Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I would MAKE IT BETTER with my repair.

Forget screws - use a "blind nut" insert so you can use a bolt for the mount.
Like this:
Blind Rivet Nuts - Bolt Products, Inc.

There's no need to access the backside of the wall with these.
Those look like the perfect fix. Now if I can just find them in small quantities at a fair price.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #16

Using through bolts with nuts, backing plates, etc. will make things much stronger and more secure without a doubt. However a fix such as that is not what the manufacturer used during construction. Things can happen to awning struts that can apply tremendous stress to them. If something, motorcycle, car, drunken fat guy, etc. smashes into the strut I would rather have it rip loose from the side of the RV than have the side of the RV get ripped out. Using the original screws as it was originally fasten in place at the factory is the way I would go.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
Using through bolts with nuts, backing plates, etc. will make things much stronger and more secure without a doubt. However a fix such as that is not what the manufacturer used during construction. Things can happen to awning struts that can apply tremendous stress to them. If something, motorcycle, car, drunken fat guy, etc. smashes into the strut I would rather have it rip loose from the side of the RV than have the side of the RV get ripped out. Using the original screws as it was originally fasten in place at the factory is the way I would go.
Very good point about making it maybe TOO strong and having other problems as you mentioned, drunk guy, car, etc. I didn't know of the rivets that have internal threads in them, but I like the idea. I'll be looking to see if there's a store in town that specializes in fasteners of this type. Watched a couple of Youtube videos on how they work and different tools used to install them and they look to be easy enough and slightly stronger than the original method.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll be sure to post once the repair is completed.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i would still rather have the strut very securely fastened to the rv. less chance of the wind ripping the whole thing off the side of the coach. and if you are worried about a car or cycle hitting the strut, they would probably hit the side of the rv too. that whole section would need to be repaired anyway.

besides, it would be lots more fun to hear the CLANG! when the drunken fat guy on the cycle runs into the strut in the campground and he gets laid out flat, with a diagonal crease in his head.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
picked up nutserts, stainless bolts and tool for $22. Should work out well
Old 12-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
picked up nutserts, stainless bolts and tool for $22. Should work out well
Might I ask were you found them?

Getting a small quantity is always the problem...everyone want to sell them by the "gross" and the common hardware stores are no help for these kind of specialty fasteners.

Best of luck with the fix!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #21

Nutserts is what i meant by inserts, my kit is 30 years old and did not know if still available.

CAUTION...BE SURE CORRECT DRILL SIZE!!!!!

They must have a snug fit otherwise no good.

Not sure on the wall thickness, but if it is glass over strut the insert will dig into the glass and bite the frame

May need a real thin washer on the face, 1/32 or less in exact size.

These work GREAT as long as they are properly installed.

For added strength epoxy the outside of the insert to give it some help.

Oil up a screw and use it to make sure threads are clear
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Might I ask were you found them?

Getting a small quantity is always the problem...everyone want to sell them by the "gross" and the common hardware stores are no help for these kind of specialty fasteners.

Best of luck with the fix!
I got them from a store here in Reno, name of R & E Fasteners. For $6 less, I saw a kit the following day in Harbor Freight than came with the tool and an assortment of different nutserts. No bolts though. The customer service at R & E was excellent though and worth the higher cost in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Nutserts is what i meant by inserts, my kit is 30 years old and did not know if still available.

CAUTION...BE SURE CORRECT DRILL SIZE!!!!!

They must have a snug fit otherwise no good.

Not sure on the wall thickness, but if it is glass over strut the insert will dig into the glass and bite the frame

May need a real thin washer on the face, 1/32 or less in exact size.

These work GREAT as long as they are properly installed.

For added strength epoxy the outside of the insert to give it some help.

Oil up a screw and use it to make sure threads are clear
Thanks for the tip on the correct drill size, I can see where that would be very important, as the nutserts have vertical bite groves machined into the sleeve portion that seats in the hole. The guy at the counter where I bought them was very helpful and calipered the nutserts at 9mm. So I just need to find a 9mm drill bit now. 3/8 would work if I wallow out the hole a tiny bit. The epoxy isn't a bad idea either. Not sure the washers are needed though. The surface area of the base plate that's being mounted, is much more than the the area of the nutserts, so them pushing back into the coach wall is not likely.

Pulling out now? I guess it could happen if I goof up again, but it took closing the awning arm on the flagpole 3 times before they finally popped out. Yessir I learned my lesson this last time.

The original screws were just self taping screws than got their bite from nothing more than the thickness of the steel backing. 1/8" I'd guess. They held up to a micro burst storm in the desert with 60mph gusts, awning fully extended. They didn't hold up to my stupidity though. With the nutserts I'll have a good 1/4" of threads for the bolts to hang on to.

Never used them or even knew they existed. Sure a dang good invention though, whoever came up with it years ago.

I'll post results of the final fix after I "git er done".

Big THANK YOU, to you sir, and Scarab 0088, for turning me on to these cool little devices. Thank you to the rest that chimed in as well. What a great community here on iRv2!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
besides, it would be lots more fun to hear the CLANG! when the drunken fat guy on the cycle runs into the strut in the campground and he gets laid out flat, with a diagonal crease in his head.
I keep reading this and smiling. You're right, it would be hilarious hearing the CLANG of someone hitting the strut. My buddy that's 6'6", 315, hits his head a few times every time he tailgates with us, and I can't help but laugh with him as he's holding his head, saying oww. I couldn't imagine it happening in a campground though. Every place we camp, the coach is pretty much perpendicular to the road. For someone to hit the strut they'd have to be way off course or intentionally riding through our sitting area under the awning, and if that were the case and they wonked their head, they'd deserve it.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #25

Our awning bracket bolts also pulled out of our 5th wheel. The backer board inside the wall was placed incorrectly so there was nothing for the bolt to bite into. After many thoughtful discussions with the manufacturer, we finally had to drill completely through to the inside and secure it that way. It is on a nice piece of wood but still somewhat of an eyesore. The manufacturer came up with a small cabinet to put over the board but it will need some sort of modification to work.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
I'm gonna get to those nutserts eventually. Coach is parked for a few months now till Spring time comes around, so it's not a rush. Could have done it today, but spent the morning replacing the radiator in our Tundra, that the wife drove over a rock. No..........wait it wasn't a rock, it was a FLIPPING BOULDER!. A boulder the size of an engine block. Her response, when I arrived, "I didn't see it". Being the good DH I am I didn't get angry and make her feel any worse than she already did. I did tell her "I'm glad you didn't see it, if you'd seen it and run over it then I'd be worried". Smiling all the while. Insurance deductible - $500. Cost for self repair $150 for brand new radiator and 2 gallons of antifreeze. And a free day off from the boss.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Used the nutserts this weekend to repair the awning. Great little devices! Repair came out fine. Back side of nutserts pinching made outside panel push out just a little bit, so the bracket doesn't sit perfectly flat against panel. Not to unsightly though and I'll silicone around the gap to keep weather out.

Tags
awning