Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #15

Cat comp pic. The plate I'm talking about is pictured here on top...5 attaching bolts. Lift carefully to avoid gasket damage. If gasket damaged, replicate using thin cardboard or construction paper in a pinch.
Cheers Rick T.
p.s. still trying to find a pic of valve below cover...let us know how things work out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat comp.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	82600  
wowlites is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #16

first thing I would do is remove the air line off of the compressor and start the mh.Get out and check to see if the compressor is pumping air.If you can find some air brake antifreeze pour it in the air line and reattach the air line to the compressor(I dont thing youre air lines are frozen [moderator edit]) do you drain your air tanks? hot days and cold nights will billed up condensation in the air tanks and the air dryer wont get 100% of it out
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #17

Broke down in Death Valley

I'm interested in what happens.
Post is so I'm subscribed.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=dvmweb;2369629]I'm interested in what happens.
Post is so I'm subscribed.

Me too, good luck!

+1
kpshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Cat comp pic. The plate I'm talking about is pictured here on top...5 attaching bolts. Lift carefully to avoid gasket damage. If gasket damaged, replicate using thin cardboard or construction paper in a pinch.
Cheers Rick T.
p.s. still trying to find a pic of valve below cover...let us know how things work out.

ID: 82600
That is a Bendix Tu Flow compressor, and the valves under that plate are the unloaders.( if they are stuck open, you will build no air)
Here is a Bendix trouble shooting guide:
http://www.bendix.com/media/document...otingguide.pdf
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Where did they tow you to? Any diagnosis?
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #21

Another update;
Good Sam sent out a "mechanic" to try to get me back on the road. He was a really nice guy, but one usually expects the 'expert' to know more than you do. LOL. To his credit, he wasn't above listening to suggestions and made a couple phone calls to his boss/dispatcher for his input.
First order of business; pull the line off the compressor head and fire it up. We have air! . Put that back on, climbed underneath and pulled the line coming in the drier and repeat. Two for two! Disassembled the fittings at the drier and collared them together bypassing the drier all together. Fired it up again, and voilà! Back in business.
Made it back home a few hours ago with no further drama.
Tomorrow before the coach gets put away there WILL be a set of wrenches up to 1 1/2" stocked! I would have been able to be rolling 2 days ago if I had had the wrenches with me.
What did strike me as ridiculous was that Good Sam pays for the call out and travel to the breakdown. Getting him home is up to the customer. Really? What's he supposed to do, sleep in his truck until his next call? LOL.
Oh, well. It ended up costing me $240.00 to borrow the wrenches and wrench holder, not counting buying a new drier or overhauling the current one. . Not too bad, I suppose.
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad to hear that you made it ok. That was quite a saga to follow.
kpshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
Another update;
Good Sam sent out a "mechanic" to try to get me back on the road. He was a really nice guy, but one usually expects the 'expert' to know more than you do. LOL. To his credit, he wasn't above listening to suggestions and made a couple phone calls to his boss/dispatcher for his input.
First order of business; pull the line off the compressor head and fire it up. We have air! . Put that back on, climbed underneath and pulled the line coming in the drier and repeat. Two for two! Disassembled the fittings at the drier and collared them together bypassing the drier all together. Fired it up again, and voilà! Back in business.
Made it back home a few hours ago with no further drama.
Tomorrow before the coach gets put away there WILL be a set of wrenches up to 1 1/2" stocked! I would have been able to be rolling 2 days ago if I had had the wrenches with me.
What did strike me as ridiculous was that Good Sam pays for the call out and travel to the breakdown. Getting him home is up to the customer. Really? What's he supposed to do, sleep in his truck until his next call? LOL.
Oh, well. It ended up costing me $240.00 to borrow the wrenches and wrench holder, not counting buying a new drier or overhauling the current one. . Not too bad, I suppose.
Glad you got it figured out and got home safely. Now, about that Good Sam thing... what?? I have never heard of such a thing.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:40 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
I thought the call out included travel both ways? It does on Coach Net, or at least it did for the three times I've used them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:27 AM   #25

Sounds like the mobile mechanic tried to soak you. Good Sam pays for the service call, you pay for the time they are boots on the ground with you. Let GS know. When it happened to me, they stood behind it and offered reimbursement immediately.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:38 AM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update, what are you thinking about having serviced to prevent a replay when it gets into cold weather again?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:15 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Great news and didn't break the bank
The one time I needed to get towed they came too me (of course) Hooked up the MH and off we went. He dropped us off @ the MH place and off they went. Him & his wife had too drive 170 miles back to his base. I never opened my wallet. Ins Co. picked up the whole thing.
I let my Good Sam's expire. Why do I need them when my ins has the same thing.
Check out your Ins policy.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
Sounds like the mobile mechanic tried to soak you. Good Sam pays for the service call, you pay for the time they are boots on the ground with you. Let GS know. When it happened to me, they stood behind it and offered reimbursement immediately.
I called GS before I paid him, and yep, they pay ONE way. "We bring the shop to you" was the explanation they gave me. We get to pay to have the "shop" get back home. I imagine it would be different with a tow, which is why they do their best to not do those. LOL.
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote