Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Broken Into :-(

Not sure if this the right forum but maybe someone can help. Went to do a routine check on our RV and found it broken into. Both tvs, DVD players, brand new cookware, vacuum, lots of misc cleaning, towels ,etc were taken and all cabs ransacked. Kind of afraid to call ins just yet to report but the question isdoes anyone know if homeowners ins will cover replacement and installation or replacement electronics? And everything else. I'm a bit stunned still so we have to file at least a police report Nd then go from there so we need to do more thorough inventory. Thanks for Suggestions!
Stargazer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #2

What kind of RV are you talking about, trailer or motorhome? Do you have insurance for the RV and if you do I think that should be the company to contact. If you have no insurance for the thing I don't think your home owners will do anything, especially if it is not parked at home. This one of the many reasons I like to keep mine in my own yard.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry hope ins covers it. Our unit is a shorty because we live on a dead end cul de sac and anything longer would require off site storage and loading and way to many $$$'s invested to risk it being out of site for extended periods of time . Is where it is stored a locked and secured site with surveillance as that may have a bearing on insurance
best of luck
brianj
Old 02-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't hesitate! File a Police report and then call your insurance company!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Depending how your homeowners insurance is written, your personal property in the RV should be covered subject to your deductible. I would inventory your items you lost and determine your deductible, it may not be worth submitting the claim? Do you have replacement cost or actual cash value on your personal property? The electronics may be determined to be part of the RV and not your personal property (I disagree with this assessment but many insurance companies do this). You should purchase Personal Property insurance on your RV policy for items in the RV. Good luck and I'm sorry you have had this experience.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

^^^^^ I'll second that!!! ^^^^^^^^^

When I insured our fifth wheel, contents coverage was included in the policy. I seriously doubt that homeowner's would cover it. Then again, I have been wrong before!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

File a police report and call your insurance company right away.

Our homeowners policy covers the contents of the RV no matter where it is. Our RV insurance covers the RV itself.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Broken Into :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Our homeowners policy covers the contents of the RV no matter where it is. Our RV insurance covers the RV itself.

You may want to verify that. Some of the things that were taken from the op's RV were not what a regular HO policy covers . A HO's policy will generally cover your personal property from your home while in the RV but not property that is part of the RV. That's the way I always understood it but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

I second the idea of contacting your storage place and checking if they have cameras, most do these days. They should be anxious to help as the rats having found food will return again. Not likely that your homeowners ins. will cover this but its worth a call to the agent. File a police report as you could get a tax write off. Type up an inventory and what it was worth. You'll need serial numbers, markings , etc. for the cops to do anything. Your stuff has probably been sold, pawned, etc. so its gone. These clowns work fast. Sorry.
tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What a bummer, I too am glad I have mine in the driveway, I have had someone steal one of my White wheel covers though. So your not safe anywhere anymore. Good Luck, hope it turns out good for you.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
What a bummer, I too am glad I have mine in the driveway, I have had someone steal one of my White wheel covers though. So your not safe anywhere anymore. Good Luck, hope it turns out good for you.
Tim
If it wasan't mentioned, do a FULL inventory...descriptions, serial numbers (if you have them) and value of the items taken. THEN do your police report. Even if the officer(s) don't come to the scene (which, due to manning in most agencies they probably won't) they'll take a report over the phone and give you a case number...your insurance company will want that number. The reason I stress FULL inventory, above the obvious, is, assuming Insurance will cover your loss, they frown on any report that shows you had to do an addendum after the initial report because you "just happened to remember" that top of the line Weber that was taken. Know what I mean. Good luck.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #12

I have Sate Farm Ins- home owners cover all that kind of problem.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Please let us know how it turns out, could be beneficial information for others
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Opps, I missed dounut lovers post, so this is a repeat.
Next, do your best to document everything you had in the RV; date of purchase, cost, etc. receipts are the best, but a list from you is next-best.
Trying to list everything while facing the adjuster or completing a police report is intimidating.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote