Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
Agreed......my first RV was a Class C on the sprinter chassis (no slides)....got rid of it quick for Class A with slides so I could sleep at night. Couldn't give me a non-slide RV.

Hhg
that's like comparing a walk-in closet to an over night bag. The premise here is really in the big DP category. Many bedroom slides eliminate cross ventilation and eliminate any practical use of the stern quarters. Many front slides these days are deeper and the designers are moving the furniture into the isle. Look at a booth from an early 90's coach and from a 2013 unit. The 2013 is twice the width either for bigger rumps, more people or other reasons in order to sacrifice less movement in the isle during travel. The point here only that the design is focused on destination setup than motoring setup.
Kasebeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #30

I with you on this. I'd like a nice 30-32 footer wide body, no slides, twin beds, bare minimum number of roof protrusions. I don't need a skylight in the bathroom but do need the headroom. I don't need a dinette for four, just a table and chairs(2). While I'm at it, I don't need an oven or stove. I don't need a sofa that makes into a bed.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
The perfect coach for you would be the one Robin Williams used in his movie RV. It had a big living room slide when they were camping but when he was driving magically there was no slide.
good one!!
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I with you on this. I'd like a nice 30-32 footer wide body, no slides, twin beds, bare minimum number of roof protrusions. I don't need a skylight in the bathroom but do need the headroom. I don't need a dinette for four, just a table and chairs(2). While I'm at it, I don't need an oven or stove. I don't need a sofa that makes into a bed.

Ditto ... I'm looking for function, not stuff I don't want or need. However, I do understand I'm in a minority and manufacturers design for mass appeal.

If you want to get an idea of what's really going on, just have a look at the number of posts relating to issues vs. "sure is pretty here in (pick a spot)".

And ... how many of those issues relate to "features" that aren't really necessary (BIRDs, Surround Sound, Salesman Switches, stuck slides, multiple TVs not working) ??

What in the world happened to just enjoying a bit of traveling and sight seeing without worrying about some widget imploding ?? Just sayin' ...

OK ... rant over ... gotta' go sit outside and read a book ...
Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
I get all the arguments for no slides, but the potential market is so
small that it does not justify manufacturing them. The vast majority of people want space. Just go to any RV show and see which coaches are crowded with lookers. Personally I could do without slides, but I'd have to leave the wife home.

As it is, we found a floorplan that allows generous space with the slides in. That was a requirement. We fell in love with a coach but rejected it on that issue alone.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #34

I had Class As with 2 and then 4 slides, loved the space but there are issues. In cold temps with and with snow slides create issues and many times, certain areas cannot be accessed with the slides in and of course, we all know a slide that will not come in prevents you from moving,

I now have a B+, no slides, and it suits us fine for our scaled down RV lifestyle.

So of course new RVs are made without slides, but I have not seen any new Class A RVs without slides.

Different strokes for different folks.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I had Class As with 2 and then 4 slides, loved the space but there are issues. In cold temps with and with snow slides create issues and many times, certain areas cannot be accessed with the slides in and of course, we all know a slide that will not come in prevents you from moving,

I now have a B+, no slides, and it suits us fine for our scaled down RV lifestyle.

So of course new RVs are made without slides, but I have not seen any new Class A RVs without slides.

Different strokes for different folks.
Indeed !!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #36

Personally, I like twin beds. There is a lot of walk space and getting in bed is easy. I don't want the floor to ceiling side cabinets that cause making the bed a pain. I definitely don't want a bed where one of the occupants has to crawl over the other to get out. When I went to the RV show there wasn't one rv of any type that had twin beds. As far as slides go I'm on the fence. My HR doesn't have it and I survive without it, but I could see having more space. Last year at the RV show I found my almost perfect RV. It was a Classic Airstream Trailer, 28ft., no slides, twin beds, lots of open space, and beautifully finished. It also had a price tag of $90,000. For that kind of money I want an engine in it.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
We had a couple fifth wheels with slides, and one of them was useable with the slide in and the other was not. When we bought our coach is was very important to us that it was usable with the slide in. We also went with the older coach with the single slide that is not real deep. The one fiver we had we had nothing but problems with the huge deep slide. We also opted for no bedroom slide as the one we have gives better access to the engine compartment for repairs and servicing. It also has a side radiator which is a blessing for working on it.
The only thing I would want different would be the mid entry. All the reasons that were posted above about having mid entry would work great for us.

What it boils down to is it depends on your individual needs on what works best. I agree it would be nice if the manufacturers would offer that option. Until they do I will keep what I have.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #38

As I'm typing this there are several other discussions going on about slides not working. A couple are listed at the bottom of this page such as:

Stuck in driveway with slide not coming in '12 Southwind 32VS

Bedroom Slide Out Issue '06 Allegro

2003 National Dolphin LX Living room slide quit working

Dealers for Palazzo Problems & Thor Slide Problems

And there's lots of other discussions in other forums. Now I understand any system can be a problem in a motor home but a slide that won't come in can ruin a trip. Many have made the decision to avoid those problems and some are willing to risk them for the extra room and less cargo capacity.

Not being able to sell a RV with no slides is pure crap. It's a salesman's choice how he wants to present a unit. The other side of the coin from slides offering more space is an RV without them has more cargo carrying capacity, no slides to break down, and it costs less. Some I've seen recently with slides have almost no cargo capacity left by the time you put gas and water in them.

If it was the case that you can't sell a motor home with no slides then no one would be buying class B's. Maybe a new A would be harder to sell with no slides but there is a difference between full timing in an A and someone who wants a C or B for camping.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #39

Old Radios, part of your post was true regarding comparing a C to an A. That is why the Lazy Days link offered by the OP is way off base. There is no comparison to a smaller class C to a 40ft. diesel pusher whether it has slides or not. Obviously the market majority is what will dictate what the manufacturers put out there and market forces will tell them if they like what they see or not. Remember the Edsel? The people spoke. Go ahead spend the money on a custom made DP with out slides, they are available if you have the bucks to order custom built, but be prepared to make this your last A, or have the financial wither all that when you would go to make a change your custom no slide DP has very few interested buyers. I can see it now, you have to give it away but the comment would be, see, I was able to sell it, no problem.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #40

I also vote that there are people like me, that don't need or want slides. Having said that, I offer this from Matt Perlot, the founder of Safari, at the 1995 Safari Eastern Homecoming. When asked about slides, he said "No motorhome with the name of Safari will ever leave my factory with a slide". Well, the market apparently talked, since Safari offered slides shortly after. That doesn't mean there isn't a market for non-slide motorhomes; the Safari TREK went from 1991 to 2002 without slides, and only offered the feature in limited models until their demise after the 2008 model year. Used TREKS are highly prized, sell well to their selective market, and very few have slides.

As Kasebeau2 said, the people who don't want slides may be a smaller group, but they still exist. Just like those who don't believe that bigger is better; everyone gets to make their own choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasebeau2 View Post
....Non-slides...is a different demographic not a non existent demographic. It may represent a smaller piece of the pie but a piece of the pie nevertheless.

That notion that one will never resell it is the very issue that has leaked into the manufactuers design mantra. Focus only on one segment, the empty nester, snow birds.

Fact is many folks make use of a "motor" "home" as those do with a "destination" "home."

As I said tell that to loyal owners of Lazy Daze:
Motorhome Dealer | Low Profile Motorhome | RV Manufacturer | Quality Motorhome
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #41

I agree, there is a small select and fewer number of buyers for non slide coaches. We found one, enjoyed it for 2 years, sold it for more than our purchase price in 4 days to someone wanting non slide. We found and bought our second non slide, as the seller stepped up to a two slide but same length, same brand.

They found out after moving everything they carried for their 6 month winter trip into the newer coach they had lost almost half their storage spaces inside and more in the bays. Yes they have lots of carpet space.

We see the prices on our coach have not fallen, but might be up some, judging from watching the market for like kind, length, model, features and condition and upgrades.

Once had a salesman tell me not to buy his $59,000 non slide, but to look at the $119,000 unit, with the slide. Said better resale! I asked how much I could loose? He did not know. Seems to me, my loss could only be less than half as much money on the non slide unit if it became totally worthless.

Also have friend with very deep pockets. He moved up and up, finally to a top of the line, 4 slide. After 2 years of headaches and expenses, he sold it. He dropped back 6 years to a non slide Prevost, for less money, and reports after 3 years and 30,000 miles he will likely never have another slide coach.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #42
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Buy a unconverted Prevost bus shell and take it to the convertor of your choice. Have them do it "your way."

Tags
slide