Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

bridges

Ok I pick up my RV today. I am a very Newbee.. Very new.. So I an driving home which is about an hour and it is back roads, Well it is funny I had a conversation just before I went to pick her up with my neighbor and he mentioned bridge heights. Well wouldn't you know it. coming home going down the road I see a sign bridge height 12'9". Motor home 12 on sticker. I went under the bridge.. The about 45 minutes away bridge 11'6" nope anit happening.. So this is my question. Why aren these on Google map? And two.. What is the rule of thumb for bridges. I mean was it safe that I went under abridge that said 12'9" what if it said 12'3 or so.. Common sense says well hell no.. need some help on this one. And please excuse my ignorance..
bassoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Measure the height of your rig, that's the only way to know.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You best be out there soon measuring the height of your rig. Nobody can possibly tell you the real height.

Just as they can't tell you the real weight on your tires.
You need to weigh your rig and set the tire pressures accordingly

My rig is 11'11" so I put a label on my windshield inside up at the top, that says 12'

However if I get to a bridge that says height 12'5' I'm gonna stop and eyeball things a while.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You best be out there soon measuring the height of your rig. Nobody can possibly tell you the real height.

Just as they can't tell you the real weight on your tires.
You need to weigh your rig and set the tire pressures accordingly

My rig is 11'11" so I put a label on my windshield inside up at the top, that says 12'

However if I get to a bridge that says height 12'5' I'm gonna stop and eyeball things a while.
Agree fully. Far better to be safe than sorry. It could ruin your trip and be mighty costly.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
If you want to avoid a major problem measure the MH as it would be driven air rides up
and such. If you come to a bridge that is less than one foot clearance be careful I have
seen bridges signed for one height but due to resurfacing of the road were a lot less.
Also be careful of the sides of bridges their height may not be what is indicated.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new MH. I use a Commercial Carriers Atlas for this reason. The roads are hilighted in orange, this means the bridges are 13,6 or higher. If a tracter trailer can use the road, it will be OK for me. Sounds like you have traveled this road before maybe.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #7

You must live in the Northeast somewhere. I use this site:

Low Clearances

It has the main routes only. There are still lots of low bridges on side streets and out of the way places that you have to watch out for. But for US and State highways it is pretty good. Also, in the mountains a lot of tunnels need to be watch for as well.

Bob
Old 03-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #8

you can't be newbee, a newbee wouldn't have noticed the sigh until they heard the crash, welcome to the forum.

safe travels

Richard

Neko & Nilla
rbracing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The newer GPS receivers such as the Rand McNally RVND 5510 or the new 7" screen model one allow you to program in your vehicle "specs", such as height, weight, etc and it will select routes accordingly. Of course as we all know relying on these things 100% is a recipe for disaster. Use them as a guide only.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
If I'm going to use a road that I'm not sure about I'll check google earth to see if I can spot any tractor trailers on that road. If a TT fits I know I'll fit.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bassoneman,
In addition to the posted advice, you'll need more room that what you measure with the coach just sitting idle. As the coach travels down the road it is going up/down and leaning left/right constantly. Bridge height measurements are suppose to be taken at the lowest point over the road surface. This could be anywhere over the road surface.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

When measuring your coach be sure it's level and at ride height.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thing to remember, Many truckers had been going down a stretch of road without problems.... THEN the state re-surfaced the road by putting an inch of blacktop or so on top of the somewhat worn concrete... The result is the bridge they had been flying under with half an inch to spare... Was now half an inch TOO LOW and WHAM.

They change the signs AFTER they pave the road.. sometimes many months after.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #14

Thank you for your comments. As a young buck I my ex father inlaw used to let me use his Mini Winnie. You know the old Class A short ones. I was lucky back then. Never thought about bridge height.. WOW!!!!
bassoneman is offline   Reply With Quote