Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #15

A bit off topic but the first trip I took with my new to me then Rand McNally GPS especially for RV'ers (their advertisement) the gps tried to route me on a road with an overpass lower than the height I set in the gps. I would cut them some slack but it was on a county road the gps took me on to get to the campground.

So, to reinforce what others have said, measure your rig and approach those overpasses that are close to your limit very carefully.

2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
If you want to avoid a major problem measure the MH as it would be driven air rides up
and such. If you come to a bridge that is less than one foot clearance be careful I have
seen bridges signed for one height but due to resurfacing of the road were a lot less.
Also be careful of the sides of bridges their height may not be what is indicated.
I measured the MH it is 10'9" on top of the AC level. It has a sticker on the Windshield that says 12'. Now it like I wish I didn't measure it beacuse If I thought it was 12 feet I wouldn't have gone under any thing that was under 12'9' . Now what if I come to a Bridge that says 11'5 do I go under and chance it.. Maybe I will just stick to the 12' If it ain't at least 12 feet I am not going under it..

Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Does anyone measure their height and then get an antenna to mount on the front bumper that goes that high and when you approach a bridge you think you might be a squeaker, the antenna would hit if your air conditioner would get scraped? I've thought about that and also thought about hubby getting me curb finders if I don't get a rearview camera system very quickly, so I know without having to get out and double check several times in the backing up and all where exactly I am in those mirrors. ( Brand newbie in an oldie but goodie, we hope!)
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few things: First.. If you go to the discovery owner's group web page they have a file of "Points of interest" their members have put together, one is "Low bridges". I suspect the POI factory has a list like that too. You can then feed your GPS. or maping program.

They also have Wal-Marts, Moose Lodges, and all sorts of other interesting files. You will need to learn how to import data into your map system.

Now.. bridge heights.. You need to measure the height of your rig, BEST way.. Find the hight spot on your rig and use a laser level while parked beside a building.. Measure the height of the spot where the laser hits the building.

NOW.. The bridges..... If the bridge says 11'6" You MIGHT still be able to go under it,, HOWEVER before you do pull off, get out ye-old measuring stick (A stick which is the same length as the RV is high plus a little more just to keep the tightie whiteies white!) and make sure it fits.. Often the left lane (or center of span) is higher than the sign. BUT DO NOT COUNT ON THAT, measure first, then try.

Another thing to remember, the bridge you go under today, YOU MIGHT NOT FIT UNDER TOMORROW after they re-surface the road effectively lowering the bridge a couple of inches. Many truck drivers have hit bridges in the Detroit Metro Area and they told my troopers (I was a dispatcher) "But I went under it last trip no problem" county had re-surfaced the road in between.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #19

Where can you a Commercial Carriers road Atlas??
Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by longarrow View Post
Probably on Amazon, but also at most truck stops.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by longarrow View Post
at a truck stop !
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the question of "Do I go under the 11'6" bridge....

What you do is stick it.. You get a couple of screw together painter poles (Brush extension handles, these also double as push broom handles but those do not have the socket end so you can't screw two or 3 toghther) or an extension painter's pole (Mine is 12 feet long.. But I use it for other things.

Solid wood handles. you put 'em together and cut one so it's the same length as the rig is high My extension type Extend to the height of the rig and mark with a paint ring.

IF the stick goes under the bridge, the RV goes under the bridge.

If the stick hits both bridge and road at the same time, The RV takes an alternate route.

A front mounted HF antenna works good too actually a common quarter wave CB whip should do it on most rigs. You might need to mount a bit higher..

Problem is... I want more stopping room than that gives me. Way more.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you use a GPS there's a company at "lowclearances.com" that sells a program that can be put on a lot of GPS's that warns you of low clearances all over the U.S.A. It's very cheap, I think I paid $14.95. I found it to be pretty good except for one thing. It is loaded into your POI list and you set it for the distance you want to be warned. The catch is, it warns you of any low clearances within that distance, even if they are not on your programmed route! I've been traveling down the interstate and be warned of a 11' low clearance! When I contacted them about this problem they said that some GPS's can be set to only show POI's on the programmed route. Mine could not! Good luck and duck your head for those low bridges!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
another thing to keep in mind. if the sign is white with black letters it is an accurate measurement. if the sign is yellow with black letter it is an approximate measurement.

when i am going of of the interstate i always check my motor carriers atlas, height restrictions section. that will cover interstates and state highways. tertiary and local roads would not be in there.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
To the question of "Do I go under the 11'6" bridge....

What you do is stick it.. You get a couple of screw together painter poles (Brush extension handles, these also double as push broom handles but those do not have the socket end so you can't screw two or 3 toghther) or an extension painter's pole (Mine is 12 feet long.. But I use it for other things.

Solid wood handles. you put 'em together and cut one so it's the same length as the rig is high My extension type Extend to the height of the rig and mark with a paint ring.

IF the stick goes under the bridge, the RV goes under the bridge.

If the stick hits both bridge and road at the same time, The RV takes an alternate route.

A front mounted HF antenna works good too actually a common quarter wave CB whip should do it on most rigs. You might need to mount a bit higher..

Problem is... I want more stopping room than that gives me. Way more.
It sounds like a lot of fun. I would guess it would take a lot of planning like wow here I am. I measured the bridge, I can't get under the bridge what is my options for getting out of this situation. Do I back up for about a half mile? Make a Uturn. Or sit and swear.. As my wife is sayin I tiold ya.. I told ya..It wasn't gonna fit.. Or even worse as you are in the middle of the road measuring a tractor trailer Runs you over because he knows he can fit... I guess you wouldn't want this to be an Everyday occurrence.. Maybe just an emergency with almost no other route...
but I will make me a stick..
Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
I measured mine yesterday, and because it is only a small c type MH... I don't think I'll have much trouble with overpasses... much more for me to remember on country roads is my weight... I need to make a sticker for my windshield with that.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #27

OK,,summer is coming, meaning repaving work is coming...who quick are all these published and internet and GPS programs updated? Just a thought!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
You also should consider that the bridge markings (height) may have been posted prior to the road being resurfaced. Many bridges may actually be lower than their posted heights.

My neighbor tore off his Satellite dome, and two of the three AC units going under a bridge that was posted higher than it really was.

'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote