Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Thank you for the update, what are you thinking about having serviced to prevent a replay when it gets into cold weather again?
Obviously, I'm going to either rebuild or replace the drier. :-). I seriously doubt that the weather had anything to do with it failing, it wasn't that cold. Just one of those things.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems like a good choice, better safe than sorry.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Okay, so if the drier were bad, stopped up, why didn't the compressor build up air in the line to the drier and then stop pumping? Did you have a leak at the drier like the filter loose? There has to be more to this story, I am not buying it as is. What was wrong with the drier?
Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
...Tomorrow before the coach gets put away there WILL be a set of wrenches up to 1 1/2" stocked! I would have been able to be rolling 2 days ago if I had had the wrenches with me. ...)
Harbor Freight is your friend for large, seldom used wrenches and sockets. I learned my lesson too. 1-3/16 is as large as I have needed, but have up 1-1/4.

Glad you make it home OK and consider $240 one of the cheaper lessons!

I blew transmission fluid going west up the mountains out of Death Valley last spring!

And before those who don't like HF chime in, if I can bend a 1"+ wrench, it's above my pay grade anyway!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I called GS before I paid him, and yep, they pay ONE way. "We bring the shop to you" was the explanation they gave me. We get to pay to have the "shop" get back home. I imagine it would be different with a tow, which is why they do their best to not do those. LOL.
The GS Number you called is the dispatch folks which are let's say, better at dispatching than knowing what is covered. I would go ask over at rv.net, I had GS send out a mobile mechanic less than a year ago and all I paid for was parts and labor while they were here, not his travel time to and from. Maybe get back a few dollars.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
When was the last service on the air dryer? Just served mine and I think it's every three years. Kits are not cheap but better than a long layover plus $$$$.

LEN
Old 01-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzuki View Post
Okay, so if the drier were bad, stopped up, why didn't the compressor build up air in the line to the drier and then stop pumping? Did you have a leak at the drier like the filter loose? There has to be more to this story, I am not buying it as is. What was wrong with the drier?
Until the mechanic showed up with the wrenches, I was unable to remove the inlet to the drier. I was only able to remove the outlet. :-)
Old 01-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I called GS before I paid him, and yep, they pay ONE way. "We bring the shop to you" was the explanation they gave me. We get to pay to have the "shop" get back home. I imagine it would be different with a tow, which is why they do their best to not do those. LOL.
Yet another reason we will stay with Coach-Net. Glad it worked out for you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Great news and didn't break the bank
The one time I needed to get towed they came too me (of course) Hooked up the MH and off we went. He dropped us off @ the MH place and off they went. Him & his wife had too drive 170 miles back to his base. I never opened my wallet. Ins Co. picked up the whole thing.
I let my Good Sam's expire. Why do I need them when my ins has the same thing.
Check out your Ins policy.
Tim
Your insurance may include towing, but does it include "roadside assistance?" (Plus, we find the technical help line from Coach-net worth the annual fee. Once when we couldn't get our hydraulic jacks to retract, their technician walked my husband through the manual override on the phone.)

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:03 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzuki View Post
Dryer purge valve stuck open= Air compressor can't build pressure in tanks with a 3/4" open hole in the system.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:11 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
Dryer purge valve stuck open= Air compressor can't build pressure in tanks with a 3/4" open hole in the system.
X-2,
Rail!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
That should have been pretty easy to diagnose, lots of air would be coming out of port. Should have noticed that. Just sayin'
Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #41

Some air dryer discharge ports are threaded, may be a good idea to carry a plug for it.

At idle, the amount of air comming out of a compressor isn`t that much. We used to rev them up and listen for air leaking.

Just saying
Old 01-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #42

Many places sell factory rebuilt for LESS than just the element.

We have gillig chassis and ad9 (me thinks...) drier.

Ordered kit from gillig and it was missing some items to called terminal air brake and they advised never self do because cost and to bring ours in.

They had matching bendix rebuilt on on the shelf for about 1/2 the cost for the parts and the rebuild is everything not just the element.

Do take yours in as there are different varying configurations for the connections and you can either get exact one or adaptors to make it work.