Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

Britetek roofing

My 07 jayco had some damage to the roof from a battle with my awning in a high wind storm.
I am having it replaced and the repair shop called today to tell me that there is some spots if rotting wood, and in places that water couldn't get to.
He seems to think that the roof is sweating with the felt backing on the britek material.
He asked if i wanted to go back with the same or just go with a epdm roof membrane?
He is replacing the roof deck so no more rot. But this trailer is only 6 years old and i don't want to go through this again.
Has anyone heard of this " sweating" before?
We live on the gulf coast outside of Houston so we have very high temps and high humidity.
Thanks
Robert
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of it. Nor can I imagine any place that water couldn't get to. I would stick with TPO (e.g. Britek) - it is a far superior material to EPDM.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22 View Post
My 07 jayco had some damage to the roof from a battle with my awning in a high wind storm.
I am having it replaced and the repair shop called today to tell me that there is some spots if rotting wood, and in places that water couldn't get to.
He seems to think that the roof is sweating with the felt backing on the britek material.
He asked if i wanted to go back with the same or just go with a epdm roof membrane?
He is replacing the roof deck so no more rot. But this trailer is only 6 years old and i don't want to go through this again.
Has anyone heard of this " sweating" before?
We live on the gulf coast outside of Houston so we have very high temps and high humidity.
Thanks
Robert
I had a JAYCO BAHA 27' tag trailer with the same issue. I talked to JAYCO tech support and was basicly on my own for an expensive repair. I was going to strip it and replace with RUBBER TYPE..........Way superior than the felt-backed garbage they had put on. They know about this problem and just spit the units out. Leave it up to the final customer when after 4-5 years problems start popping up.
I ended up selling the trailer. I would never buy another with that type of roof material. Will not buy a trailer anyway because have a MH.
Call right to JAYCO and see what they say about your roof.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #4

Thanks gonna go back with epdm ( rubber). Just went and looked at the roof with the britetek removed, it is in bad shape and cannot find how the water got to some areas. Oh well all new decking going on so with a new membrane should be good for awhile.
Thanks for replies
Robert
Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi lx22,
I guess is all depends on the installation and what is supporting the Britek. For me, my coach with Britek roof is now 8 years old. It has been through a tornado and just about anything mother nature can throw at it (like golf ball size hail). The coach is dry as a can be and the roof remains solid. Newmar does build the roof sub structure out of aluminum.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just do some Googlin' and you'll find many others that needed a re-roof. They are also '06, '07, '08 and that's not very old for needing a new roof.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Just do some Googlin' and you'll find many others that needed a re-roof. They are also '06, '07, '08 and that's not very old for needing a new roof.
Yes i found lots of problems with those years of jayco's with roof problems. Found out they went back to epdm in 08 to 09 so that tells you they where having trouble.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: TPO Roof on Jayco Jayfeather Line JAYCO REPLY " New Post"
This is a good read.
Even though TPO is supposed to be tougher and more superior as they claim, the TPO felt backing will wick water and pull it in all over the roof in different areas. That's what mine had. You could go up on the roof and see darker black-like patchy areas all over. That was water wicked up some how. The roof will rot out like nobodies business.
Here's some more..
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: TPO Roof on Jayco Jayfeather Line JAYCO REPLY " New Post"
Jayco knows that there are certian 2005 thru 2007 Jayfeather and Jayflight units which wre installed with the TPO felt lined roofing which had serious issues. It took a few years but poor material choices and a RV boom in the mentioned years caught up to Jayco's reputation. I had a Jayfeather which leaked like a sive, sadly I mad repeated efforts to have the unit corrected but at the end I was exhausted and disappointed in the "Jayco quality" every one else seems to talk about.

I know myself, I was quite "Pissed" with Jayco. Swore I would never have another.......Especially anything with a TPO roof system. Seen it, been there, done that.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Never heard of it. Nor can I imagine any place that water couldn't get to. I would stick with TPO (e.g. Britek) - it is a far superior material to EPDM.
Exactly
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: TPO Roof on Jayco Jayfeather Line JAYCO REPLY " New Post"
This is a good read.
Even though TPO is supposed to be tougher and more superior as they claim, the TPO felt backing will wick water and pull it in all over the roof in different areas. That's what mine had. You could go up on the roof and see darker black-like patchy areas all over. That was water wicked up some how. The roof will rot out like nobodies business.
Here's some more..
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: TPO Roof on Jayco Jayfeather Line JAYCO REPLY " New Post"
Jayco knows that there are certian 2005 thru 2007 Jayfeather and Jayflight units which wre installed with the TPO felt lined roofing which had serious issues. It took a few years but poor material choices and a RV boom in the mentioned years caught up to Jayco's reputation. I had a Jayfeather which leaked like a sive, sadly I mad repeated efforts to have the unit corrected but at the end I was exhausted and disappointed in the "Jayco quality" every one else seems to talk about.

I know myself, I was quite "Pissed" with Jayco. Swore I would never have another.......Especially anything with a TPO roof system. Seen it, been there, done that.
Newmar has been using Brite Tek roofing since around 2000. I've never experienced nor heard of anyone with a Newmar having troubles due to what you describe and I run a Newmar specific site in addition to posting here.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco has had a lot of roof troubles, which seems strange for an otherwise quality RV manufacturer. But they are the only ones with TPO problems - just about everybody else uses Britek (or equivalent) except on their entry-price units (EPDM) and higher end stuff (which is fiberglass).

Has to be something wrong with Jayco's substrate or manufacturing process, but they have been struggling with it for awhile now. But that is no reason to condemn an excellent material.

You can read about the differences between EPDM and TPO in this article, written in layman's terms.
http://rv-pro.com/articles/suppliers...ber-meets-roof
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Five years and roof is rotting? That is either shoddy workmanship, poor design or poor product. Glad I read this post I won't be buying a Jayco.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a neighbor at my fish camp in central fl (lake george) who owns a Jayco unit and the whole thing is falling apart. Relatively new and 20k +. What a hunk of dookie. He doesn't even move the poor thing!
perrybass is offline   Reply With Quote