Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #155
Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Originally Posted by carahsue View Post
We love to RV a lot so we are planning on taking him with us . So far
the training is going fair , he loves the Motorhome , but not so much a
leash .
Congrats on your rescue.. cute and as others have mentioned.. definitely mostly Lab.

If you go to YouTube.. you can find a ton of resources on walking a dog. This young lady really lays down some good info. It's really getting your dog to pay attention to you.. and not allow the pulling to happen on the dog's terms. A small bag of treats works wonders. (Just remember the caloric intake provided by treats and eliminate part of that from the regular diet.)

Here is a start.. tons to see.. chose the one you like best and get started:

How to train your dog not to pull- Loose Leash Walking - YouTube
The first thing a dog learns takes the most time.. the second thing a bit less time.. etc. You may or may not get your dog to walk off leash effectively unless you have a good enclosed place to teach him/her. Teaching to "come" is one of the most important things you can teach a dog.. Treats work wonders. Soon, you'll be able to ween the dog off treats.. but, it's nice to have some as a "reminder"... especially when they really do good. Another very important thing to teach is "leave it".. Dogs want to pick up everything in their mouth.. some things are truly dangerous.

My dog once picked up a cigarette butt.. and got quite loopy. I had no idea why she was loopy until I took her to the vet and found she had ingested some mary ju anna.. Didn't think too much about a butt.. but, now I know better.

Bill Splaine, Santa Rosa, CA N6GHG
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T, Recumbent trikes, Brewing, Woodcarving and Ukulele
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #156
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our kids

These are or kids 2 goldendoodles 1 wanabe a doodle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	assistance_dogs.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	13529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike week 2010 002.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	472.4 KB
ID:	13530  

2012 210 roadtrek simplicity
letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #157
Monaco Owners Club
When I was a kid camping at lake Shasta our beagle named Barney when into a camp site and came out with a 10 pound salami in his mouth.. me and my brothers ran back and put it back on the table. Wonder if they found the teeth marks..
Steve & Denise
2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36.6 ft
w22, 8.1 Vacaville, Ca.
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #158
An Oriental Retriever
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon Camera Backup 08-11 248.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	13531  
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #159
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Bucksmom View Post
WilleyB your beautiful Gabby may be a Gordon Setter. She sure is pretty.
Thanks, yes she is a beautiful animal.
a Gordon? I don't think so, she isn't a difficult dog like the Gordons, also she's much too large for a Gordon. She has all the traits, the size and temperment of the Newfoundland dog and the coloring is quite accurate. The only thing not quite Newf is her snout. A Newfie breader who was interested in her (until I told her Gabby was spayed) who claimed after asking me where I got her that Gabby was a Newfoundland. But then again I got her from people who wanted to get rid of her at 3 1/2 months old. Now if she is a Newf , that brings up the question of why pay $600 and upwards for a dog to give away. She was dying no doubt about that, and destructive enough so I was sorry I took her home. But in the end we now have a wonderful companion (grooming entails much work) but well worth it.
I guess it really doesn't matter much to us what the breed is, we love her for herself. Wish we had a larger RV though

Vanguard VXL2000
Ford V10 Super Duty
Me the Missus and Gabby
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #160
Two labs and a Welsh SS.
Cadie, Cassie and Captain

rollbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #161
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Seems that breed of dog is like ethnicity of spouse... we are all different, have varied needs and desires. One person's great dog is another's nemisis.

Dogs enrich our lives like nothing else and I will have one till that last trout sips a midge and I slide into my last hookset!

Be safe, enjoy the open roads, and PLEASE Thank a Veteran for our freedoms !
05 Itasca Suncruiser, Stock w/ScanGuage II,
2012 Honda Accord TOAD,Home Based in Spring Hill, Florida...Retired Navy Officer
MegaRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #162
120lb yellow lab and 2 Chihuahuas. Yep the Chihuahua's rule the roost.
Jrmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #163
Breed of dog you RV with

Chi-Weenie; sub species-SnuggluppagussClick image for larger version

Name:	1ST MATE    21JUN2011 A.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	13537
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #164
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by srzak View Post
Animals are more like people than some people I know. They don't judge. They love unconditionally. They at times are our best friends. Where would we be without these amazing creatures. Our companions thru life from our childhood to now I bet you can name each pet with a funny story ....
And they are remarkably forgiving and don't hold grudges. This would be a better world if people acted more like dogs.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #165
We have 5 dogs, and just bought are 3rd RV so that we can use it primarily for dog shows. It is fitting that this would be my first post here! We have 3 Berger Picards, and 2 Ibizan hounds. Both breeds are quite rare, so we travel to meet the breeds, UKC shows, and Rally obedience and lure coursing events.
Let the fur fly,
The Flywire Crew
Flywiredogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:17 AM   #166

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We travel with 2 rescued boys, our kids as DW likes to call them. This is only their 2nd year of traveling so still adjusting to it a bit. Wouldn't consider leaving home with out them. Not sure what breeds they are, they didn't ask about my pedigree so I didn't inquire about theirs.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #167
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spark the Wonder Dog

After losing our beloved Skippy a mixed breed we adopted 15 years ago. He was my wife's guardian angel ( Believe it or not ) but he would almost always warn me of 1 of my wife's oncoming Siezures. Well Skip was lost to cancer last year and after 2 months of grieving I convinced my DW to go to the shelter. well we went to 16 shelters. No other dog could take Skips place in her heart. Well the day before Thanksgiving we went to a shelter 50 miles away and low and behold there were 4 Beagle pups. NO I said not another Beagle our last Beagle was a Hellian. allway breaking out to go hunting. and keeping us up all night. But the little runt is getting picked on by his big brother she said. It was raining and the much larger brother was keeping the runt from coming in from the rain. WELL the rest is history we now have a Bed hogin, coach sleeping, loud snoring Beagle...Named Sparky. And the family will not go anywhere without him especialy camping. good thing we bought a Class A cause he would have not put up with the tent camping we used to do.

Jeff / Sherri
Heather / Robert
And yes Spark the Wonder mutt/ I meen dog

millred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #168
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up Update on "Ben"

Update on "Ben" , the little black dog that adopted us . We took him on his first overnight RV trip . His behavior was really good . He walked on his long leash , just would not potty though ( he waited untill the next morning ) . He liked rideing in the RV and checking out the campground . Looks like we have a camping companion .
Thanks for the tips folks .
Attached Images

carahsue 2005 Winnebago Voyage 35'gas/2 slides
all-options we wanted, FULL-TIMERS / LOVEit!!!
carahsue is offline   Reply With Quote