Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #15

Thanks everyone! Yes,we will be filing a police report and after a brief call to AAA where we have all coverages we were advised that it may be best to use homeowners since none of the contents were factory installed. i.e. the flat screen tv's and aftermarket radio and all the household stuff. They even took paper plates and my good ForceFlex trash bags!! The whole box of about 75 but left the box 😳. Methheads I'm sure. I will update this after we get concrete info about the claim for your interest! Thanks again. It's always nice to hear from you guys who give good advice 😊

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #16

Oh, one more thing..... Moving to a more secure storage facility tomorrow! Nearly twice as much as the other but much better peace of mind.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
You may want to verify that. Some of the things that were taken from the op's RV were not what a regular HO policy covers . A HO's policy will generally cover your personal property from your home while in the RV but not property that is part of the RV. That's the way I always understood it but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong
I have verified it. Everything that is part of the operation of the motorhome and it's systems is covered in the RV policy. Everything else including everything that's not physically attached is covered by my homeowners (100% replacement value). Both policies are with the same company so there can't be any finger pointing.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
I have verified it. Everything that is part of the operation of the motorhome and it's systems is covered in the RV policy. Everything else including everything that's not physically attached is covered by my homeowners (100% replacement value). Both policies are with the same company so there can't be any finger pointing.
Just to clarify, you may be covered 100% replacement value for personal property because you pay to have this, not everyone buys replacement cost coverage for personal property on a homeowners. OP would need to look or ask how his present coverage is written, whether it is Replacement Cost or Actual Cash Value.

I have also seen lawn furniture, outdoor carpets etc that were purchased for the RV not covered by Homeowners, so it is still a good idea to have some personal property on your RV policy in my opinion.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Let me add this, we are FT and as FTers we needed separate FT riders to cover our contents simply because we no longer had homeowner's insurance.

Your homeowner's insurance should cover the contents while in storage. The vehicle insurance only covers while on the move.

As a side note, we all lock our RVs to prevent easy access, but guess what, most RVs have a ladder up the back. This allows smaller persons access through roof openings. We should all look at this method of access into our RVs.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 PM   #20

I suppose the lesson here is one should call their agent and request clear document indicating exactly what and how covered.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #21

Ok folks, here's the update: We filed our police report, fingerprints lifted and DNA samples collected. Looked like a real crime scene, lol. We got our little Star (DutchStar, that is &#128521 cleaned, disinfected and cootie-proofed back to normal. We moved her immediately after to a new home with ten foot walls and security cameras. More expensive for sure but peace of mind is important! Our AAA homeowners policy will cover loss since we have full replacement value which is what I would highly recommend for everyone. After assessing what we believe we can replace and install everything for, about $1500.00 +- we opted not to file thru insurance since we have a $1,000 deductible. Not worth taking the ding on our insurance rate. So now we are off to shop and replace 1 vacuum cleaner, 2 tv's, 2 DVD players, a dash radio, pots and pans, paper plates and cleaning supplies. Coupons anyone?😜. Life is a journey and we just won't allow some knucklehead, crack addict to steal our joy. Now, back to stargazing after this momentary interruption 😊👍. See ya'll on the road!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am happy you had a positive ending and outlook! Good Luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer79 View Post
Ok folks, here's the update: We filed our police report, fingerprints lifted and DNA samples collected. Looked like a real crime scene, lol. We got our little Star (DutchStar, that is &#128521 cleaned, disinfected and cootie-proofed back to normal. We moved her immediately after to a new home with ten foot walls and security cameras. More expensive for sure but peace of mind is important! Our AAA homeowners policy will cover loss since we have full replacement value which is what I would highly recommend for everyone. After assessing what we believe we can replace and install everything for, about $1500.00 +- we opted not to file thru insurance since we have a $1,000 deductible. Not worth taking the ding on our insurance rate. So now we are off to shop and replace 1 vacuum cleaner, 2 tv's, 2 DVD players, a dash radio, pots and pans, paper plates and cleaning supplies. Coupons anyone?😜. Life is a journey and we just won't allow some knucklehead, crack addict to steal our joy. Now, back to stargazing after this momentary interruption 😊👍. See ya'll on the road!
What really sux about insurance is...we pay the insurance company to protect us financially in the case of a legitimate loss then they threaten you with hints of higher premiums when you legitimately go to them for the help that you've been paying for

In my career, I've been at the scene of hundreds and hundreds of these types of situations. Most of those situations were young folks who could barely afford the payments on their car and were stretched even tighter on insurance coverage when suddenly faced with a loss of a cool, very high-end, extremely overpriced stereo system. Say nothing of the replacement cost of a dash and a window that were unceremoneously destroyed during the theft. They often have high deductibles but I usually suggested they check with their insurance company and ask in writing how much their premium will rise if they submit a claim for X-number of dollars and for how long...then do the math. Example, in your case...just a thought...You're coming out of pocket for $1000. more than you would have had you gone to your ins co. If you're paying $1000 a yr and they raise your rates a ridiculous amount...say 20% which is not likely...and they hold your feet to the fire for 36 months b4 they drop it again, you would have only paid $600. in premium costs thus saving yourself $400. Those numbers are obviously just off-the-cuff examples. The only way to know for certain is to check with your insurance company. Here's another thing...sometimes, they don't and won't raise your rates on a first claim, but many won't tell you that unless you ask. They'd rather everyone think and do as you are doing...and trust me, I'm not speaking critically of what you're doing...I've certainly done it your way as well on at least one occasion. In my situation the ins co. really had me over the barrel...I've since dropped them!

Just food for thought for you and/or others who may find themselves in a similar situation. Good luck Stargazer.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
I suppose the lesson here is one should call their agent and request clear document indicating exactly what and how covered.
Better yet, know what your policy covers before you buy it. A lot of people just shop for lowest price and don't really know whats covered until it's too late.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:13 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Better yet, know what your policy covers before you buy it. A lot of people just shop for lowest price and don't really know whats covered until it's too late.
X-2!

I had a renters policy on the house I was renting, thinking everything was covered? When I got broken into, and a lot of my personal stuff taken, it amounted up to 29,000 dls value. The insurance co. "State Farm" paid me a ttl of 6,900 dls. ! I found out the hard way that they had limits on almost everything, and were very low in my opinion! So I learned to read my policy cover to cover after that!
So know what is covered and what amount they will pay before giving them a dime of your money!
One other thing, the loss is deductible on your income tax, which, me being in business for myself, helped at the end of the year! So I recouped in taxes that I did not have to pay! Still a hard pill to swallow!
Rail!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
I had my tt stolen a couple years back and homeowners would cover the contents only as they were replaced and subject to the deductible(1% of home value). The deductible came to just over a $1,000. It was not worth us to even file a report on the contents. We have since changed insurance company and made sure that contents are covered.