates at the entrance. Parks with some kind of restricted access would be safest.
This park has restricted access at the front entrance, via human resources.
However, there is an exit gate at the back road which requires a remote control opener to enter, but not to exit.
There are high brick fences around all sides but one, according to city ordinance that prohibits it on that one road. That is the fence that was jumped the first night we stayed, the next day we requested a move away from the noisy traffic, and the security issues. Our ladder was taken from the back of the coach, and used to climb back out after the bike was dropped over the fence - we saw the marks in the gravel from the bike tires.

The park is in Mesa Arizona. It is an awesome RV park other than these thefts from the property. We have suggested security cameras at the back gate. There are security carts (utilizing 36 work campers) until 2am, but the thefts happen after their shift ends. All but one golf cart was retrieved, but I haven't heard that any bikes were returned.

Most people in this park speak out about not locking up their rigs parkmodels or belongings because it is a safe park. No mention of any of this in any newsletters - no warnings, no announcements, however word of mouth travels quickly - yet still people tell us that they don't lock up. As a result, one couple told us their friend came to visit while they were not home, knocked, open the door and their little dog bolted out and was lost for some time. To me, it just makes sense to lock up when you are gone, unless you don't mind that someone takes something from you. I learned this decades ago when a friend left her house open and the insurance company would not cover their losses because there was no sign of break and enter. I suppose the insurance company had a point, if you invite theft, you are not doing due diligence to prevent it.
Regardless of what park we are in, or how safe it appears, we just have developed the habit to lock up.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #101

I didn't read all 8 pages of this thread. But, we have very little crime around here and I don't have to worry about being broken into. I don't even know if my TT door locks work. I have never used them.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #102

Freightliner Owners Club
Caveman---Sure- You broke the code. Live where there are no people....
You probably know all 57 other families living in Stoden. This time of year you probably don't get a lot of transients either. Even your bicycles are safe.

Does sound nice though...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Caveman---Sure- You broke the code. Live where there are no people....
You probably know all 57 other families living in Stoden. This time of year you probably don't get a lot of transients either. Even your bicycles are safe.

Does sound nice though...

57 families!!!! In Storden?? Boy, I don't know. There are 260 people in the town. How many families would that make for?

Now, the county seat around here is in Windom.
It's a big city, it has 4500 people. Nobody ever bothers your RV there either but, sometimes bicycles get stolen. Of course they always find them back on the other side of town. At the police station they have a little area with a chain link fence and all the criminal bicycles locked up inside it. If you see your bike you go and identify it and they will release it to your custody.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
57 families!!!! In Storden?? Boy, I don't know. There are 260 people in the town. How many families would that make for?

Now, the county seat around here is in Windom.
It's a big city, it has 4500 people. Nobody ever bothers your RV there either but, sometimes bicycles get stolen. Of course they always find them back on the other side of town. At the police station they have a little area with a chain link fence and all the criminal bicycles locked up inside it. If you see your bike you go and identify it and they will release it to your custody.
Best way to identify and recover stolen items is to engrave them with your driver's license number (never your social security number)
Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #105

Freightliner Owners Club
Caveman, still sounds like a nice town... must be growing
Storden, Minnesota From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mayor Larry Schwarting
Storden is a city in Cottonwood County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 219 at the 2010 census. There were 104 households, and 57 families residing in the city.

Take care..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Caveman, still sounds like a nice town... must be growing
Storden, Minnesota From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mayor Larry Schwarting
Storden is a city in Cottonwood County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 219 at the 2010 census. There were 104 households, and 57 families residing in the city.

Take care..
Oh, OK. I just took a guess. No, not growing. I know in the 2000 census it had 283 poeple becasue that is a Chevy small block engine size. I dind't know crabby old Larry was the mayor. I suppose nobody else wanted the job.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #107

Quote:
Best way to identify and recover stolen items is to engrave them with your driver's license number (never your social security number)
I engrave my tools with my inatials and my lap top computer with my name, address, and home phone number. Never thought of drivers license number. Good idea!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #108

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I remember not too many years ago that the Florida Driver's License number WAS your social security number. I also remember having my ss number imprinted on my checks! Now I don't even use checks. Times sure have changed.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #109

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I wouldn't use my name and SS# as an engraved ID. Make a unique identifying mark, or use your initials but never make it easy for identity theft. JMHO
Old 02-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #110

Driver's License number Good idea
Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #111

Last four numbers of soc. sec. #
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
I engrave my tools with my inatials and my lap top computer with my name, address, and home phone number. Never thought of drivers license number. Good idea!
Thanks, but not my idea actually, suggested by our community police office crime prevention program, where they offer the engravers to anyone in the community wanting to borrow them.

Personal information is to be carefully guarded where I come from.
The other thing I learned was to take your garage remote control into the house, rather than leaving it in the vehicle(s) where it is easily obtained by someone who breaks in. Our neighbour learned that the hard way.

Also, it is a good idea if you have a panic button on your keychain to put it at your bedside table, so if you hear noises outside and suspect a unwanted guest, rather than go outside to look you can press the panic button and they will flee in very short order.

Safe travels!